• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2011
    Martijn wrote
    Copernicus' Star - Abel Korzeniowski

I can't understand the generally lukewarm reception this superfun LaLaLand release got.
    It's a exuberant, joyful score, with an absolutely lovely theme and great orchestration.
    Thoroughly enjoyable all the way through, and its light-hearted faux-renaissance tone and great choral work makes for a massive re-listen value. I especially like the segue from the universal University anthem 'Gaudeamus Igitur' into a a more eclectic, almost esotheric theme.

I thoroughly recommend this album.
    To me it's THE release of 2011 so far.

Hey, it's fluffy wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Game of Thrones - Ramin Djawadi

My wife and I are currently half way through the first season and we are hooked! Superb writing, great characters, inspired casting, beautiful cinematography and stunning production design. Most big budget films don't look this good!

While I really haven't noticed Djawadi's score in the first five episodes... it's appropriate for the character driven drama - very laid back, non intrusive (with a few exceptions) but the main title that he wrote is one of the finest themes I've heard this year. That theme paired with the stunning main title animation is a visual feast!

This is my first listen of the soundtrack album so I'm eager to hear if this score works on its own.

-Erik-

Glad to hear it's working in the show 'cause on cd it's absolutely dull and standard Djawadi, i.e. not good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    The Village - JNH

I needed to remind myself of how good he can be, given recent disappointments. This is a more than adequate reminder.

One of the best modern scores ever written, absolutely stunning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Scream - Marco Beltrami

I don't really like this very much. It might have been what launched his career, but I think he got far better later.

yeah

Where did he get far better lately? In which projects?

He's written some of the finest film music I've heard since 2000 - 3:10 to Yuma and Three Burials. Soul Surfer is genuinely really good. Some terrific action music in his Die Hard score and Knowing, he wrote the best Terminator score... I take it you don't like him.

Of course i like him but what you mentioned (with the exception of Soul Surfer which is too...odd, for my tastes and The Knowing for which i never understood the rave) are not so recent. For me, the needle is dropping after such great scores like T3, Die Hard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

My wife and I are currently half way through the first season and we are hooked! Superb writing, great characters, inspired casting, beautiful cinematography and stunning production design. Most big budget films don't look this good!

While I really haven't noticed Djawadi's score in the first five episodes... it's appropriate for the character driven drama - very laid back, non intrusive (with a few exceptions) but the main title that he wrote is one of the finest themes I've heard this year. That theme paired with the stunning main title animation is a visual feast!

This is my first listen of the soundtrack album so I'm eager to hear if this score works on its own.

-Erik-

Couldn't agree more. One of the best TV shows i've watched lately. I love the dialogues, the charcaters, the cinematogrpahy.....can't wait for season two. About the main theme, a winner by Djawadi.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote
    Heidi - John Williams

Unheralded gem from the maestro.

It IS a bit of a gem, yes, but in the film it's a bit TOO sweet and sentimental. Works much better on its own.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LONESOME DOVE (Basil Poledouris)

Folksy Americana, down-to-earth without any rapidfire Western themes (which is good).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Glad to hear it's working in the show 'cause on cd it's absolutely dull and standard Djawadi, i.e. not good.

I think it's a fine album... but I think a small part of my enjoyment comes from my love of the program.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Heidi - John Williams

Unheralded gem from the maestro.

It IS a bit of a gem, yes, but in the film it's a bit TOO sweet and sentimental. Works much better on its own.

It's not a favourite of mine but it does have moments, one track The Miracle is superb.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Species Christopher Young

Great stuff.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE David Whitaker SONGBOOK

A real mish-mash compilation of Whitaker's work from his Pop beginings like The Last Time under the name THE ANDREW OLDHAM ORCHESTRA, a now infamous piece due to it's sampling by pop band THE VERVE to later fair like his contributions to French group AIR, it also contains 4 tracks from his beautiful score to Run Wild, Run Free, a boy and his horse movie starring Mark Lester and John Mills.

My favourite track is Pavane, the liner notes give no indication of where this comes from but it's a stunningly beautiful piece that I can only think was written as a homage to French composer Gabriel Faure, it really is that good.

