• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. 6

"Festa Van Gold" - Il Corsaro Nero - Guido de Angelis & Maurizio de Angelis

Dual mandolins (by the sound of it) play what could be a piece of source music as it's structured as a piece of formal music (may be some sort of montage?) Nice and light.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. 7

"Not Your Time" - Purity - George Shaw

A lovely orchestral piece for strings, piano and clarinet (I assume clarinet as George plays clarinet). When this composer is called to provide music with an emotional clout he usually delivers in spades.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Alan, are you trying to get your post count up? wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. 8

"Florida Fantasy" - Midnight Cowboy - John Barry

I could easily have listed this piece as the theme from the BBC Holiday programme. Sometimes the use of music for film (or even classical pieces) in other places lumbers them with different associations to those initially intended. I could never see this scene in this movie and not see people on holiday.
  5. franz_conrad wrote
    Alan, are you trying to get your post count up? wink

It's not my main reason for posting like this! I just think that if I add them all together into one post they may just get lost.
  6. 9

"Erlacher Hof (1. Teil)" - Der Grosse Kater - Patrick Kirst

Quite a formal track in that it seems to have a form that would be more appropriate in a concert hall. I like the staccato strings' rhythm throughout the track more than anything else.

(These tracks tonight seem to be a bit obscure!)
  7. 10

"Fanfare For A Resurrected Priest" - Priest - Christopher Young

This an excellent score and I like this track especially the way it starts with the vocals and then moves into orchestra with a subtle electronic rhythm. Then in the latter half it all comes together.
  8. Maybe the next selection will be a bit more well-known?
  9. See. Now I get "Lux Aeterna" from Chris Young's Bless The Child. Most people will have heard of this. Did anyone catch this the first morning of the first SONCINEMAD when the composer played this for us?

A quality moment!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tonight's 10 starts off with a "belter".

"Main Title" - The Final Conflict - Jerry Goldsmith

What can I say that hasn't been said before? Not much. A grand, gothic theme, it starts off right at you with that powerful fanfare on the horns. Lumbering onwards there's powerful chorus throughout.

Probably my favourite score of the trilogy (ignoring the 4th film) and one of my favourite Goldsmith themes/tracks.

An album that took years for it to be released.

I saw the film on it's release and that THEME knocked me for six! When, Oh WHEN is some composer going to do that to me again????
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011 edited
    Seriously, Alan, start up a blog. I'm not trying to stop you from posting here but I think the majority of your random 10 tracks are going to get lost in the shuffle and having a blog at least gives your words and thoughts a place to call home.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. Erik Woods wrote
    Seriously, Alan, atart up a blog. I'm not trying to stop you from posting here but I think the majority of your random 10 tracks are going to get lost in the shuffle and having a blog at least gives your words and thoughts a place to call home.

-Erik-

I'll take your advice on board and try and get the site I've been working on "live" asap so that I have somewhere to put these random tracks.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote

"Florida Fantasy" - Midnight Cowboy - John Barry

I could easily have listed this piece as the theme from the BBC Holiday programme. Sometimes the use of music for film (or even classical pieces) in other places lumbers them with different associations to those initially intended. I could never see this scene in this movie and not see people on holiday.

Such a quality track, goddamn but John Barry could do incidental music that would have most of todays sorry arse bunch dinning out for years!

I don't ever remember it being used for a Holiday program Alan, but it was used as a 'Golf' theme and also for childrens program 'Wildtrack'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. Timmer wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: OBSCURED BY CLOUDS (Pink Floyd)

Yet another score, this time for the 1972 film LA VALLÉE, rerecorded as a studio album. It gets more "rocky" now. More prog, less psychedelia.

You know they were originally going to do "Flash Gordon"? I have no idea how far they might have gotten.

Really? That's the first I've ever heard of that??

Are you sure you don't mean DUNE?

No, not confusing it.

Though I heard, what I guess is a really false rumor, of another composr on "Dune". No need to bring up his name, as it is likely false.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Can you link the Pink Floyd/Dune source?

