• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. James, throw away the original. The re-recording sounds better to me. And I heard this before the original.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2011 edited
    NP: BASIC INSTINCT (Jerry Goldsmith)

One of the most influential scores of the 90s, and continues to influence thriller scores to this day (most recently Chris Bacon's SOURCE CODE).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ummm... I never thought of Goldsmith's score to have that much influence on film music post 1992. But then again I can't think straight today any way... what exactly makes it so influential and what other examples - with specifics to Goldsmith's technique and style from the Instinct - can you make us aware of.

As for the film itself... that's a whole other story. It most definitely is one of the most influential of the 90's especially in the sexual noir sub-genre.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2011
    Y'know... I really don't like the film at all. I think the score is fantastic, A-grade stuff, but I've wondered myself whether it's really as influential as it's made out to be (I can't think of any scores for similar films which are all that influenced by it... though there was a Mark Mancina score which was a pretty blatant rip off of it, I think - was it Domestic Disturbance?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Il Segreto - Ennio

I have had this for years but couldn't remember what it was like... prompted to listen by the recent (brief) discussion of it by Alan and Peter. It's made a good start!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Y'know... I really don't like the film at all. I think the score is fantastic, A-grade stuff, but I've wondered myself whether it's really as influential as it's made out to be (I can't think of any scores for similar films which are all that influenced by it... though there was a Mark Mancina score which was a pretty blatant rip off of it, I think - was it Domestic Disturbance?)

Yeah... Domestic Disturbance. Forgot about that one. Goldsmith even returned to that sleazy, sexual style in Malace and the Hollow Man main theme had an "Instinct" vibe to it.

As for the film, I enjoyed it and I like to revisit it now and again. It's not a particularly complicated film but I like the atmosphere Verhoeven creates and the raw sexual energy on display in the film (even though it's ridiculously over the top.) Jan De Bont's photography is excellent and of course Goldsmith's score is masterful!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Southall wrote
    Il Segreto - Ennio

I have had this for years but couldn't remember what it was like... prompted to listen by the recent (brief) discussion of it by Alan and Peter. It's made a good start!

I am sure that if someone such as yourself talks of it in positive terms then there may be more discussion. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    James, throw away the original. The re-recording sounds better to me. And I heard this before the original.

Just to be devil's advocate, the one thing that doesn't sound better is the electronics in the re-recording. So there is a case for having both. If only the original sounded a bit more alive as a recording.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. I definitely listen to both. But the re-recording is the one I prefer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ummm... I never thought of Goldsmith's score to have that much influence on film music post 1992. But then again I can't think straight today any way... what exactly makes it so influential and what other examples - with specifics to Goldsmith's technique and style from the Instinct - can you make us aware of.

As for the film itself... that's a whole other story. It most definitely is one of the most influential of the 90's especially in the sexual noir sub-genre.

-Erik-

The sleazy, sensual, ice cold string chords and the faint flute motif as counterpoint was heard throughout most erotic thrillers in the 90's (perhaps with a reverberated synth noodlings underneath), and into the 2000's as well....at least untill one got more drone-y. It still pops up in scores that are more retro in design, like the aforementioned SOURCE CODE.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah... that won't do , Thor. That's far too general even for you. I need examples. And I definately didn't get that Basic Instinct vibe from SOURCE CODE. That one is deeply rooted in James Newton Howard territory.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Yeah... that won't do , Thor. That's far too general even for you. I need examples. And I definately didn't get that Basic Instinct vibe from SOURCE CODE. That one is deeply rooted in James Newton Howard territory.

-Erik-

It has a little bit of JNH, absolutely (elements of SIGNS and FUGITIVE in there), but mostly draws on three other distinct traditions - the urban, gritty jazz sound, Goldsmith's BASIC INSTINCT thriller sound and the romantic, almost James Horner-like bittersweetness.

I can give you some examples of the influence, but most of them have been "in-the-moment" experiences, as in "ah, the BASIC INSTINCT sound again!" when I've seen an erotic thriller on tv, and then I've forgotten all about it after that. I must admit you're the first I've met who refute JG's influence with this score. IMO, it's like saying STAR WARS had no influence in terms of orchestral popularity or that Zimmer's power anthems with BLACK RAIN, CRIMSON TIDE etc. had no influence on the film score world. Or Zimmer's wailing woman in GLADIATOR. Or Powell's Bourne riff in the BOURNE films etc.

Oh well, be that as it may.

Some BASIC INSTINCT riffs off the top of my head that I can remember include Howard Shore's SLIVER, David Michael Frank's POISON IVY and Sakamoto's FEMME FATALE. But mostly cheaper fare (with less fear of law suits), stuff like Mark Snow's SEDUCED AND BETRAYED (1995) which you happen to run across on late-night tv. That's where the influence is usually felt.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    ... Sakamoto's FEMME FATALE....

I can't argue with some of the others, but this one -- no way. No BI here. There's a lot of stuff here too.

NP: Yawn. Sometimes film music is boring. But other things are equally boring. A quandary.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. Just played: Braveheart - Horner.

I love this score! It's got so many gorgeous themes (one even used as counterpoint for another at the end) and some wonderful celtic stuff going on. Composed right in the middle of that period where James Horner wrote so many excellent scores, this one is the best of the bunch, in my opinion. It has soft, loud, epic, intimate, playful, intense, etc. And it's a brilliantly produced album. Film music doesn't get much better than this for me.

NP: I am Legend - JNH

There are some really lovely things in this score - far more than I would expect for a score from such a film. Some of the suspense/scary type stuff slows parts of it down, but on the whole, I like this score. It's got the same kind of feel as some of his stuff for M. Night.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2011
    Star Trek II - James Horner

One of his best scores.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  7. christopher wrote
    NP: I am Legend - JNH

There are some really lovely things in this score - far more than I would expect for a score from such a film. Some of the suspense/scary type stuff slows parts of it down, but on the whole, I like this score. It's got the same kind of feel as some of his stuff for M. Night.

