• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2011
    BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I thought Clint mansell's UNITED could be used as an alternative TREE OF LIFE score as well, interesting juxtaposition smile

I checked out the soundclips on Amazon the moment I saw your facebook comment on that. Sounded pretty nice, indeed. But not 'Malickian' per se from what I heard. Interested in hearing it in full.

It's got a continuous flow as well.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Cristian wrote
    I just don't understand the hype about the score of Titanic, James Horner wrote so many scores greater than this one! I mean synth choir, c'mon don't say that it suit the great technology of Titanic, what technology in 1912, a ship that sank?

The hype is for the Celine Dion connection and the love theme, I would assume, not the score as a whole.

I agree that the action material isn't very interesting, but the Enya riffs are cool, as are the moody parts. And by God, the love theme is really beautiful, even after all these years and all the exposure.

It's pretty horrible a score imo, with the perfect main theme.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I love Titanic. I loved it when I first heard it... played it on repeat for weeks. I saw the film three times in the theatre... one of the best epic movies I've seen - more for it's spectacular special effects. I think the original album is superb... synth choir and all. I never did get used to all the re-recordings that utilized a real choir. The two main themes are fantastic. I haven't listened to the album for a while now but I think I will revisit it today. I'm sure I will enjoy it just as much as I did when I first heard it. A well deserved Academy Award win for Mr. Horner and it's one of his best scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: CAAAAARS 2 (Giacchino)
    Now we are talking!

addictive main theme ( maybe it's overused, but..who cares!). Speed Racer meets Goldsmith's Flint.

I love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Bored to tears!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Bored to tears!

-Erik-

What that means?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It was ok. The surf theme is good but I didn't think the rest was anything particularly special.

Bring on Super 8.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    It was ok. The surf theme is good but I didn't think the rest was anything particularly special.

Bring on Super 8.

i WANT IT!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Bored to tears!

-Erik-

What that means?

A wild guess here, but I think Erik meant that listening to CARS 2 he was "bored to tears".
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Bored to tears!

-Erik-

What that means?

A wild guess here, but I think Erik meant that listening to CARS 2 he was "bored to tears".

I think it's an easiest listening than KFP2, but without his highlights (obviously).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2011 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Bored to tears!

-Erik-

What that means?

I was so bored by the score that it made me cry uncontrollably! It's not particularly bad it just didn't interest me and the recording is awful! And 45 minutes of surf/Bond parody music isn't very interesting. When it's done well (Johnny English) I enjoy it but this sounds thin and... well, I was rather annoyed by it. I don't say that too many time concern Giacchino's music but this one is a rare miss for me. If I want to hear Giacchino in spy mode then I'll listen to Alias or The Incredibles.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    I think it's an easiest listening than KFP2, but without his highlights (obviously).

Kung Fu Panda 2 (stop with the acronyms) beats the tar out of Cars 2.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ACRONYMS? Down with dose sort of tings!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Bored to tears!

-Erik-

What that means?

and the recording is awful! .

-Erik-

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That's what I said when I listened to the album!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    That's what I said when I listened to the album!

-Erik-

crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    What is your issue, Jordi?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    ACRONYMS? Down with dose sort of tings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-F2HKLzB6c
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    What is your issue, Jordi?

-Erik-

Perhaps the pirated copy he heard had crappy sound quality and he was hoping for better when he heard a legit version?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
  2. Timmer wrote
    Can you link the Pink Floyd/Dune source?

I remember SCQ had Quincy Jones down as the composer of Lynch's DUNE back in the day.

Sorry, with over 1,000 titles researched, still being researched, and about 25 or more new ones coming in soon, I just don't recall, and I don't keep sources. It was probably a book, or an old issue of Billboard though.

What is SCQ?

(sorry for the late reply)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. "Soundtrack Collector Quarterly" at a guess?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Where I lived in my life, at various times, was different -- only time I saw a score related magazine, was a handful of times in Books-A-Million, for FSM. That's how I discovered them.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Green Lantern - James Newton Howard

Not sure why but I'm enjoying this!

-Erik-
  5. justin boggan wrote
    Where I lived in my life, at various times, was different -- only time I saw a score related magazine, was a handful of times in Books-A-Million, for FSM. That's how I discovered them.

I am sure that my guess for SCQ is not correct. Can you imagine a magazine for soundtracks that comes out quarterly? Maybe many years ago there would have been a handful of scores released every 3 months. Not anymore!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Where I lived in my life, at various times, was different -- only time I saw a score related magazine, was a handful of times in Books-A-Million, for FSM. That's how I discovered them.

I am sure that my guess for SCQ is not correct. Can you imagine a magazine for soundtracks that comes out quarterly? Maybe many years ago there would have been a handful of scores released every 3 months. Not anymore!

Yeap! Soundtrack Collectors Quarterly, later it was known as just 'Soundtrack'

I used to buy it ( duhhhhh ) quarterly because it coincided with my once every 3 monthly visit to the soundtrack shops in London, I used to buy the magazine in either That's Entertainment in Covent Garden ( long gone ) or 58 Dean St ( also long gone ).

http://www.moviemags.com/main.php?title … p;etos=200 <-a real memory lane for me here.
  6. Marselus wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: TITANIC (James Horner)

I love the score (and film), screw what everyone else think!

Love both of them, specially the film, perfect in (almost) every department.

Same here. Horner deserved the Oscar for this, and I actually like Celine Dion's song.
  7. Would the name actually be Soundtrack!: The Collector's Quarterly?

'cause if it is, the guy who did it has been slowly, but steadily putting up info from old issues; interviews, scoring sessions. Not upcoming assingments lists, but still.
    http://www.runmovies.eu
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    Would the name actually be Soundtrack!: The Collector's Quarterly?

'cause if it is, the guy who did it has been slowly, but steadily putting up info from old issues; interviews, scoring sessions. Not upcoming assingments lists, but still.
    http://www.runmovies.eu

That's right Justin. I've put a different link in my own post too.
  8. Nothing!

I miss my headphones already. I may have to do a review from memory. That may be the criteria for doing a capsule review. Just the main points.