• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2011
    Still haven't decided, have to watch the movie first. But it's a nice review to read Erik.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 2 (Hans Zimmer)

Variable. Not too keen on the action music, but love the calmer, Hispanic flavours with guitar and vocals.

Are you playing Zimmer worst albums and scores these days for some reason, thor? biggrin

I think M:I2 is a terrible film score but I pretty darn solid album.

-Erik-

Ditto.

It is so disjointed that I couldn't say it's a solid album. And I think the average and annoying "nyah's theme" doesn't help to my enjoyment.

This score was the beggining of this kind of Zimmer releases where he composes 2 cues, the rest his underlings and the he puts some pieces of "music" on a short album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    It is so disjointed that I couldn't say it's a solid album. And I think the average and annoying "nyah's theme" doesn't help to my enjoyment.

It's an excellent theme and the highlight of the score, IMO. As for "Zap Mama "Iko-Iko." Now that's annoying!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Core - Christopher Young

Maybe a bit too much sturm and drang for some, but I think it sustains the very lengthy running time very well - and it's not often I say such a thing!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Tree of Life - Alexandre Desplat

There aren't too many film composers that could pull off a score of this sort. It's so minimal but for some reason I was taken on this extraordinary journey where each and every note... even the long, hypnotic, almost drone like cues... are saying something to me. Desplat's music has sustained my interest without doing a whole hell of a lot, which is saying quite a bit about Desplat's talent, creativity and understanding of the film's subject matter.

On my first listen I was eager to hear where Desplat was going to take his music. And even after 5, 6 and 7 minutes of string textures and piano twinkling, which would normally bore the absolute piss out of me, I was still engaged to the point where I stopped what ever it was I was doing to turn up the volume and give this score my undivided attention. The textures Desplat creates are so simple and yet so achingly beautiful.

But it's not all airy texture and ambiance. Desplat has created some signature melodies as well including a lovely tune for piano, strings and harp in the track "Motherhood." which unfortunately is far too short.

And the range of emotions on display here are incredible especially when a composer uses so little to say so much. In the PR Desplat says, "the score for The Tree of Life had to convey the river - like the motion of life, a fluid stream from birth to death, keeping a sense of Innocence, Purity, Simplicity. But it also had to oppose the Good and Evil, Light and Darkness, Happiness and Sorrow. And express how Love can slowly morph to Anger and back again.” Boy did he ever succeed!

As most of you know I don't really feel many Desplat scores but for some reason I'm falling in love with this score... maybe it has something to do with the fact that I've only had 8 hours sleep in the past 4 days... that could be clouding my judgment. wink And now, because of Desplat's music, I'm interested in seeing the film.

In any case, I'm just as surprised as you all are in reading my praise for this score but it has taken a hold of me and hasn't let go. As it stands right now The Tree of Life one of the finest scores I've heard this year!

shocked << I know.

-Erik-

I had to quote it to know this wasn't a dream. shocked

I agree with what you say though. Listening to it the first time, I didn't think it would become as hypnotic as it is.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Tree of Life - Alexandre Desplat

There aren't too many film composers that could pull off a score of this sort. It's so minimal but for some reason I was taken on this extraordinary journey where each and every note... even the long, hypnotic, almost drone like cues... are saying something to me. Desplat's music has sustained my interest without doing a whole hell of a lot, which is saying quite a bit about Desplat's talent, creativity and understanding of the film's subject matter.

On my first listen I was eager to hear where Desplat was going to take his music. And even after 5, 6 and 7 minutes of string textures and piano twinkling, which would normally bore the absolute piss out of me, I was still engaged to the point where I stopped what ever it was I was doing to turn up the volume and give this score my undivided attention. The textures Desplat creates are so simple and yet so achingly beautiful.

But it's not all airy texture and ambiance. Desplat has created some signature melodies as well including a lovely tune for piano, strings and harp in the track "Motherhood." which unfortunately is far too short.

And the range of emotions on display here are incredible especially when a composer uses so little to say so much. In the PR Desplat says, "the score for The Tree of Life had to convey the river - like the motion of life, a fluid stream from birth to death, keeping a sense of Innocence, Purity, Simplicity. But it also had to oppose the Good and Evil, Light and Darkness, Happiness and Sorrow. And express how Love can slowly morph to Anger and back again.” Boy did he ever succeed!

