• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2011
    I've no idea what you mean, Tim.

But then again, getting jokes isn't one of my strong points.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2011 edited
    OCTOPUSSY....like On Her Majesty's Secret Service ( but far more so ) it doesn't exactly lend itself to a good lyric incorporation. wink Hence one of the few Bond's where the title isn't mentioned, Nobody Does It Better doesn't count as the title 'The Spy Who Loved Me' is mentioned once in the lyrics.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Ah, yes, I get ya now. smile Indeed Octopussy is a rather embarrassing title. Would feel very odd in a beautiful song like All time high, or any song for that matter.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Am i the only one not crazy about the singing here?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Am I the only one who doesn't know what the hell you're talking about? tongue

Good to see you D biggrin beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : nothing

My ears need a rest!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    NP : nothing

I hate that score. It feels like it's going nowhere and I can't detect any discernable melodies. Every time I try it I find myself bored within 5 minutes and I'll have to put something else on.

Peter smile
  1. NP: Malunai - Largo Winch 2 (Desplat)

Nice theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote

If you're talking All time high I think Coolidge's voice fits it perfectly.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

If you're talking All time high I think Coolidge's voice fits it perfectly.

Peter smile

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

David Arnold's singing smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

David Arnold's singing smile

biggrin

He hasn't got a bad voice though, still, I'd rather he didn't give up the day job wink
  2. NP: Le Mepris (ie Contempt) (Delerue)

This man's music for his later career is mostly what we here now, thanks to Varese Sarabande. But it was this early stuff where he connected to some of the greatest films ever made, and gave them some of the best music ever written for film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2011 edited
    Chicken Run - Harry Gregson Williams & John Powell

While I don't think this score is absolutely worth five stars, it's an enjoyable romp (one of the better RC animation scores). The meat of this score is the second half of the score where the action is.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2011 edited
    NP: A League of Their Own - Hans Zimmer

An entertaining orchestral/big band jazz score.
  3. lp wrote

who would have thought Zimmer could deliver something like this eh?

Absolute adore it, alongside Prince of Egypt my favourite Zimmer score
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    lp wrote

Back in the 90s, I thought that Zimmer was capable of everything. Diverse range of scores was one of his major draw. Now, his range is a slight bit limited.

Speaking of the 90s...

NP: Days of Thunder - Hans Zimmer

OMG. I love every note of this score. That main title cue gets me everytime. Great thematic material. The rock and roll racing cues were great. The love theme is extremely nice. I just love it. There's a cue that's never been released, the Final Race cue, done by Mark Mancina, and I would kill to listen to it on a legit complete release album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2011
    lp wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    lp wrote

Back in the 90s, I thought that Zimmer was capable of everything. Diverse range of scores was one of his major draw. Now, his range is a slight bit limited.

Speaking of the 90s...

OMG. I love every note of this score. That main title cue gets me everytime. Great thematic material. The rock and roll racing cues were great. The love theme is extremely nice. I just love it. There's a cue that's never been released, the Final Race cue, done by Mark Mancina, and I would kill to listen to it on a legit complete release album.

Agree 100%.

Absolutely ADORE the DAYS OF THUNDER score. I have a bootleg version (with excellent sound), but would pick up a carefully constructed legit album in a heartbeat (not complete, but as a cool listening experience).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote
    lp wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    lp wrote

Speaking of the 90s...

Agree 100%.

Absolutely ADORE the DAYS OF THUNDER score. I have a bootleg version (with excellent sound), but would pick up a carefully constructed legit album in a heartbeat (not complete, but as a cool listening experience).

I've finally gotten a great sounding version about 8-9 years ago. One of the great aspect of this score, for me, is the fact that there are very little lags in the album. And some of these cues works very well as standalone instrumentals. That archetypical 90s pop rock love theme. That First Victory cue is superb in how it's building up to that climactic win.

I have this movie as well, one of my fave, and the score was very truncated in the movie. Most of the racing stuff in the beginning were all songs. So I think the bootleg had most of the music (with the exception of the Final Race cue, of course) that was every written for the movie. I would love a version of the album where the music was edited/compiled into suites. For example, like "Racing" where you get 5-8 minutes of those rock&roll racing cues, "1st Victory" which will have the full track for the Darlington win. "Rubbin' is Racing" would comprise of all the racing suspense stuff. "Love Theme" version 1 and 2 and 3 etc. Have "Building the Car" (yes, that track) , a track for all of the introspective material. and ultimately, the Final Race cue. And you can get a great 40 minutes album there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Thunderbirds - Ramin Djawadi (and Hans Zimmer and Jim Dooley)

Great early effort by Ramin, with more orchestral writing than his later works. Fairly thematic and melodic at time, it's a score that seems to grow with more listen, even though it's my 3rd listen in the last 5 years.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    lp wrote

we had an interview with mark mancina last week for our soundtrack board and he said, he worked only on one song in Days Of Thunder, not on the score. i think that's correct because trevor rabin said in an interview, he recommended mark mancina to trevor horn, who was working with hans zimmer at this time on The Last Note Of Freedom. i think trevor horn was looking for a keyborder on this song.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    A view to a kill (Barry)

I've never been too fond of the song, always having considered the A-ha song from The living daylights way catchier, but the instrumental versions of this theme heard in Bond meets Stacey and Wine with Stacey are great listens. There's also a recurrent action theme that's rather cool despite being rather simplistic. Besides these two themes the score is mostly rather boring underscore.

Rating: ***½

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Lars wrote
    lp wrote

we had an interview with mark mancina last week for our soundtrack board and he said, he worked only on one song in Days Of Thunder, not on the score. i think that's correct because trevor rabin said in an interview, he recommended mark mancina to trevor horn, who was working with hans zimmer at this time on The Last Note Of Freedom. i think trevor horn was looking for a keyborder on this song.

Good to know. I've been carrying the same information for 13 years now. Good to know that it's WRONG. Still, I want my Final Race cue.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Good to know. I've been carrying the same information for 13 years now. Good to know that it's WRONG. Still, I want my Final Race cue.

hans doesn't like the score, so we can't expect help from him to get an official release. it's the same problem as with Rain Man.
  4. Lars wrote

hans doesn't like the score, so we can't expect help from him to get an official release. it's the same problem as with Rain Man.

Composed by Hans Zimmer? tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Goldsmith 80th Birthday Concert

The CD, not the DVD. Performances so far (half way through it) are what might politely be described as idiosyncratic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote

The CD, not the DVD. Performances so far (half way through it) are what might politely be described as idiosyncratic.

Without wishing to be too impolite, in fact the performance here makes me forget any feelings of regret about never going to any of these festivals. It sounds worse than a 1994 Silva Screen compilation. Is this really a professional orchestra?
  5. Oh dear. I haven't listened to that one yet. shocked
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WHAT DREAMS MAY COME (Ennio Morricone)

The rejected score, which is incredible considering how beautiful it is. But I can see how it can be considered too cerebral for the rather lacklustre and saccharine film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Southall wrote

The Swarm was the low point of the performance.
    On DVD The Omen was great to watch. I just love the passion of the conductor!
    There are wonderful moments throughout but yeah, the orchestra is sadly messy at times.