I remember SCQ had Quincy Jones down as the composer of Lynch's DUNE back in the day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Seriously, Alan, atart up a blog. I'm not trying to stop you from posting here but I think the majority of your random 10 tracks are going to get lost in the shuffle and having a blog at least gives your words and thoughts a place to call home.

-Erik-

I'll take your advice on board and try and get the site I've been working on "live" asap so that I have somewhere to put these random tracks.

I thought this was the whole point of the Now Playing thread. I was enjoying reading these. If it goes to a blog I'll probably never see it again sad
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I kinda agree with Matt, I'm enjoying your lists Alan but wonder how many pages I'll have to plow through when I get back from a week away at Glastonbury? Personally I'd hate it to disappear into a blog, there must be another answer??
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011 edited
    Again, he doesn't have to stop posting his random 10 here but it would be great for the non-MT crowd to read Alan's thoughts as well. Yes/No? Plus, if anything were to happen to this board (a la scorereviews) Alan's thoughts are safe and sound on his blog. There he can also share his Movie/TV/Game Scores Through The Ages posts with world and share his thoughts on other matters as well. Is that so bad?

For instance HERE is something similar that Jim Lochner is doing at his site and he is asking his readership to participate as well.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  12. I've been listening to a lot of scores that I have considered my favorites for the past several years. I've been surprised to see which scores I didn't enjoy as much as I expected to, and which ones I still like as much as ever, or more.

Scores that weren't quite as good as I thought I remembered them being (though still really good!!):
    All of the Lord of the Rings scores - Shore
    The Last Sin Eater - McKenzie
    Schindler's List - Williams
    Wilde - Wiseman
    Gladiator - Zimmer
    Blizzard - McKenzie
    The Legend of Zorro - Horner
    Atonement - Marianelli
    Hook - Williams

Scores that were as good as I remembered:
    Legends of the Fall - Horner
    Cutthroat Island - Debney
    Meet Joe Black - Newman
    Rich in Love - Delerue
    Rudy - Goldsmith

Scores so good they surprised me all over again:
    Braveheart - Horner
    Durango - McKenzie
    Un Homme et Son Chien - Rombi
    Ladies in Lavender - Hess

So....there you go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LEGENDS OF THE FALL (James Horner)

So good timing on that, christopher. One of my favourite Horners, hinting SLIGHTLY to the religious sound in a couple of tracks. Very romantic and outdoorsy.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: Green Lantern (JNH)

Another Big dissapointment from this composer, who seems trying to hard to be a Zimmer guys without losing his identity.

Electronics, chorus, orchestra, electric guitars...it sounds great, uh? isn't.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Thor wrote

So good timing on that, christopher. One of my favourite Horners, hinting SLIGHTLY to the religious sound in a couple of tracks. Very romantic and outdoorsy.

The first 2 minutes of "Samuel's Death" are pure Horner bliss.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Nautilus wrote

Another Big dissapointment from this composer, who seems trying to hard to be a Zimmer guys without losing his identity.

I don't think he's trying to be "a Zimmer guys", I think he's trying to get his job done and do what producers/director asks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote

Electronics, chorus, orchestra, electric guitars...it sounds great, uh? isn't.

While I disagree with your statement of JNH trying to be like an RC composer, (this sounds like a JNH score with massive banks of electronics) I have to point out that he's using a few RC luminaries in his production, like Mel Wesson and Ryeland Allison, who are really good at their electronica work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Until September/John Barry
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote

An excellent score full of great themes and melody.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote

An excellent score full of great themes and melody.

It sure is Tim
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote

The Ludlows is pretty much my all time favorite Horner track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    lp wrote
    Thor wrote

The Ludlows is pretty much my all time favorite Horner track.

It's a good cue but I prefer the epic Alfred, Tristan, The Colonel, The Legend...

Legend of the Fall is without a doubt my favorite score by James Horner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Going through FSM's Elmer Bernstein Film Music Collection today. I started with Rozsa's Young Bess and I'm currently listening to Newman's delightful Wuthering Heights. This collection is hands down one of the top film music releases of all time!

-Erik-