As most of you know I don't really feel many Desplat scores but for some reason I'm falling in love with this score... maybe it has something to do with the fact that I've only had 8 hours sleep in the past 4 days... that could be clouding my judgment. wink And now, because of Desplat's music, I'm interested in seeing the film.

In any case, I'm just as surprised as you all are in reading my praise for this score but it has taken a hold of me and hasn't let go. As it stands right now The Tree of Life one of the finest scores I've heard this year!

shocked << I know.

-Erik-

I had to quote it to know this wasn't a dream. shocked

I agree with what you say though. Listening to it the first time, I didn't think it would become as hypnotic as it is.

I'm quoting this too, because this is the most shocking review I've read since Broxton's 2-star review of this score.

Nonetheless, good to know that more people are enjoying this score. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2011 edited
    Ohmanohmanohman, and I am STILL AWAITING MY COPY! And I need to wait at least another 2 weeks before it gets released over here! crazy

Oh well, I've waited 4 years for this film, I guess I can wait another... NO! Need. See. It. Score arrives this weekend, if all goes well, so at least hearing it is drawing close...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2011 edited
    NP: ALIEN (Jerry Goldsmith)

Not really because I want to (it's on my sales list), but because I'm also going through my Goldsmith collection by year, and this was next in line. It's the old Silva release, and while it's brilliant in the film, it isn't that rewarding on CD.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2011
    NP Robinson Crusoe On Mars - Van Cleave

Still enjoying this retro sci-fi classic. There's just something great about this little score.

Sadly for me though is I bought a Blu-Ray copy of the movie and it's not multi-regional!
    Bah, can't watch it here in Australia! Why do some companies still produce discs this way?!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: ALIEN (Jerry Goldsmith)

Not really because I want to (it's on my sales list), but because I'm also going through my Goldsmith collection by year, and this was next in line. It's the old Silva release, and while it's brilliant in the film, it isn't that rewarding on CD.

Nowhere near as brilliant as the expanded release, love this score, LOVE IT! in the film and on album.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I second that! Alien is pure awesomeness! One of the best scores ever!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2011 edited
    I agree with the comments on Alien: a brilliant film and a great release on CD. Jumped with joy when it was released expanded.

NP: Il Segreto - Ennio Morricone

It amazes me how I can still find gems like this in Morricone's list of previous works. There's some truly gorgeous music on this - enhanced by the lovely tones of Edda Dell'Orso. "Dal Mare" reminds me very much of Morricone's score for Orca: the wordless vocals and the use of the strings. And that is a great thing!

Take a listen to this track and then tell me it's not gorgeous!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Il Segreto - Ennio Morricone

It amazes me how I can still find gems like this in Morricone's list of previous works. There's some truly gorgeous music on this - enhanced by the lovely tones of Edda Dell'Orso. "Dal Mare" reminds me very much of Morricone's score for Orca: the wordless vocals and the use of the strings. And that is a great thing!

Take a listen to this track and then tell me it's not gorgeous!

Indeed, Alan. The main theme heard in the finale is also a real gem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De8WTZRjz_M

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Drumline (John Powell)

Main theme is catchy and kinda cool. Secondary theme is laidback. Not great, but not a bad listen. The finale theme is only heard shortly, but it's a real gem. Listen to the last theme here where it starts at 1:43, and the last 30 seconds of the track is really gorgeous. The theme is also given a typical Powell trimphant finale in this cue. A shame they are so short, because it's moments like those that make me such a fan of John Powell.

Peter smile
  3. NP: The Greastest Tragedy - Stop Loss (John Powell)

I think that in this point, Powell started to bring a emotional side to his scores.
  4. plindboe wrote
    Drumline (John Powell)

Main theme is catchy and kinda cool. Secondary theme is laidback. Not great, but not a bad listen. The finale theme is only heard shortly, but it's a real gem. Listen to the last theme here where it starts at 1:43, and the last 30 seconds of the track is really gorgeous. The theme is also given a typical Powell trimphant finale in this cue. A shame they are so short, because it's moments like those that make me such a fan of John Powell.

Peter smile

The finale theme is the one which I call Devon's theme. It's played in Devon, Stirring, As A Team and Go Ahead. But in the last cues sounds fully-fledged.

I think there's like 10 minutes of music out of the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    yonythemoony wrote
    The finale theme is the one which I call Devon's theme. It's played in Devon, Stirring, As A Team and Go Ahead. But in the last cues sounds fully-fledged.