David Whitaker's superb talents are seriously lacking in the world of soundtrack CD releases with Doctor Jeckyll and Sister Hyde being nearly released several times, the above mentioned Run Wild, Run Free which was only ever released on LP and a tiny smattering of his work for HAMMER on various compilation CD's, The Sword and The Sorceror and Harry, He is Here are, I think, the only two soundtrack releases of Whitaker's work released.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bloody love his work with the Andrew Oldham Orchestra! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Copernicus' Star - Abel Korzeniowski

Hey, it's fluffy wink

It's neither fluffy nor overly upbeat.
    It certainly makes me smile, though, but that's for sheer joy.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just finished up with Yared's superb TROY (could do with less wailing woman crazy ). I've now moved onto the most impressive COPERNICUS STAR by Abel Korzeniowski. One of the finest fantasy scores I've heard as of late! Fans of the video game scores OUTCAST and PRIMAL will definitely dig this one! Excellent release by La La Land Records.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Antz - John Powell & Harry Gregson-Williams

One of my favorite animation score from this duo. Catchy themes and diverse orchestrations make this score a fun listening experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    (could do with less whaling woman crazy ).

Oh Lord! Agreed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Damn you, Martijn. Just as I was editing my post!

-Erik-
  2. The Alfred Hitchcock Hour Vol 1 Herrmann

What a stunning release, and two more discs to come! I wonder what other Herrmann treasures will be released this centennial year?
  3. Looking forward to what is in store also.

The Hitchcock set sounds excellent. Some more examples of his style we are all familiar with. But also some "new" stuff too - I was interested to hear his use of Scottish musical stereotype conventions.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, you've got THE BATTLE OF NERETVA and a suite from NAKED AND THE DEAD coming from Tribute Film Classics some time this year!

-Erik-
  4. Yep, and it sounds great.

A good time to be a Herrmann fan!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. I'm looking forward to those Erik, all of Tribute's Herrmann recordings have been great, my favourite being their 'Kentuckian/Williamsburg' double bill.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    Looking forward to what is in store also.

The Hitchcock set sounds excellent. Some more examples of his style we are all familiar with. But also some "new" stuff too - I was interested to hear his use of Scottish musical stereotype conventions.

Absolutely, 'The McGregor affair' is absolutely wonderful and took me by complete surprise when it popped up at the end of the second disc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Terminator: Salvation - Danny Elfman

I was largely unimpressed with Elfman score the first time I heard it. Hopefully this time I will like it more.

edit

So this score came and went. I do like it a bit more, but it's still nothing significant.
  6. Hunt for Red October - Basil Poledouris

Very good score, pity that Paramount refused to pay for the extra orchestral sessions for the ending.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Sinbad - Harry Gregson-Williams

Hmmm, I do enjoy this fun orchestral side of Harry. Very swashbuckling theme for the titular character with some good arrangements in between. It's an interesting juxtaposition with his later Prince of Persia score, which I'll definitely listen to after this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Breakdown - Basil Poledouris

His original, unused score at the moment. Excellent Goldsmithian thriller music with real intelligence.
  7. Southall wrote
    Breakdown - Basil Poledouris

His original, unused score at the moment. Excellent Goldsmithian thriller music with real intelligence.

I prefer the version that is more Herrmann-esque.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I enjoy the 3 CD set as an exercise in how music comes to fruition in a final cut, but having listened to it, I won't revisit this set any time soon.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I enjoy the 3 CD set as an exercise in how music comes to fruition in a final cut, but having listened to it, I won't revisit this set any time soon.

Do you recommend this release Martijn? I wanted to buy this but I have to be careful with cash at the moment ( particularly with next weeks Golden Child order ), your view of any Poledouris score is valid by me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's a set that is much dependent om action and suspense music. There is no thematic progression to speak of, and the electronics are reminiscemt of Love And Treason and Switchback, where they were used way better!
    The final -mostly nonPoledouris- is actually the best, but even so, it's just not all that enjoyable, to be honest. The phrase 'interesting' pretty much covers it.

If you're in a bind, I'd give this one a miss for now.