• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2011
    Atham wrote
    Southall wrote
    Goldsmith 80th Birthday Concert

The CD, not the DVD. Performances so far (half way through it) are what might politely be described as idiosyncratic.

The Swarm was the low point of the performance.
    On DVD The Omen was great to watch. I just love the passion of the conductor!
    There are wonderful moments throughout but yeah, the orchestra is sadly messy at times.

Are the orchestra members from mainland Spain or are they locals from Tenerife? Because I can't believe the music school at Tenerife (if such exists) holds a particularly high level, nor any local symphony orchestra. If simply because of limited raw material and people to choose from.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2011
    I have no idea!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: WHAT DREAMS MAY COME (Ennio Morricone)

The rejected score, which is incredible considering how beautiful it is. But I can see how it can be considered too cerebral for the rather lacklustre and saccharine film.

A beautiful score! I haven't seen the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    A view to a kill (Barry)

I've never been too fond of the song, always having considered the A-ha song from The living daylights way catchier, but the instrumental versions of this theme heard in Bond meets Stacey and Wine with Stacey are great listens. There's also a recurrent action theme that's rather cool despite being rather simplistic. Besides these two themes the score is mostly rather boring underscore.

Rating: ***½

Peter smile

****1/2 from me!

Nothing boring about the underscore in this and I love the ominous 'Silicon Valley' music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. The Tree of Life - Desplat

"Awakening" is worth the whole album alone. I'm so glad it was one of two or three Desplat pieces to play in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STARGATE (David Arnold)

Been in my collection since the early days, this one. I'm currently going through the ones I'm CONSIDERING selling. I've always liked this, but it may be a bit too "noisy" for my current taste. I have a few of those that I've clung on to despite the change in preference.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    The Four Feathers - James Horner

Interesting cross of Western and Eastern styles of music. The love theme (which was subsequently worked into Avatar) is a strong one, and the score carries moments of trademark Horner action and brass work.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    The Four Feathers - James Horner

Interesting cross of Western and Eastern styles of music. The love theme (which was subsequently worked into Avatar) is a strong one, and the score carries moments of trademark Horner action and brass work.

I think this is a great score, love it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FILM AND TV MUSIC OF Christopher Gunning

Christopher Gunning must be one of the most underrated of composers amongst score fans, this is works of the top-most quality, fantastic music from a fantastic and mostly ignored ( at least by the Hollywood big guns ) composer.

I give this *****/*****
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked

I should have a listen to this!

(Or is it Barry-ish? shame )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE FILM AND TV MUSIC OF Christopher Gunning

Christopher Gunning must be one of the most underrated of composers amongst score fans, this is works of the top-most quality, fantastic music from a fantastic and mostly ignored ( at least by the Hollywood big guns ) composer.

I give this *****/*****

Absolutely. Great composer. I have FIRELIGHT and KARAOKE/COLD LAZARUS, but have wanted to check out this for some time. His POIROT music is brilliant too.

(I DO keep confusing him with Christopher Gordon, though).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    shocked

I should have a listen to this!

(Or is it Barry-ish? shame )

There's a definite element of John Barry but you could also see that as an element of Poledouris ( though I think you'll take more comfort from non-Barry fan Thor's liking of Gunning's music wink ) , there's also elements of James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith, even my beloved Vaughan Williams.

Martijn, I recommend this to you 100%, it's a fantastic CD.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR TREK III : THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK - James Horner

Awesome AWESOME AWESOME score!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE - John Barry

Wouldn't be my birthday if I didn't play some music by the Guv'nor.

I'm getting all emotional now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    NP : STAR TREK III : THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK - James Horner

Awesome AWESOME AWESOME score!

I just sold my WRATH OF KHAN, but will cling on (klingon?) to this. It's calmer and more lush somehow.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, it's definitely the more lyrical of the two scores plus the "mystical" Spock ritual music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Transformers - Dark of the Moon - Steve Jablonsky

So it finally got released on iTunes yesterday, or was it Tuesday? Whatever, I finally saw the iTunes listing yesterday. Much longer release than ROTF and doesn't sound (right now) much better than the first score.

Second time listening to this and I'm not sure if I really like it. Most of the original themes are here, with different arrangements and orchestration, as usual. There are at least a couple new melody there, though they're not as prominent as the originals. More suspense and action cues, with at least one track where you clearly hear the temp track cue taken from Zack Hemsey's Mind Heist EP. Knowing that there are about 2hrs of music in the movie, this hour long album definitely is lacking, and seems to meander at time. I'll listen to it a few more times and see if anything else jumps out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Gulliver's Travel - Henry Jackman

Surprisingly enjoyable light-hearted effort from Henry, who has been demonstrating to me that he could be the next big star from RC.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2011 edited
    NP: Troy - Gabriel Yared

Excellent music. Grand thematic material with an "old fashion" epic scope. I would have loved this score in the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2011
    NP: LE CINEMA DE... (Georges Delerue)

The 6CD set, one of the really great ones. Some "bad apples" here and there (Ol' G was never too good with suspense music), but for the most part a spectacular fruit basket.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: Day & Night - Michael Giacchino

What a jazzy, happy, joyous 8 minutes of music. Love it. smile
  2. Thor wrote
    NP: LE CINEMA DE... (Georges Delerue)

The 6CD set, one of the really great ones. Some "bad apples" here and there (Ol' G was never too good with suspense music), but for the most part a spectacular fruit basket.

I haven't heard this, but I agree about his suspense. It wasn't a strong point.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    NP: Troy - Gabriel Yared

Excellent music. Grand thematic material with an "old fashion" epic scope. I would have loved this score in the movie.

Not according to Ford Thaxton and James Horner. ( but what would they know? Ford, maybe? But James??? wink )

Whatever, Personally I think Yared is one of a few really great composers working today, I think it's fabulous music and it's had a lot of plays out of me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: E.T.: THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL - JOHN WILLIAMS

Seriously, what else is there to say?

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    NP: E.T.: THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL - JOHN WILLIAMS

Seriously, what else is there to say?

cool

Complete or original re-recording? wink

Re-recording myself, IMO the best soundtrack representation ever released, genius!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Yep, the re-recording. An absolute delight.
  3. There's a re-recording?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    They did a re-recording when (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) the film was first released, specifically for the album.

It's the CDs and LPs here that have 8 tracks with the last being called "Adventure on Earth":
    http://soundtrackcollector.com/title/15 … errestrial

The latter releases are all, I believe, featuring the score recorded for the film itself.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    E.T. soundtrack in any form is marvelous!

I've made a CD with both the E.T. album and the original album version of Close Encounters together.
    Great listening!

Oh, and Happy Birthday Mr. Timmer! (bit late now I know)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE NEXT THREE DAYS (Danny Elfman)

Beautiful Elfman score -- laidback, atmospheric, textural. Just the kind of Elfman I prefer these days.
    I am extremely serious.