• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2011
    Beautiful? It's a thriller! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    Beautiful? It's a thriller! wink

I know! But it's anything but a traditional thriller score. There are some grooves here and there that suggest something "thrilling" going on, otherwise it's very smooth listening.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: Tranformers: Dark Of The Moon - Steve Jablonsky

This started off pretty well but it goes to synthy death hell in tracks like Battle, Shockwave's Revenge and It's Our Fight.
  1. Renaissance Man - Hans Zimmer

Pleasant drama underscore sprinkled with some military marches.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote
    NP: E.T.: THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL - JOHN WILLIAMS

Seriously, what else is there to say?

cool

Complete or original re-recording? wink

Re-recording myself, IMO the best soundtrack representation ever released, genius!

It is one the best however there is a HORRIBLE edit at the 1:30 mark of the first track, so, I fixed it using the track from the original soundtrack recording. I absolutely adore "E.T. and Me" which has only been recently performed in the concert hall. And if I'm not mistaken "Adventures on Earth" is the film version recording of "Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    E.T. soundtrack in any form is marvelous!

I've made a CD with both the E.T. album and the original album version of Close Encounters together.
    Great listening!

Oh, and Happy Birthday Mr. Timmer! (bit late now I know)

It's never too late, thank you! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote
    NP: E.T.: THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL - JOHN WILLIAMS

Seriously, what else is there to say?

cool

Complete or original re-recording? wink

Re-recording myself, IMO the best soundtrack representation ever released, genius!

It is one the best however there is a HORRIBLE edit at the 1:30 mark of the first track, so, I fixed it using the track from the original soundtrack recording. I absolutely adore "E.T. and Me" which has only been recently performed in the concert hall. And if I'm not mistaken "Adventures on Earth" is the film version recording of "Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye."

-Erik-

I'm very happy to have the 20th Anniversary issue but the original album is such a great and far better listening experience, you're right about that "edit" Erik, but I'm so used to playing it over nearly 3 decades it never really bothers me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: Transformers Dark Side of the Moon.
    Since the first score, I expected in every secuel reprises of the amazing theme for the autobots. it didn't happen.

Revenge of the fallen used the bland Optimus theme instead. the action cues were replaced by dark new age oriented stuff.

Now, In this third score everything changes . It's darker. It's Full of adagios ( The Dark Knight notes are highly noticeable). A lot of electronic effects and an impressive percusion recording. It's not a memorable score. It's not an easy listen either . But it has something...something that is perfect for a robot Invasion.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I found the action music unbearable. Embarrassingly bad.
  2. Not, it's there, it's lazy, and making everyone think it works for a robot invasion. Rest assured, if Jerry or Basil were still alive, they would lay that to rest very quickly.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    I found the action music unbearable. Embarrassingly bad.

It's...cold. It's just an average anthem with percusion. But I guess it will have some dramatic power in the movie.

Some synth, like in "shockwaves..." it's very cheap, but it has some kind of "retro" ...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    Not, it's there, it's lazy, and making everyone think it works for a robot invasion. Rest assured, if Jerry or Basil were still alive, they would lay that to rest very quickly.

^
    FACT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Not, it's there, it's lazy, and making everyone think it works for a robot invasion. Rest assured, if Jerry or Basil were still alive, they would lay that to rest very quickly.

^
    FACT!

wHAT A SURPRISE!
  3. Nautilus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    justin boggan wrote

^
    FACT!

wHAT A SURPRISE!

We know. We know.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2011 edited
    NP : HORROR FILM THEMES - Various Composers

A good 2 CD compilation mostly featuring the work of James Bernard and John Carpenter but also some obvious choices from the likes of Goldsmith's THE OMEN and POLTERGEIST played by the Prague Philharmonic and some original tracks like Young's HELLRAISER and Kilar's THE NINTH GATE all of which are gleaned from Silva's catalogue, The real highlights for me are the inclusion of Brian Easdale's PEEPING TOM and Humphrey Searle's THE HAUNTING and THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN.

It's my hope that one day CHANDOS will do Humphrey Searle in their film music series.
  4. Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun

Only my second listen to the full score. Erik will kill me, but my most listened score from the set is probably Djawadi's, Giacchino's Airborne comes close second. Then Frontline, the original and Underground. To CDs 4 and 8 I listened only once.

It's great that Lennertz retained Giacchino's original themes where he could (including my favorite Nazi march!). Builds a nice sense of continuity, but while it's still an epic orchestral action score, Lennertz's work is a completely different world. That's actually very good. Rising Sun has a lot of great percussion writing, in general as in all the Medal of Honor scores, the orchestrations are very good (I can't even complain about Djawadi's score here even if all he has is a string section, it's STILL a carefully built soundscape). The Williams references are here, though handled slightly differently. Rather than going for pure Americana (closer rather to what his mentor Basil Poledouris would do than what Williams or Giacchino would have done, but the string writing (Saving Pearl Harbor for example) and some of the woodwind writing can't be mistaken, this is a great homage work standing wonderfully on its own.

I haven't heard any Lennertz scores save for his work on Medal of Honor (Pacific Assault has some wonderful emotional material and of course European Assault is probably his best work for the series and rivals some of Giacchino's highlights).

Great score, great themes and wonderful orchestrations from the type we don't hear anymore in movies. I haven't heard other Lennertz scores than his Medal of Honor works and, well, they are great. I don't really intend to listen to his parody scores though.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2011
    Scream - Marco Beltrami

I don't really like this very much. It might have been what launched his career, but I think he got far better later.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Scream - Marco Beltrami

I don't really like this very much. It might have been what launched his career, but I think he got far better later.

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Scream - Marco Beltrami

I really like that score when it goes into "delicious darkness", as I call it -- i.e. a more romantic, dark style, which Beltrami excels at.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    From what I've heard from Scream within the film and on various versions throughout the year, that's it for me as well. Several highlights throughout, especially involving the main themes, but as a whole, it probably won't capture my full interest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Surviving Picasso - Richard Robbins

Very, very good.
  5. Here, here.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2011 edited
    NP : SATURN 3 - Elmer Bernstein

I likes it I do!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Shadowlands - George Fenton

I've been the first to sing Planet Earth's praises over the years, but this is probably the finest music he's written. So elegant, so full of class, so beautiful.
  6. Hmmm... I've not heard that one. Is it like any of his other soft drama scores?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011
    Southall wrote
    Shadowlands - George Fenton

I've been the first to sing Planet Earth's praises over the years, but this is probably the finest music he's written. So elegant, so full of class, so beautiful.

It's a great one, for sure. Some classical pieces in there too, if memory serves, and it all comes together well. Often played around here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Hmmm... I've not heard that one. Is it like any of his other soft drama scores?

A bit more "classical" in nature. Perhaps his finest theme, a real keeper. See if any of your friends has a copy and ask to borrow it.
  7. "Mr. Bean's Holiday"
    Howard Goodall

A quite enjoyable score, with a instantly recognizable theme. Chorus in small parts, harminoca, flamenco(?) guitar, quirky upbeat pieces. There's some micky mousing at tims, but Goodall seems to take it very seriously in style and structure. In fact "micky mousing" might not be a good word.

A good score over all. Another delightful effort not released on CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Krull - James Horner

Pretty much as good as film music gets.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Krull - James Horner

Pretty much as good as film music gets.

FACT!