• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2011
    lp wrote
    NP: The Musketeer - David Arnold

It's funny how David had to use the Superman theme as the one for D'Artagnan, because this version is less of a icon and more of an adolescent runt. Regardless, the music is well built and can withstand repeated listen, despite some of the obvious temp track riffs in the action cues. I do miss this melodramatic/epic orchestra side of David Arnold, since Dawn Treader was such a disappointment.

Really? I'm afraid I never heard the SUPERMAN theme in it, but I liked this score way back when I liked these TYPES of scores in general. Can't listen to it now, and I sold it awhile back.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: The Musketeer - David Arnold

It's funny how David had to use the Superman theme as the one for D'Artagnan, because this version is less of a icon and more of an adolescent runt. Regardless, the music is well built and can withstand repeated listen, despite some of the obvious temp track riffs in the action cues. I do miss this melodramatic/epic orchestra side of David Arnold, since Dawn Treader was such a disappointment.

Really? I'm afraid I never heard the SUPERMAN theme in it, but I liked this score way back when I liked these TYPES of scores in general. Can't listen to it now, and I sold it awhile back.

Actually, I was referring to the Superman march rhythm. The D'Artagnan theme is a take on that . It's a good score nonetheless. In the movie, it was dialed down much more than it should have been and much of the bombast was lost.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Avengers - Joel McNeely

Not a bad score. The action cues are the highlights, though I dislike the start-stop scoring (there's a word for this that I'm not remembering) since the flow of those cues suffer at time. I wonder if Michael Kamen recorded anything before he was booted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    lp wrote
    Actually, I was referring to the Superman march rhythm. The D'Artagnan theme is a take on that . It's a good score nonetheless. In the movie, it was dialed down much more than it should have been and much of the bombast was lost.

Ah, that. Well, it's a pretty basic rhytmic figure for fanfaric stuff. I heard the exact same thing in Don Davis' THE MATRIX, in the scene when Trinity is about to jump from the roof of a building. When I saw that for the first time, I could have SWORN that the SUPERMAN theme was coming as she flew of the roof. Listen from 3:26 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPtk7mweahY
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote
    lp wrote

Ah, that. Well, it's a pretty basic rhytmic figure for fanfaric stuff. I heard the exact same thing in Don Davis' THE MATRIX, in the scene when Trinity is about to jump from the roof of a building. When I saw that for the first time, I could have SWORN that the SUPERMAN theme was coming as she flew of the roof. Listen from 3:26 here:

Well, I think Davis' version is less rhythmic in his use of triplets than Arnold's deliberate march like rhythm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote

Not a bad score. The action cues are the highlights, though I dislike the start-stop scoring (there's a word for this that I'm not remembering) since the flow of those cues suffer at time. I wonder if Michael Kamen recorded anything before he was booted.

What you are referring to is a composer hitting the sync points. Some people mistakenly call it mickey mousing. I actually love that type of scoring as it's what makes film music unique.

I don't think Kamen recorded anything but Justin might have something else to say on the matter.

BTW, I think The Avengers is a fantastic score. Here is my custom made suite
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZh3k4MxxwU

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

Wow. The Matrix is known for it's innovative special effects but i forgot how absolutely terrible that particular effect was.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

What you are referring to is a composer hitting the sync points. Some people mistakenly call it mickey mousing. I actually love that type of scoring as it's what makes film music unique.

I don't think Kamen recorded anything but Justin might have something else to say on the matter.

BTW, I think The Avengers is a fantastic score. Here is my custom made suite
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZh3k4MxxwU

-Erik-

Yes, that's it. Sync points. One of the main thing that turned me off slightly to golden age orchestral soundtracks in the beginning. I don't mind mickey mousing though, when it's for a specific genre, like cartoon. I prefer the European approach of scoring the scene, not the moment, though I love it when a score can successfully utilize both approach. The Avengers is not one of those scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Wow. The Matrix is known for it's innovative special effects but i forgot how absolutely terrible that particular effect was.

-Erik-

Shut your mouth. That's still an awesome effect, illustrating how "unreal" things seems to be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Painted Veil - Alex Desplat

Something about this really touches me. Probably my favourite Desplat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

Shut your mouth. That's still an awesome effect, illustrating how "unreal" things seems to be.

If you compare that effect to the rest of the film it's rather amateurish!

-Erik-
  1. Southall wrote

An understandable feeling.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Big Fish - Danny Elfman

I like Elfman in his more country/pastoral mode (is that what you would call this score?) Whatever you call it, it has the same kind of feel that you get from Charlotte's Web, to an extent from Sommersby and Black Beauty. This is the style of score I like best from Elfman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2011 edited
    christopher wrote
    Big Fish - Danny Elfman

I like Elfman in his more country/pastoral mode (is that what you would call this score?) Whatever you call it, it has the same kind of feel that you get from Charlotte's Web, to an extent from Sommersby and Black Beauty. This is the style of score I like best from Elfman.

It's a superb score, one of his best in the 2000's, for Tim Burton's most adult film to date. The Americana music (part pastoral, part quirky) has a certain Thomas Newman feel, I think. I love Eddie Vedder's "Man of the Hour" too.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2011
    Lonesome Dove - Basil Poledouris

Well worth the hour of my time this morning. The dramatic depth and main theme keeps the score very interesting over the course of the album.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  3. Fantastic score this one.

