• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I give it a week, tops. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2011
    Pearl Harbour - Hans Zimmer

Very satisfying with the Barry-esque love theme, although the action material is generally weak stuff.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Birth - Desplat

One of his best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2011 edited
    KevinSmith wrote

Very satisfying with the Barry-esque love theme, although the action material is generally weak stuff.

I love the action material in tracks like 'Airborne' or 'Take Off - 30 Seconds Over Tokyo'. This one dserves a legit expanded CD.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. That's interesting. I think it's some of the worst orchestrated/written material ever heard from HZ, Badelt, Jablonsky and Zanelli. But I have no problem with that. It was a huge mess...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Still very much enjoying the new Taras Bulba/Waxman release from Tadlow. I find the improvement of The City of Prague Orchestra significant.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Marselus wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

I love the action material in tracks like 'Airborne' or 'Take Off - 30 Seconds Over Tokyo'. This one dserves a legit expanded CD.

klaus has uploaded some tracks on his website klausbadelt.com. the original version of airborne (better orchestration) sounds really good. the version on the bootleg is an alternate version. he also uploaded two orchestral pieces from The Thin Red Line. the two songs are the two themes you can hear throughout the movie and which weren't on the official soundtrack. really beautiful material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2011 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Still very much enjoying the new Taras Bulba/Waxman release from Tadlow. I find the improvement of The City of Prague Orchestra significant.
    Tom smile

This score is fantastic. Hadn't heard of this new release before now.

Btw, Tom, have you seen this before?-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x9WwQvwEF8

Bloody amazing!

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FORREST GUMP (Alan Silvestri)

I'm going through my Silvestris now. Already played ABYSS, PREDATOR 2 and RICOCHET and now it's this, one of my favourites. Calm, cool, breezy, wistful.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE MUMMY RETURNS (Alan Silvestri)

Massive orchestral and choral forces at play here. Back when this was my kind of score, I couldn't decide which was better -- this or Goldsmith's. Has some pretty spectacular musical setpieces.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Golden Bowl - Richard Robbins

Superb! I really must hear more by this guy.
  3. In answer to your question over in the recent viewing thread:
    (i) many Robbins scores are good -- the essentials are Remains of the Day and Surviving Picasso, for me;
    (ii) Remains of the Day is the best Merchant-Ivory film I've seen. They're not a bad way to pass the time, but there's plenty of other good films to see.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2011
    Thanks. I went on a Robbins splurge today and downloaded The Golden Bowl, A Room with a View and Cotton Mary (all ridiculously cheap at Amazon) and have bought cheap on Ebay Surviving Picasso, A Soldier's Daughter Never Comes and The Ballad of the Sad Cafe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2011 edited
    Moonraker (Barry)

Besides the Bond songs, this doesn't seem much like a Bond score. In fact, I don't think I've heard the James Bond theme once in this score.

This is more like a sci-fi score, and it has some very impressive moments, "Flight into space" being particularly awe-inducing.

Rating: ****

Peter smile
  4. Southall wrote
    Thanks. I went on a Robbins splurge today and downloaded The Golden Bowl, A Room with a View and Cotton Mary (all ridiculously cheap at Amazon) and have bought cheap on Ebay Surviving Picasso, A Soldier's Daughter Never Comes and The Ballad of the Sad Cafe.

I too noticed that Amazon are selling the downloads very cheap - but not cheap enough based on the clips I listened to. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP(watching): Filmucite 3: Jerry Goldsmith 80th Birthday Concert

OK. This time around Varese has got the video resolution right, filling the screen without having to zoom in, and the overall quality is much better than last years Filmucite 2. However, it's not exactly ultra-high end resolution quality but my expectations were low anyway after the previous DVD release so I won't complain.
    The audio was good on the whole with the exception of the opening of Star Trek First Contact which had an audio "crackle" glitch for the first 40 seconds or so.
    Mark Snow was called in at the last minute to guest conduct the first half in replacement of Joel McNeely and he does a fine job. The only let down was the orchestra's performance of The Swarm. They seemed to get lost in a couple of places which is a shame.
    But overall the entire show was stunning (especially The Omen Suite conducted by Diego Navarro)!
    There's so much good music here!
    An absolute "must have" for all Goldsmith fans!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    In answer to your question over in the recent viewing thread:
    (i) many Robbins scores are good -- the essentials are Remains of the Day and Surviving Picasso, for me;
    (ii) Remains of the Day is the best Merchant-Ivory film I've seen. They're not a bad way to pass the time, but there's plenty of other good films to see.

