• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    Zulu Dawn - Elmer Bernstein

Never mind that it was a bloody battle in real life, it's a jolly romp in the score!

As was ZULU, as was THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN as was A BRIDGE TOO FAR and many other titles to real life events, all with great scores too!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Masada - Jerry Goldsmith

I've just listened to both releases of this score today.
    Well, I have to say the new Intrada release actually IS a winner!
    Yes, the original Varese Sarabande recording was wonderfully full bodied and very nice on all counts.
    But despite the smaller orchestra the Intrada release of the original television recording is for me, a better listen in that there's so many interesting tracks Goldsmith omitted from his re-recorded album.
    Great action tracks filled with exciting orchestration. Nice atmospheric cues and basically just more variety.
    This was written at the peek of Goldsmith's creative output and it shows.
    It's wonderful to hear snippets from Outland, The Final Conflict and (the yet to be composed) Poltergeist pop up from time to time too. Wonderful music here!
    Disc 2 containing music by Morton Stevens does not stray from Goldsmith's compositions and style.
    Perhaps only lacking in the action department. But still a good listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Mulholland Falls by Dave Grusin. One of the prettier themes I own.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Mulholland Falls by Dave Grusin. One of the prettier themes I own.

That's a great score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    The limitations of Hooper's score for Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince are highlighted - for me anyway - when it's placed next to Williams' themes. John Williams' music is the world of Harry Potter no matter how good any of the other scores are.

I agree about Williams's music representing the magic of the world of Harry Potter. But Hooper and Desplat's scores represents perfectly the danger and darkness which has taking over the HP world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The limitations of Hooper's score for Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince are highlighted - for me anyway - when it's placed next to Williams' themes. John Williams' music is the world of Harry Potter no matter how good any of the other scores are.

:yeah" x 1,000,000,000

punk

-Erik-

biggrin
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Honey, I Shrunk The Kids - James Horner

Having recently looked over Joe Johnston's filmography I can't find a one bad score from any of his films so I thought I'd revisit them ALL starting with this controversial gem. Unoriginal to the max (Rota's estate even filed a lawsuit) but highly entertaining. A great album from Intrada!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Rocketeer - James Horner

A masterpiece and one of the finest adventure scores ever written. And boy... WHAT. A. LOVE. THEME! I'm not sure if I want an expanded treatment of this... many do... but this album is pitch perfect! And it's one of Shawn Murphy's finest recordings!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: OBSCURED BY CLOUDS (Pink Floyd)

Yet another score, this time for the 1972 film LA VALLÉE, rerecorded as a studio album. It gets more "rocky" now. More prog, less psychedelia.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote

Yet another score, this time for the 1972 film LA VALLÉE, rerecorded as a studio album. It gets more "rocky" now. More prog, less psychedelia.

You know they were originally going to do "Flash Gordon"? I have no idea how far they might have gotten.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    Thor wrote

You know they were originally going to do "Flash Gordon"? I have no idea how far they might have gotten.

No, I didn't know that. Would have been something to behold, for sure. Their music was always called 'space rock', but that would take it to a more literal level, I guess..... smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    Thor wrote

Really? That's the first I've ever heard of that??

Are you sure you don't mean DUNE?
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Thor wrote
    NP: FIRELIGHT (Christopher Gunning)

WILLOW was far too bombastic...I had to cut it off before the last track and put on this lovely, romantic score instead.

A bit repetitive no?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: FIRELIGHT (Christopher Gunning)

WILLOW was far too bombastic...I had to cut it off before the last track and put on this lovely, romantic score instead.

A bit repetitive no?

A bit, but no biggie.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Let's see...1

"Plowing Through The Galaxy" - Multivaders - Blake Robinson

A great little track: dreamy female vocal, all sounding quite John Murphy. Nice string ostinato to end. Mix of voice and synth(?) instruments.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Borislav Slavov, Tilman Siliescu, Hans Zimmer and Lorne Balfe - Crysis 2

The La-la-land release. I actually like that score. It does sound somewhat RCP, but the orchestral writing is much better and what I like about it is that it builds a very nice atmosphere. A definite highlight is Slavov's SOS New York piece, which is pretty great. In general the New York theme (a simple, restrained, but dramatic motif) is very good.

