• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    X-Men: First Class - Henry J

It starts so well.

That opening track is impressive! The rest is poo!

NP: Hidalgo - James Newton Howard

Excellent film and a great score that had me tearing up at the end. One of the finest scores written in 2004. Hideous cover art though. shocked

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    I'd be interested to hear your views Tim. I have only seen this at the cinema when it came out and thought it was excellent then.

The score features the Dies Irae and that makes it of interest to me.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011
    Southall wrote

It starts so well.

It's a much better overall album than Green Lantern.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'd be interested to hear your views Tim. I have only seen this at the cinema when it came out and thought it was excellent then.

The score features the Dies Irae and that makes it of interest to me.

Will do Alan but cripes knows when I'll get around to watching it spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Attack of the Block - Basement Jaxx

Surprisingly enjoyable, however understated at times.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: Cars 2 - Michael Giacchino

Wading through the not so great songs awaiting to hear the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote

It starts so well.

Just 39 minutes ago I thought that. Now... I wonder whether I can sit through another 17 minutes of this interminable drivel.
  1. Did you have to buy this? I did!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Are you now regretting it?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Wolfman - Danny Elfman

Bram Stoker's Dracula influences, homages, rip-offs... whatever you want to call them aside... this is a damn fine Gothic score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Timmer wrote
    Are you now regretting it?

A bit. About £8 worth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Alan - Here is a site you should hit up before you buy any CD - http://scorenotes.com. They present lengthy suites from recent score releases all the time. I wish I could update my site as fast as scorenotes does but then again they don't have to record 6-7 pages of script in order to get a suite up on their site.

-Erik-
  3. Cheers Erik. I do know this site but I don't check it regularly enough. There are suites I do have from there that substitute for score purchases - Lucky Luke for example.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Masada - Jerry Goldsmith

Good score with bits and pieces from various older Goldsmith scores into one. Is the huge Intrada release worth it?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  4. Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    October Sky was a lovely restrained chamber like score highlighted by the last three tracks especially the final cue "October Sky" which contains the most satisfying rendition of Isham's main theme.

NP: Jurassic Park III - Don Davis

Davis did a great job mimicking the already established Williams sound while at the same time bringing in his own arsenal to the table. The new family theme is a bit on the saccharine side but it's great to hear Davis' own arrangement of Williams classic original themes including the use of the Raptors motif from the first film. All that is missing is "The Lost World" theme... because that where this film takes place. So, while it was great to hear the themes from the first film incorporated into this score I guess they are inappropriate for this film.

Anywho, excellent score!

-Erik-

A little too head-on, action-heavy, but I agree with you. HERE is a score that clearly pays hommage to Williams' style, as opposed to the Desplat POTTER that everybody went on about at FSM.

Just goes to show everyone hears something different. Except for the parts where sections of concert arrangements from Williams are clearly being quoted (sometimes a bit awkwardly), the rest is pure Davis (aka early 90s Horner). (And in this score that's the stuff I like, for the most part.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Wolfman - Danny Elfman

Bram Stoker's Dracula influences, homages, rip-offs... whatever you want to call them aside... this is a damn fine Gothic score!

-Erik-

You don't get sick of that cello thingy?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It repetitive... but I'm enjoying it! It doesn't bother me as much as let's say... the main theme to The Dark Crystal. crazy

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Jurassic Park III - Don Davis

Davis did a great job mimicking the already established Williams sound while at the same time bringing in his own arsenal to the table. The new family theme is a bit on the saccharine side but it's great to hear Davis' own arrangement of Williams classic original themes including the use of the Raptors motif from the first film. All that is missing is "The Lost World" theme... because that where this film takes place. So, while it was great to hear the themes from the first film incorporated into this score I guess they are inappropriate for this film.

Anywho, excellent score!

-Erik-

A little too head-on, action-heavy, but I agree with you. HERE is a score that clearly pays hommage to Williams' style, as opposed to the Desplat POTTER that everybody went on about at FSM.

Just goes to show everyone hears something different. Except for the parts where sections of concert arrangements from Williams are clearly being quoted (sometimes a bit awkwardly), the rest is pure Davis (aka early 90s Horner). (And in this score that's the stuff I like, for the most part.)