Ah, yes, you're right that it's played in laidback style in those tracks. I'm not sure whether to consider a track like Devon two different themes or one theme with two different parts.

Btw, do you know if there's more music in the movie? If not, perhaps that would explain why the score hasn't had a proper release yet.

I can imagine the movie was probably drowned in songs, which could be why Powell's score, while having some great ideas, never really develop them as well as they deserve.

Peter smile
  5. plindboe wrote
    yonythemoony wrote

Ah, yes, you're right that it's played in laidback style in those tracks. I'm not sure whether to consider a track like Devon two different themes or one theme with two different parts.

Btw, do you know if there's more music in the movie? If not, perhaps that would explain why the score hasn't had a proper release yet.

I can imagine the movie was probably drowned in songs, which could be why Powell's score, while having some great ideas, never really develop them as well as they deserve.

Peter smile

Yes. There's more music on the film. And yeah, there's some songs but they don't underwhelm Powell's score. I have no idea why didn't had a proper release. All I know it's that a 21 minutes promo disc was leaked on the web and the CD with the songs of the film was released.

And the order of the cues are really messed up (example: they mixed three cues in Rhythm of Drums and Main Title).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY (Jerry Goldsmith)

Fun score with lots of rambunctious "Englishness" and train-mimicking meters. Melodic and elegant.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY (Jerry Goldsmith)

Fun score with lots of rambunctious "Englishness" and train-mimicking meters. Melodic and elegant.

The music doesn't sound "English" at all, and yet it does, Goldsmith at the height of his powers could nail anything.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SATAN BUG - Jerry Goldsmith

Pretty darn good if you can put up with the odd sound effect here and there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FIRST BLOOD (Jerry Goldsmith)

The main theme is IMO the greatest thing JG ever wrote, connoting loneliness in an autumn-hued, foresty landscape. The action music I can give or take, but has an interesting progression in all its odd meters and rhythms.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME - Maurice Jarre

Awesome score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: Medal of Honor - Michael Giacchino

Great music, the first one is the best for me, then Frontline and Airborne.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Music of James Horner - James Horner and James Horner

I just realised that this is presented in reverse chronological order. I thought it was odd opening with The Karate Kid. Makes for a peculiar listening experience. On the whole, not bad, but some performances are obviously better than others.
  6. With all the talk of what's going to be released by Intrada early next week (Masada?), I saw someone suggest Roots as an alternate title for release. YouTube yielded the main the for the latter and I was reminded how much I liked the theme.

Hunting down the soundtrack release of the Quincy Jones/Gerald Fried I was disappointed by how little of Fried's score had been released. The theme is still great though.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Rock - Hans Zimmer, Nick Glennie-Smith, Harry Gregson-Williams, Don Harper & Crew

One of my all time favorite score to one of my all time favorite movie. The expanded version is great, loaded with sub themes and various arrangements, though it's still missing a few precious minutes. Perhaps that one day, LLL will release a complete version of this score and I'll be the first in line to get it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    lp wrote
    NP: The Rock - Hans Zimmer, Nick Glennie-Smith, Harry Gregson-Williams, Don Harper & Crew

One of my all time favorite score to one of my all time favorite movie. The expanded version is great, loaded with sub themes and various arrangements, though it's still missing a few precious minutes. Perhaps that one day, LLL will release a complete version of this score and I'll be the first in line to get it.

I love the score, but I wouldn't want an expanded version. It is - after all - a very powerful, at times noisy score, and I can't take much more than the 50 minutes or so on the Hollywood release. But it's great while it lasts.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Inception

I have mixed feelings about this score.

I like the electric guitar / pop elements from Dream Within a Dream and dream is collapsing, I love the high tech sound from Mombasa and I quite like the futuristic noir sound of Old Souls. But the whole thing it's not enterely satisfactory.

I don't think the "blade runner" sound fits to the oniric pieces of that film, I think a Solaris-like sound could fit it much better.
  7. Dialga VS. Palkia VS Darkrai/AKA The Rise of Darkrai - Shinji Miyazaki

One of my favorites. I love the darker atmosphere, especially in the tracks later on, and Oracion is just beautiful. Although, I feel somewhat alone in this thread here listening to/mentioning Pokémon music... ._.