I'm still waiting for the extended cut with JNH's music reinserted.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2011 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

I can't argue with some of the others, but this one -- no way. No BI here. There's a lot of stuff here too.

NP: Yawn. Sometimes film music is boring. But other things are equally boring. A quandary.

This one made me go shocked That's one stretch of the imagination there Thor.

I do think that Basic Instinct has been influential in TV scoring though, I can't give any examples but I've heard the sound in a few british TV cop type dramas,
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Thor wrote

One of the most influential scores of the 90s, and continues to influence thriller scores to this day (most recently Chris Bacon's SOURCE CODE).

In my top 10 favourite scores ever.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Thor wrote

In my top 10 favourite scores ever.

I think the score is brilliant and yet I don't think it would make my top 100....go figure!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I can give you some examples of the influence, but most of them have been "in-the-moment" experiences, as in "ah, the BASIC INSTINCT sound again!" when I've seen an erotic thriller on tv, and then I've forgotten all about it after that. I must admit you're the first I've met who refute JG's influence with this score. IMO, it's like saying STAR WARS had no influence in terms of orchestral popularity or that Zimmer's power anthems with BLACK RAIN, CRIMSON TIDE etc. had no influence on the film score world. Or Zimmer's wailing woman in GLADIATOR. Or Powell's Bourne riff in the BOURNE films etc.

I think you are stretching the importance of the score by lumping Basic Instinct with the likes of Star Wars and Gladiator - two scores that have had a huge and noticeable impact not only on the genre they were composed for but in other genres as well.

Thor wrote
    Some BASIC INSTINCT riffs off the top of my head that I can remember include Howard Shore's SLIVER, David Michael Frank's POISON IVY and Sakamoto's FEMME FATALE. But mostly cheaper fare (with less fear of law suits), stuff like Mark Snow's SEDUCED AND BETRAYED (1995) which you happen to run across on late-night tv. That's where the influence is usually felt.

I'm not saying that you wrong I just don't think it's as influential as you proclaim it to be... but then again is there such thing as more and less influential. Again, I'd say the film itself has more impact in it's medium then Goldsmith's score did in film music circles.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Superman The Movie - John Williams

Masterful, heroic, epic! And that's just the dull moments!

And yes, I know there are no dull moments!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

I can't argue with some of the others, but this one -- no way. No BI here. There's a lot of stuff here too..

Well, I'll grant you that it's a long time since I saw it, but there were two things with the score that struck me when I did. One was the Ravel "Bolero" thing and the second was some of that minor-mode melancholy, sensual string/synth work that immediately made me think of BI. At least back then.

Also, BI was mostly influential in the erotic thriller genre -- which in itself is fairly limited, and the 90's version was a beast onto itself -- but sometimes seeped through to other thriller subgenres as well, even to this day.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Thirteen Days - Trevor Jones

It's in my top five favourite Trevor Jones scores, although the album is a touch too long (at 70 minutes). The dark/suspense first half sets the tone for the more dramatic/release of the second half. Although I just noticed how the main theme is a bit of a take on James Horner's Apollo 13 (at least the solo trumpet/piano chords/snare drum in the end credits) or something Bill Conti would write (North & South main theme), any other references to other Trevor Jones scores (Dark City especially) don't bother me.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Adventures of Don Juan Suite (Steiner) from the Charles Gerhardt collection.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

Rip roaring fun!

I'm currently spinning my Indiana Jones playlist which will be featured on an up coming show to celebrate the 30th anniversary (June 12th) of the greatest film ever made, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

Rip roaring fun!

I'm currently spinning my Indiana Jones playlist which will be featured on an up coming show to celebrate the 30th anniversary (June 12th) of the greatest film ever made, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK!

-Erik-

I'll look forward to that Erik.

RAIDERS is the greatest film ever made? ( ...0f course it is! wink ) It is though, definitely in my top 10 most fun films ever made, those films that can be watched over and over again. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Point of No Return - Hans Zimmer

punk

Fantastic score!! Wish I had it on CD.

This might seem a bit nit-picky but I wish the score had a few more minutes of the lighter-romantic material later in the album first heard in "Happy Birthday, Maggie".

Yeah, me too. Great "happy" material.
  8. Random 10 tracks:

"A Boy Called Jonah" - Torchwood - Ben Foster

I really like Foster's music for this series. This track starts off really quite emotionally with the theme but gets a bit lost with the atmospheric bit in the middle. I get a bit of a Herrmann feel with the strings in the middle of the track too.

But the theme's back again by the end and rounds off the track well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn

"Rock House Jail" - The Rock - Hans Zimmer and the gang

Ten minute tracks can be a bit too long but this one flies by. It is a bit disjointed but there's action scoring and the heroic/patriotic passage for Ed Harris' character that I enjoy hearing in the score. And I was surprised to hear a camouflaged version of the Dies Irae just before the 4-minute mark.

This track is a great condensation of the score as a whole.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote

"Rock House Jail" - The Rock - Hans Zimmer and the gang

Ten minute tracks can be a bit too long but this one flies by. It is a bit disjointed but there's action scoring and the heroic/patriotic passage for Ed Harris' character that I enjoy hearing in the score. And I was surprised to hear a camouflaged version of the Dies Irae just before the 4-minute mark.

This track is a great condensation of the score as a whole.

The DIES IRAE sneaks into CRIMSON TIDE and LION KING too, among others. It's a recurring Zimmer gag. Well, it's a gag that LOTS of composers have had over the years, I guess.
    I am extremely serious.