• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011 edited
    KevinSmith wrote
    Troy - Gabriel Yared

A wonderful piece of work on album, but it would have been overbearing for the movie.

Disagree one billion percent with the latter half of that sentence. It's a "historical" epic. Big, bold, thematic music is what this sort of film needed! They dropped the score because the film was having issues from the git-go and one of the last things they could change to trying and make some sort of improvement of the mess that was that film is to ax the original score and some how try to improve it with a replacement.

Yared's score would have been great and I've seen clips with Yared's score mixed back in and I tell ya, I would have enjoyed the film a lot more if Petersen (and the producers) left well enough alone.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. The 7th Voyage of Sinbad Herrmann

Possibly my favourite Herrmann (although I think that of many Herrmann scores each time I listen to them!). I love the Debney conducted re-recording on Varese (in fact I love nearly every Herrmann rerecording on Varese), I have no problem whatsoever with the tempo I think it's terrific.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Yared's score would have been great and I've seen clips with Yared's score mixed back in and I tell ya, I would have enjoyed the film a lot more if Peterson (and the producers) left well enough alone.
    -Erik-

But the film is so classic and such a masterpiece of artistic vision in its own right...why would it need silly things like "epic great music" to distract you from how amazing it is? smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    Troy - Gabriel Yared

A wonderful piece of work on album, but it would have been overbearing for the movie.

Maybe? But we'll never know without seeing and hearing the professionally edited result.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I love Horner's replacement score, one of my absolute favourites. The action material is astounding and it has some great themes.
  3. Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Troy - Gabriel Yared

Maybe? But we'll never know without seeing and hearing the professionally edited result.

Indeed
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Troy - Gabriel Yared

Disagree one billion percent with the latter half of that sentence. It's a "historical" epic. Big, bold, thematic music is what this sort of film needed! They dropped the score because the film was having issue from the git-go and one of the last things they could change to trying and make some sort of improvement of the mess that was that film is to ax the original score and some how try to improve it with a replacement.

Yared's score would have been great and I've seen clips with Yared's score mixed back in and I tell ya, I would have enjoyed the film a lot more if Peterson (and the producers) left well enough alone.

-Erik-

^
    Tim approves of this answer and awards Erik 500 kudos points! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Chambers wrote
    The 7th Voyage of Sinbad Herrmann

Possibly my favourite Herrmann (although I think that of many Herrmann scores each time I listen to them!). I love the Debney conducted re-recording on Varese (in fact I love nearly every Herrmann rerecording on Varese), I have no problem whatsoever with the tempo I think it's terrific.

FANTASTIC album FANTASTICAL music.

I play this over the original near every time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Troy - Gabriel Yared

Disagree one billion percent with the latter half of that sentence. It's a "historical" epic. Big, bold, thematic music is what this sort of film needed! They dropped the score because the film was having issue from the git-go and one of the last things they could change to trying and make some sort of improvement of the mess that was that film is to ax the original score and some how try to improve it with a replacement.

-Erik-

^
    Tim approves of this answer and awards Erik 500 kudos points! beer

lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    KevinSmith wrote
    Troy - Gabriel Yared

I think it would have been wonderful in the movie. Much more so than the dreadful regurgitation that Horner provided.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's not a professional mix but here's a scene with Yared's score back in the picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2BxJoWgoyo

I love it!

And here is the latter half of the scene without Yared's music.

http://youtu.be/084h7Bx-tiQ?t=1m57s

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's not a professional mix but here's a scene with Yared's score back in the picture.

I love it!

-Erik-

Excellent example.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Quite brilliant
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Scream - Marco Beltrami

I don't really like this very much. It might have been what launched his career, but I think he got far better later.

yeah

Where did he get far better lately? In which projects?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    KevinSmith wrote
    Eastern Promises - Howard Shore

A bit too repetitive and static in nature for its own good.

Absolutely wonderful and works wonders in the film. Last time he delivered so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Megamind - Hans Zimmer & Lorne Balfe

Not a great animation score by the factory, but it is very enjoyable for 30 minutes.

Yeah, not a great score, but that Roxanne/Love Theme is one of the most memorable RC theme in recent years.
    bsolutely wonderful and works wonders in the film. Last time he delivered so far.

Quite beautiful indeed. I remember being really fond of it and its use in the film; quite simple and lovely, very spot-in.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Scream - Marco Beltrami

I don't really like this very much. It might have been what launched his career, but I think he got far better later.

yeah

SOUL SURFER

Love it!

I also really enjoy his recent'ish KNOWING.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Megamind - Hans Zimmer & Lorne Balfe

Not a great animation score by the factory, but it is very enjoyable for 30 minutes.

Yeah, not a great score, but that Roxanne/Love Theme is one of the most memorable RC theme in recent years.
    bsolutely wonderful and works wonders in the film. Last time he delivered so far.

Quite beautiful indeed. I remember being really fond of it and its use in the film; quite simple and lovely, very spot-in.

Quite a shame that they didn't release a full "suite" rendition of the theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Romancing the Stone - Alan Silvestri

Hmm, Alan Silvestri in 80s orchestral + synth mode. It's good, but sadly not great. I'm a fan of the movie though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : AMELIA - Gabriel Yared

gorgeous! One of my favourite scores of the 00's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Copernicus' Star - Abel Korzeniowski

I can't understand the generally lukewarm reception this superfun LaLaLand release got.
    It's a exuberant, joyful score, with an absolutely lovely theme and great orchestration.
    Thoroughly enjoyable all the way through, and its light-hearted faux-renaissance tone and great choral work makes for a massive re-listen value. I especially like the segue from the universal University anthem 'Gaudeamus Igitur' into a a more eclectic, almost esotheric theme.

I thoroughly recommend this album.
    To me it's THE release of 2011 so far.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Martijn wrote
    Copernicus' Star - Abel Korzeniowski

I can't understand the generally lukewarm reception this superfun LaLaLand release got.
    It's a exuberant, joyful score, with an absolutely lovely theme and great orchestration.
    Thoroughly enjoyable all the way through, and its light-hearted faux-renaissance tone and great choral work makes for a massive re-listen value. I especially like the segue from the universal University anthem 'Gaudeamus Igitur' into a a more eclectic, almost esotheric theme.

I thoroughly recommend this album.
    To me it's THE release of 2011 so far.

there are some great cues in it, plus the theme's catchy and old fashioned as hell. Love the beautiful Mind vocal in it too
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Erik Woods wrote

I love it!

-Erik-

wow, that really sounds amazing.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I love it!

-Erik-

wow, that really sounds amazing.

The best scene in an otherwise quite poor film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Scream - Marco Beltrami

yeah

He's written some of the finest film music I've heard since 2000 - 3:10 to Yuma and Three Burials. Soul Surfer is genuinely really good. Some terrific action music in his Die Hard score and Knowing, he wrote the best Terminator score... I take it you don't like him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ANNA AND THE KING (George Fenton)

Another brilliant Fenton score that gets lots of spins here. Lush, unashamedly romantic, exotic and just top class.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: ANNA AND THE KING (George Fenton)

Another brilliant Fenton score that gets lots of spins here. Lush, unashamedly romantic, exotic and just top class.

100% agree!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : VERTICAL LIMIT - James Newton Howard

Superb! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Village - JNH

I needed to remind myself of how good he can be, given recent disappointments. This is a more than adequate reminder.
  6. Murder at 1600 - Christopher Young

One of his better horror scores (better than the Hellraiser series for sure).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.