Agreed. That and HOWARD'S END.
    I am extremely serious.
    Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story - Randy Edelman

I remember liking this more the last time I listened to it. The fanfare and love themes are quite good (written in typical Edelman progressions), but the action music is the weak part (having synths on top of the orchestra doesn't really add anything).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BACK TO THE FUTURE III (Alan Silvestri)

The best score in the trilogy, IMO, mostly because it's more of a rambunctious Western score, really. But still a little too many chord-stop effects, which makes it a frustrating listen.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Transformers The Movie - Vince DiCola

Excellent score. One of the best electronic score in my library. Completely synthetic and proud of it. Vince's rapid fire keyboard work is superb and the synth programming is one of a kind. I love it, Love It, LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Will someone release a complete score of this? And hopefully, with full participation from Vince as well? A 3 disc set would be perfect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    lp wrote
    NP: Transformers The Movie - Vince DiCola

Excellent score. One of the best electronic score in my library. Completely synthetic and proud of it. Vince's rapid fire keyboard work is superb and the synth programming is one of a kind. I love it, Love It, LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Will someone release a complete score of this? And hopefully, with full participation from Vince as well? A 3 disc set would be perfect.

I've always wanted to check out that score, but never got around to it. Sounds like something I would enjoy. I have a nostalgic connection to the animated show (which DiCola was NOT associated with), but never saw the feature film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE DELTA FORCE (Alan Silvestri)

Fun synth score which Silvestri excelled at at the time. Love the funky main theme and the melancholic dirge for the terrorists.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    The man with the golden gun (Barry)

I know that the song isn't a fan favourite, but it's one of my favourite Bond songs. Pure fun and catchiness!

The rest of the score isn't too great though. Too much underscore I don't care about and no catchy themes besides the main theme and the occasional Bond theme.

My rating: ***½

Peter smile
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2011 edited
    Mars Needs Moms - John Powell

I'm not sure about this one, the underscore is pretty good, but the themes lack memorability. Only in the End Credits Suite do we get a focused thematic presence. Plus, "Maritain Mambo" doesn't exactly help...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story - Randy Edelman

I remember liking this more the last time I listened to it. The fanfare and love themes are quite good (written in typical Edelman progressions), but the action music is the weak part (having synths on top of the orchestra doesn't really add anything).

Love, LOVE the main title which has been used in various trailers but I find it difficult to listen all the way through.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    The man with the golden gun (Barry)

I know that the song isn't a fan favourite, but it's one of my favourite Bond songs. Pure fun and catchiness!

The rest of the score isn't too great though. Too much underscore I don't care about and no catchy themes besides the main theme and the occasional Bond theme.

My rating: ***½

Peter smile

For whatever reason, Barry wrote the score and song very quickly ( I think it was two weeks? ), definitely a weak Bond score by Barry's unattainable standard.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Moonraker (Barry)

Besides the Bond songs, this doesn't seem much like a Bond score. In fact, I don't think I've heard the James Bond theme once in this score.

This is more like a sci-fi score, and it has some very impressive moments, "Flight into space" being particularly awe-inducing.

Rating: ****

Peter smile

I would give this ***, but Flight Into Space is one of the greatest stand-alone pieces of film music ever and easily gets ***** all to itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    I would give this ***, but Flight Into Space is one of the greatest stand-alone pieces of film music ever and easily gets ***** all to itself.

I find that nearly the entire score has an interesting feel about it and the underscore is never boring. But indeed Flight into space is the highlight of this score, or indeed any score.

Timmer wrote
    For whatever reason, Barry wrote the score and song very quickly ( I think it was two weeks? ), definitely a weak Bond score by Barry's unattainable standard.

Agreed. Didn't know it was written that quickly. Then again film score composers often do their best work under pressure. I guess this is an exception to the rule.

I've also just started listening to Octopussy, another score that I hear is one of the weaker ones. I do find the song All time high excellent though.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It is a lovely song, poor Tim Rice didn't have a great opportunity on this Bond title though did he. wink