When it comes to the Zimmer theme (all one of them), it's rather good, I think it's Zimmer's best for years (Inception is a great score, but I wouldn't call it very thematic). Good arrangement too. For Zimmer it is most definitely an improvement over the crap that Modern Warfare 2 was, though in the end that one proved to be a good brain-turning-off experience and the best material from the game (Orvarsson's favela music which still reminds a bit of the... Cutler Beckett material from Pirates 3 and I am talking original Zimmer suites) is not even on the original album!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. 2

"Theme" - Man From Atlantis - Fred Karlin

This 5-minute track is one that I have very little recollection of, even though I loved the show. The actual theme is quite laid back, a flute line that somehow instills the feeling of being in tune with nature. What makes it feel like that escapes me!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Great British TV Themes - Silva Screen

Just flicking through this new compilation. So far the two that have stuck... "Soul Limbo" (BBC cricket theme - and the GREATEST music to have been associated with any sport, yes John Williams that includes you) and the theme from The Benny Hill Show.
  6. 3

"Vois Sur Ton Chemin" - The Chorus - Bruno Coulais

I love the songs in this score. This particular track is from a live concert recording. Some subtle variations from the OST but near enough to still be good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    "Soul Limbo" (BBC cricket theme - and the GREATEST music to have been associated with any sport, yes John Williams that includes you)

...ah, but now Ski Sunday has come on... oh, which is better? How to choose?
  7. 4

"Epoch" - Too Human - Steve Henifin

A game score. Full of massed choral passages, percussion rhythms, portentous brass...nothing new then. But it is done with such style, I love this sort of thing.

Game scoring seems sometimes to allow the composer to just run with an idea without the constraints of following onscreen action.
  8. Southall wrote
    Southall wrote
    "Soul Limbo" (BBC cricket theme - and the GREATEST music to have been associated with any sport, yes John Williams that includes you)

...ah, but now Ski Sunday has come on... oh, which is better? How to choose?

Ski Sunday by a very long mile.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Pah! There's not a gnat's pube between them.
  9. 5

"Bill's Lament" - True Blood - Nathan Barr

I think what Barr added to this show was excellent and there is some great music on the two CDs released so far. I just love how the low strings are placed front-and-centre. And this melancholic tracks highlights this well.
  10. 6

"Prelude" - The Ten Commandments - Elmer Bernstein

Listening to this, I assume that this features some of the main themes of the score? I am surprised how unfamiliar I am with this. Only snippets I recognise.
  11. 7

"The Next Adventure" - Mr and Mrs Smith - John Powell

This track encapsulates a lot of what I enjoy in a Powell score. The quick staccato strings with the insistent beat underpinning it. And a strong brass support. Light, bright and fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

I'm biased but I consider THIS to be the greatest sports theme of all time!

-Erik-
  12. FalkirkBairn wrote

"The Next Adventure" - Mr and Mrs Smith - John Powell

This track encapsulates a lot of what I enjoy in a Powell score. The quick staccato strings with the insistent beat underpinning it. And a strong brass support. Light, bright and fun.

I agree, that cue is pure Powell. Also, it has some excelent renditions of the main theme.
  13. 8

"Loft" - Loft - Wolfram de Marco

One of my favourite themes this one. I suppose it is not really a theme, more a distinctive device. The insistent string ostinato with the timpani "heartbeat". Good enough to remain interesting when heard in the other, 12-minute track to feature this device.
  14. 9

"Suite (Part 2)" - Scenes of The Crime - Christopher Young

Reminds me a bit of the urban sleaze and disease that Howard Shore gave to his score for Crash with the electric guitars. That, together with a feel that reminds me of a Michael Small thriller score, this track is an excellent listen.