• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Psycho - Bernard Herrmann

Listening to the original tracks at the moment and I am hoping that these could be released at some point in the future. They could do with a bit of a clean up and some loving remastering care given to them. But even as they are the raw power of Herrmann's tracks shines through.

The tempo of the main titles is ferocious!

I find it incredible that the original score has never found the light of day? One of THE most famous and familiar scores ever.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    King Solomon's Mines - Jerry Goldsmith

I'm a bit mixed on this one. The main theme and the love theme are great, however, the general underscore reminds me of half dozen other Goldsmith scores from around the same era. The Hungarian orchestra's performance doesn't exactly help things either.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  1. The Mask of Zorro - James Horner

How can Horner write a 13-MINUTE action track and still retain my interest?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Mask of Zorro - James Horner

How can Horner write a 13-MINUTE action track and still retain my interest?

I listened to that album recently, and that action track -- in particular -- drove me up the wall. In the last 4-5 minutes, I just had to set the volume really low and just let it play out as "white noise" (since I never skip tracks when I listen to full albums).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    ... I just had to set the volume really low and just let it play out as "white noise" (since I never skip tracks when I listen to full albums).

I just don't know what to say.

It explains everything though. I hope it's an elegant charade, for your sake! wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he....nope, no charade. That's why I love concept albums so much. You have listen to the whole thing, as it's really one piece with its own internal logic.

Of course, if I'm listening to compilations, it's another story. Or if I'm forced to cut off the listening experience for other business.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. On the other business front, for some reason I'm imagining the Japanese tsunami, September 11 and the announcement of Trent Reznor's Oscar would probably be the only three instances in the last decade... wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, those. And if I have to urinate. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Film Music of Francis Chagrin. I watched An Inspector Calls, a film he did the music for, and decided to dig out the Chandos release.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Cars 2 - Giacchino

It's OK, but there's not really much here to spread out over the 45 minutes. Nowhere near as enjoyable as Newman's score for the first.
  4. NP: Fast Five (Brian Tyler)

If I have to choose between Fast Five and Battle LA, then my vote goes to Battle LA. Fast Five may have much more diversity overall, but it bores me beyond par.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    Cars 2 - Giacchino

It's OK, but there's not really much here to spread out over the 45 minutes. Nowhere near as enjoyable as Newman's score for the first.

^ Agreed!

NP: Master of the World - Les Baxter

I know that Tom made am LP rip of this for me years ago and I spun it a few times but this is the first time I'm listening to Intrada's release featuring stereo tracks from the actual original soundtracks recording (20 minutes) along with the re-recorded LP program. Tons of energy, wonderful colors, fun melodies and exotic orchestrations! Also on this 2CD is music from Goliath And The Barbarians which I will spin next!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Fast Five (Brian Tyler)

If I have to choose between Fast Five and Battle LA, then my vote goes to Battle LA. Fast Five may have much more diversity overall, but it bores me beyond par.

If I had the choice between the two of them I would suicide

tongue

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2011 edited
    NP: PERFUME (THE STORY OF A MURDERER) (Klimek & Heil & Tykwer)

This is a great score, especially the dark, sensous, romantic parts. A wonderful example of my "delicious darkness". The more traditional suspense music I could give or take.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2011
    Eternal Echoes - John Barry

Very spiritual in parts. For some reason I like it more these days than I used to.
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2011 edited
    Southall wrote

Very spiritual in parts. For some reason I like it more these days than I used to.

Is this the first time since Barry's death that you've listened to it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Cosmic Voyage (David Michael Frank)

Very good score full of wonder and beauty.

My rating: ****

Invincible (Hans Zimmer & Klaus Badelt)

Kinda bores me so far. Haven't found any melody so far that sticks out. Perhaps I'll get it after more listens.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    KevinSmith wrote
    Southall wrote

Is this the first time since Barry's death that you've listened to it?

Nope. Have done several times.
  5. "The Big Race" - Racing Stripes - Mark Isham

Great, great track. I love this.
    christopher wrote
    "The Big Race" - Racing Stripes - Mark Isham

Great, great track. I love this.

The whole score is pretty good too wink
    Dune - Toto

The score definitely works but the expanded is too long. The 'perfect' album would be around 40-45 minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Fast Five (Brian Tyler)

If I had the choice between the two of them I would suicide

tongue

-Erik-

It has a cool main theme, and with better recording than the "busy" BLA sound.

NP: The Mummy 3 (Edelman)
    I never have heard the whole cd. But today, I don't know why, I'm joying it.

The main theme is annoying, and the action stuff is full of cheap synthetiser (Edelman's trademark) but the Emperor's theme and the love theme are quite beautiful. At least it's a better adventure score than the scores are relaeasing this last 4 years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Thank God Debney wrote additional music for that film. Edelman's was way out of his league with that one!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Thank God Debney wrote additional music for that film. Edelman's was way out of his league with that one!

-Erik-

Yeap. Agree. And I guess he wrotte the whole climax of that movie for a reason.

It's Lair 2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: The Mummy 3 (Edelman)

The main theme is annoying

I found the main theme annoying the first time I heard it too. Now I love it. It's extremely catchy and fun.

Overall this is how I like my adventure scores; fun, cool and catchy.

Never heard the Debney material. But if it's anything like Lair, I want to.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's more like The Scorpion King 2 than Lair 2. But then again, The Scorpion King was pretty kick ass as well!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMnMkRgsPe8

-Erik-
  6. I quite like Edelman's score. There's one theme in particular that's lovely.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Aquarion Symphony - Yoko Kanno

It's the symphonic edit of various orchestral pieces that was written for the show into six movements of awesome music. In this compiled state, you can hear how highly melodic and thematic the music is, with great sense of orchestration and arrangement. My favorite iteration of this anime score. I wish someone would do the same to her Turn A Gundam score or her Brain Powerd score.
  7. Thor wrote
    Yes, those. And if I have to urinate. smile

Guy: "That's a hell of a piss."
    Second guy: "Blow your head off, man."
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Musketeer - David Arnold

It's funny how David had to use the Superman theme as the one for D'Artagnan, because this version is less of a icon and more of an adolescent runt. Regardless, the music is well built and can withstand repeated listen, despite some of the obvious temp track riffs in the action cues. I do miss this melodramatic/epic orchestra side of David Arnold, since Dawn Treader was such a disappointment.