Odd. I find it to be a horrible score, for an equally bad film. How Davis rapes the Journey to the Island theme simply because he needed to stretch the cue to match the film is a sin (The Dinosaur Fly-By), and his wrong placement of themes within the film doesn't help matters either (Cooper's Last Stand, most notably). On top of that, the saccharine cues that are toe-curling (as are their scenes in the film) and there's enough embarrassing material that it can't be compensated by the few cues that actually work pretty well. It all even ends with a Randy Newman song that clearly has no business of being here. Sorry. This score just gets on my nerves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: X-Men: First Class - Henry Jackman

Still don't understand some of the hate for this score. It's a long album for sure, but the music surely isn't terrible, and can be very thematic and melodic at time. Lots of variety here, so cutting down some of the fat won't be so daunting.
  6. I'm not sure it is "hate" that people feel. Just "not much good" - which "isn't too bad."
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BobdH wrote

Odd. I find it to be a horrible score, for an equally bad film. How Davis rapes the Journey to the Island theme simply because he needed to stretch the cue to match the film is a sin (The Dinosaur Fly-By), and his wrong placement of themes within the film doesn't help matters either (Cooper's Last Stand, most notably). On top of that, the saccharine cues that are toe-curling (as are their scenes in the film) and there's enough embarrassing material that it can't be compensated by the few cues that actually work pretty well. It all even ends with a Randy Newman song that clearly has no business of being here. Sorry. This score just gets on my nerves.

I haven't listened to it for some time, but I remember greatly enjoying it (apart from the use of Williams's themes - the style is just too different, it sounds like one score stopping and another starting, much like Tyler's Rambo or something - though this is far better music than that). As for the song - I guess you mean it has no place being on the album, which I guess is true given that it is completely different from the score, but it is cleverly used in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Green Lantern - James Newton Howard

Truly atrocious for the most part but there's one little theme in it which is the most Goldsmithian theme anybody's written since Goldsmith died and that (just about) prevents it from being the worst comic book movie score album so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm not sure it is "hate" that people feel. Just "not much good" - which "isn't too bad."

Oh well, FWIW, it's on par with other comic book movie scores, and I guess that "isn't too bad" either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    Green Lantern - James Newton Howard

Truly atrocious for the most part but there's one little theme in it which is the most Goldsmithian theme anybody's written since Goldsmith died and that (just about) prevents it from being the worst comic book movie score album so far.

It's the electronics isn't it? I can see how you wouldn't like the score based on that alone. That theme/fanfare/motif thing could have been longer though. I find myself liking all the parts that has the orchestra behind it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    Masada - Jerry Goldsmith

Good score with bits and pieces from various older Goldsmith scores into one. Is the huge Intrada release worth it?

Sure is! The Intrada release is very, very good!
    Great new music to be found that's missing from the old release.
  7. Tonight's 10 starts off with a "belter".

"Main Title" - The Final Conflict - Jerry Goldsmith

What can I say that hasn't been said before? Not much. A grand, gothic theme, it starts off right at you with that powerful fanfare on the horns. Lumbering onwards there's powerful chorus throughout.

Probably my favourite score of the trilogy (ignoring the 4th film) and one of my favourite Goldsmith themes/tracks.
  8. 2

"The Army Arrives" - Evolution - John Powell

It's the rhythm and the acoustic guitars that I like about this track. A short track but a great pick-me-up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011 edited

"Princesses" - Princesses - Philippe Sarde

A distinct soft jazz feel to this track with the vibraphone, double bass, piano and brushes on snare drums. I came across this whilst browsing for something else. It's a great theme and I cam imagine listening to this in a smoke-filled bar...wherever smoking is still permitted indoors.
  9. 4

"Destable" - Star Trek: Enterprise - Regeneration - Brian Tyler

Textbook Tyler for this short action track: rhythmic undercurrent & frantic strings/brass. Great!
  10. 5

"Overture" - The Gadfly - Dimitri Shostakovich

One of Anne's favourite "classical" pieces. Probably a favourite on Classic FM radio but I wasn't familiar with it. But it's a very powerful theme. The version I am familiar with is the EMI Music For Pleasure version with Emin Khachaturian/USSR Cinema Symphony Orchestra.