• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Tonight I played Born on the Fourth of July (Williams -- just the original album tracks) and Bulworth (Morricone - just track 1).

Film music generally doesn't make me feel what these guys were able to make me feel when they wrote these scores. Both have such a depth of emotion, but there's nothing sentimental about it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2011
    NP: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Video Game) - James Hannigan

Magnificent!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I think Beltrami's Soul Surfer is now in contention for my favorite score of the year so far. Its got so much passion and personality and the vocal writing is absolutely gorgeous. Thanks to the people who recommended it, I would have never realized it existed otherwise.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    I think Beltrami's Soul Surfer is now in contention for my favorite score of the year so far. Its got so much passion and personality and the vocal writing is absolutely gorgeous. Thanks to the people who recommended it, I would have never realized it existed otherwise.

Absolutely! One of the nicest surprises of the year for my part.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Video Game) - James Hannigan

Magnificent!

-Erik-

I've heard the cue "To catch an owl" online, and it really is magnificent. Right up there with Williams' themes. Is this the highlight, or is the rest of the album just as magnificent?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's big, bold symphonic writing in the tradition of John Williams' excellent scores for the series.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Just played: Unfaithful (Kaczmarek)

Reflective score with a great main theme and a great overall mood. Some tracks are a bit lackluster, but overall it's a great listen.

My rating: ****

Now, after being reminded of Hannigan, headbanging to the cue "Soviet march" from "Command and conquer: Red alert 3". Listen to it here. If you like russian choral music it will blow your socks off.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's big, bold symphonic writing in the tradition of John Williams' excellent scores for the series.

-Erik-

I will have to check this out now.

Seems kinda unfair that Hannigan is writing for computer games when a lesser composer like Hooper gets to compose for the big Hollywood movies.

Peter smile
  2. Harry Potter is british, it has a british cast, british people, the writer of the books is british, the only thing from USA is WB, Colombus, Williams, Michael Goldenberg, Verne Troyer.

And the videogames are different from the films. If the videogames had the music from the films it would be boring. And if the movies had the music from the videogames it would be over-the-top.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2011 edited
    yonythemoony wrote
    And if the movies had the music from the videogames it would be over-the-top.

Which would have been perfect! Just like Colin O'Malley's Superman Returns game score out shines Ottman's weak effort!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LEGENDS OF HOLLYWOOD, VOL. 3 (Franz Waxman)

Ol' Waxie rocks! I've been going through my Waxman collection now, which includes this fantastic 4-volume set. He's my favourite of the era.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2011 edited
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - Cliff Eidelman (complete)

Satisfying, very satisfying. One of the best Trek scores with a top three worthy opening credits cue.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Peacemaker - Complete Score - Hans Zimmer, Gavin Greenaway & Klaus Badelt

Great score. Great follow up/expansion of the Crimson Tide sound, and a great precursor to Gladiator. Love the various themes and motives. The action tracks are long and to die for. I want an official release of the complete score, please.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2011
    KevinSmith wrote

Satisfying, very satisfying. One of the best Trek scores with a top three worthy opening credits cue.

Absolutely! Superb work.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Expanded, not complete by the way. Somebody at one of the boards, perhaps FSM, noted what was missing.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. NP: L.A. At 9:00 A.M. - 24 (Sean Callery)

I hope some day Callery's music for the series can have a re-release with the score played by a full orchestra.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Check out the fairly good (abeit short) score for 24 The Game. That uses an orchestra.

I wouldn't mind some more music from season 5 along with music from seasons 6-8 too.

I heard ages ago Varese were working on something but I suppose it eventually was dropped.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    KevinSmith wrote

I find the melodies and hence the score a bit boring. Sure it sounds impressive, but I quickly lose interest whenever I listen to it since none of the melodies grab me.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAR TREK 2: THE WRATH OF KHAN (James Horner)

The old GNP release. I used to really like this score, but it's a little too busy and fanfaric for my taste these days. It's still an excellent score, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (Edelman)

Wonderful themes. I like Edelman, he has a gift for making great themes.

My rating: ****

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

The old GNP release. I used to really like this score, but it's a little too busy and fanfaric for my taste these days. It's still an excellent score, though.

Since the FSM expanded release I love it even MORE! love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Thor wrote

Busy and fanfaric? Maybe that's why I'm not into a lot of John Williams' early material...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Thor wrote

Busy and fanfaric? Maybe that's why I'm not into a lot of John Williams' early material...

Like JOHN GOLDFARB PLEASE COME HOME and GIDGET GOES TO ROME?? wink
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Anthony wrote
    Check out the fairly good (abeit short) score for 24 The Game. That uses an orchestra.

I wouldn't mind some more music from season 5 along with music from seasons 6-8 too.

I heard ages ago Varese were working on something but I suppose it eventually was dropped.

I tried to get it, but no luck. At least they re-recorded the main theme in the CD for season 4,5 and 6.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Knack - John Barry

Brilliant swinging 60s music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Scribe wrote

Couldn't agree more. Great, great work. Besides, the score tells a story, no matter if you've watched the movie or not. That's what a score should do, always! Isn't 'Paddle Battle' one of the most inspiring cues of the year? I love the way Beltrami blends the orchestra with the vocal writing.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indecent Proposal - John Barry

I never listen to this (other than now, obviously). Very beautiful.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    yonythemoony wrote
    Anthony wrote

I tried to get it, but no luck. At least they re-recorded the main theme in the CD for season 4,5 and 6.

The best of the game music made it onto the seasons 4 and 5 soundtrack.

Or should I say the seasons 2,3, 4, 5 and the game soundtrack.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2011
    Moonraker - John Barry

Love its grand, stately style. A unique entry amongst the Bond scores.
  7. Southall wrote
    Indecent Proposal - John Barry

I never listen to this (other than now, obviously). Very beautiful.

Very nice theme, that one.

NP: The Robe (Alfred Newman)

Not the complete release. I never got that. Just the old one disc. Grand music.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am