• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011
    Cristian wrote
    lp wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: LEGENDS OF THE FALL (James Horner)

So good timing on that, christopher. One of my favourite Horners, hinting SLIGHTLY to the religious sound in a couple of tracks. Very romantic and outdoorsy.

The Ludlows is pretty much my all time favorite Horner track.

It's a good cue but I prefer the epic Alfred, Tristan, The Colonel, The Legend...

Legend of the Fall is without a doubt my favorite score by James Horner.

Yeah, it's pretty much my favorite Horner score as well. I enjoy his lyrical side much more than his action material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BRAVEHEART (James Horner)

Love the calm & romantic & moody stuff, not to keen on the action/suspense material. It's a cornerstone Horner.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011 edited
    NP: Prince of Egypt - Stephen Schwartz & Hans Zimmer and Crew

Hmm, excellent. Excellent musical soundtrack for an almost undeserving movie. From the epic opening to the grand finale cue, it's just great effort all around. I hope that one day the full musical score will be made available.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Love the calm & romantic & moody stuff, not to keen on the action/suspense material. It's a cornerstone Horner.

I love all of it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ His best score!

NP: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Oscar Araujo

Yeah baby! Video game scores... where the truly creative symphonic scores are being produced!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote

Hmm, excellent. Excellent musical soundtrack for an almost undeserving movie. From the epic opening to the grand finale cue, it's just great effort all around. I hope that one day the full musical score will be made available.

Top 3 Zimmer for me! Brilliant score, memorable songs. This score features some of the greatest melodies and action material Zimmer has ever written.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

Top 3 Zimmer for me! Brilliant score, memorable songs. This score features some of the greatest melodies and action material Zimmer has ever written.

-Erik-

YES. YES. YES.

Yes to EVERYTHING. I love it all. It's one of his most cohesive, well thought collaboration. It's a superb piece of work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote

While I guess they're broadly similar, strangely I much prefer Legends of the Fall to this, which I find outstays its welcome. Can't even remember the last time I listened to it.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

-Erik-

YES. YES. YES.

Yes to EVERYTHING. I love it all. It's one of his most cohesive, well thought collaboration. It's a superb piece of work.

Too bad the two best cues weren't on the official score album (The Chariot Race and The Ten Commandments)
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Film Music of John Addison

The Chandos release. My first listen. Love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

-Erik-

YES. YES. YES.

Too bad the two best cues weren't on the official score album (The Chariot Race and The Ten Commandments)

But at least it was officially released, along with the another cue.
  1. Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

While I guess they're broadly similar, strangely I much prefer Legends of the Fall to this, which I find outstays its welcome. Can't even remember the last time I listened to it.

Yikes. And the celtic chic phase the whole went through around then. :/
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Film Music of John Addison

The Chandos release. My first listen. Love it!

I want this too.

Do you reckon these Chandos releases would get far more recognition and debate if they did MV/RC composers? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    Legends of the Fall - James Horner

Following Thor's lead...
  2. The Legend of Zorro - Horner

I forgot how much fun this was, especially "The Train." I'm still divided on which is better, this or The Mask of Zorro.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Played last night: THE TREE OF LIFE - Alexandre Desplat
    What Zimmer did for light with The Thin Red Line, Desplat now does with water with this brilliantly flowing, heartfelt music. Desplat's album presentations often contain many short cues, but it's in the lengthier cues of The Tree of Life where his music can really breath and stretch its wings. Also, what many describe as a somewhat cold detachment in his music in nowhere to be seen here, with many cues that as such don't feel Desplatian yet are perfect for a Malick film. Really love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011 edited
    NP: TITANIC (James Horner)

I love the score (and film), screw what everyone else think!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Nahhh! That's fine Thor, I'm with ya!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    X-Men: First Class - Henry J

It starts so well.

Sad 'cause he showed great premise so far. Jackman's X-MEN first class is a huge miss. If it all followed in the vein of the opening cue, we would have one very strong score for this year but it all goes to unilistenable hell from the end of that cue till the end of the album.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Played last night: THE TREE OF LIFE - Alexandre Desplat
    What Zimmer did for light with The Thin Red Line, Desplat now does with water with this brilliantly flowing, heartfelt music. Desplat's album presentations often contain many short cues, but it's in the lengthier cues of The Tree of Life where his music can really breath and stretch its wings. Also, what many describe as a somewhat cold detachment in his music in nowhere to be seen here, with many cues that as such don't feel Desplatian yet are perfect for a Malick film. Really love it!

I thought Clint mansell's UNITED could be used as an alternative TREE OF LIFE score as well, interesting juxtaposition smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thor wrote

Love both of them, specially the film, perfect in (almost) every department.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Attack of the Block - Steve Price & Basement Jaxx

Really enjoyable. Much more so than Daft Punk's Tron Legacy score for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    I thought Clint mansell's UNITED could be used as an alternative TREE OF LIFE score as well, interesting juxtaposition smile

I checked out the soundclips on Amazon the moment I saw your facebook comment on that. Sounded pretty nice, indeed. But not 'Malickian' per se from what I heard. Interested in hearing it in full.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Thor wrote

Love both of them, specially the film, perfect in (almost) every department.

Perfect on a technical level, yes. I'd expect nothing less from Cameron. On the whole, though, I only seem to enjoy the film completely when I'm either drunk or high. Which, on the face of it, I guess might seem rather disrespectful considering the magnitude of real-life tragedy the film attempts to portray.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    LSH wrote
    Which, on the face of it, I guess might seem rather disrespectful considering the magnitude of real-life tragedy the film attempts to portray.

No, that seems perfectly reasonable... I wouldn't want to find myself particularly enjoying such a real-life tragedy while in full control of my faculties...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    I just don't understand the hype about the score of Titanic, James Horner wrote so many scores greater than this one! I mean synth choir, c'mon don't say that it suit the great technology of Titanic, what technology in 1912, a ship that sank?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cristian wrote
    I just don't understand the hype about the score of Titanic, James Horner wrote so many scores greater than this one! I mean synth choir, c'mon don't say that it suit the great technology of Titanic, what technology in 1912, a ship that sank?

The hype is for the Celine Dion connection and the love theme, I would assume, not the score as a whole.

I agree that the action material isn't very interesting, but the Enya riffs are cool, as are the moody parts. And by God, the love theme is really beautiful, even after all these years and all the exposure.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I've heard that Shawn Murphy was really shocked during the sessions when he realized that they won't be recording a real choir.

Interestingly, though it of course may be totally unrelated, that was the last time he worked with Horner before the composer settled for Abbey Road's own Simon Rhodes.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2011
    Lady in the Water - James Newton Howard

One of his best scores of the 2000s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2011 edited