Hans Zimmer - Broken Arrow

I really like this score, probably Hans's most stylish action work in his career. Mostly melodic, highly electronic, with tongue firmly in cheek. I love the thematic material and some of the action. I don't care much for some of the underscore (I'm listening to the complete La-la-land edition), but still in the action department, I actually regard this one as one of his best.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    The Big Bounce - George S. Clinton

A nice tongue in cheek comedy/heist score, even it is a bit repetitive (for a 35 minute album).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote

Well worth the hour of my time this morning. The dramatic depth and main theme keeps the score very interesting over the course of the album.

Didn't like this very much back in the day, but now I love it. The slowness, the quirky saloon cues, everything.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Southall wrote

It's probably his best score, next to Lust, Caution.
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Didn't like this very much back in the day, but now I love it. The slowness, the quirky saloon cues, everything.

And its cousin, Quigley Down Under?
  5. lp,

I don't have everything, but Kamen recorded a bunch of stuff, and there's a bunch of demos, too. From constant edits in the film, to just pleasing the producers/studio, he kept having to do, what he called, "tons and tons".

What info on the score I have, and interview quotes by Kamen, are here:
    http://rejectedfilmscores.150m.com/info.html#TA

If he expressed himself correctly, I read on top of rewrites and demos, he essentially did two scores, so we could be looking at 2 to 3CDs of material, assuming he didn't do a really short score. But that could be the case, for my guess is the final film is littered with songs.

It'll be a blessing to have everything he did on CD, if ever possible.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Ramin Djawadi - Medal of Honor

Listening to the La la Land box set version. A good score, probably Djawadi's best. Great theme, good emotional performance. The rhythms are pretty amazing. I love the ethnic stint and the general atmosphere. What I also love is how restrained Djawadi went here. There is no sense of being epic here and the main theme is more of a dirge/requiem-type than the outward Americana of the previous scores in the series.

Of course it's never as good as what anything Giacchino and Lennertz have done, but still I don't think it should be judged in context of the previous scores in the series (mostly masterpieces!), because it's a modern franchise reboot. The game (not as bad as people might think) is a realistic depiction of modern warfare (maybe even more realistic than the Call of Duty Modern Warfare games, though nowhere close story-wise) and it needed a more modern sound.

Heroes Aboard is singularly Ramin Djawadi's best tracks on many levels, from technique to emotions.

3,5 stars, could have been better but still it's the best reworking of Black Hawk Down ever to come from this studio.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ I love placing my cup of joe on that disc every morning! wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorLars
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Ramin Djawadi - Medal of Honor

Listening to the La la Land box set version. A good score, probably Djawadi's best. Great theme, good emotional performance. The rhythms are pretty amazing. I love the ethnic stint and the general atmosphere. What I also love is how restrained Djawadi went here. There is no sense of being epic here and the main theme is more of a dirge/requiem-type than the outward Americana of the previous scores in the series.

Of course it's never as good as what anything Giacchino and Lennertz have done, but still I don't think it should be judged in context of the previous scores in the series (mostly masterpieces!), because it's a modern franchise reboot. The game (not as bad as people might think) is a realistic depiction of modern warfare (maybe even more realistic than the Call of Duty Modern Warfare games, though nowhere close story-wise) and it needed a more modern sound.

Heroes Aboard is singularly Ramin Djawadi's best tracks on many levels, from technique to emotions.

3,5 stars, could have been better but still it's the best reworking of Black Hawk Down ever to come from this studio.

thank you for the fair review. i like this score too. it has a very good main theme, perfect for the context of the game. i also love this middle eastern sound with the soloinstruments and solovocals. he got the tone of the game right, for me the most important aspect. maybe it's a more simple compostion than the other scores, but who cares. this kind of score ist perfect for such an scenario and it makes the situation more realistic than an overblown orchestral powerhouse score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    LA Noire - Andrew Hale

I quite like parts of this but it's not quite what I expected based on the reception it got on release.
  7. Southall wrote
    LA Noire - Andrew Hale

I quite like parts of this but it's not quite what I expected based on the reception it got on release.

Well, there's much more music in the videogame than in the CD release. Still, what we got in the CD is pretty good.
  8. NP: The Count of Monte Cristo (Edward Shearmur)

Damn, what a fine score. Why on earth do the good composers have to compose music for second rate movies when second rate composers can deliver us music for blockbusters? This is darkly delicious orchestral music with 2 strong themes, Goldenthal brass outbursts and John Williams inspired pieces. Come back Sheamur, please come back
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: Monte Carlo - Michael Giacchino

sleep

At least The Family Stone had a memorable main theme. MG should stick to big stuff, because this style doesn't suit him at all. It just sounds like everything else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

And its cousin, Quigley Down Under?

Fun too, although far more upbeat!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    City Hall - Jerry Goldsmith

This is fabulous, probably his most underrated score. "The Meet" is one of my single favourite pieces of Goldsmith - I know it has more than a hint of On the Waterfront about it, but in my book that can never be a bad thing. I don't recall hearing a more vibrant evocation of bustling city life.