• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The Shadow - Jerry Goldsmith

It feels like Jerry Goldsmith's answer to Batman, but not quite as good.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011
    It's obviously influenced by Elfman's Batman but I prefer it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Just finished listening to a whle cue from Silvestri's score to "The Avanger"
    http://www.wqxr.org/popup_player/#

Stopped it after two cues. Just not my cup of tea.

It's a big orchestra in sound, and I thankfully hear no synthesizers, but the theme is middle ground, and I forgot it after I stopped listening.

The material, with a couple brief parts sounding like "Judge Dredd", sounds -- in my personal opinion -- just deeply uninspired,, like he knew what the film needed (and I'm sure it services the film perfectly), but felt no real emotional connection that makes for wonderful scores we've heard before. Though sometimes composer do crank out wonders for aweful films.

I was bored senseless. It went all over the place. It wasn't enjoyable. To me, it joins "Green Hornet", "The Green antern", "Thor" as another missed superhero film score. Is that it? I don't think there are any other superhero films opening this year. Three for sure next year, but this year?

I recorded, but I'll probably delete it in a day if nobody wants it.

Someone at FSM said, "old school", but I hear about five scores in there, and they're all middle era Silvestri -- no "old school" there.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Q : Is it composers who are uninspired? Even maybe just don't have the chops anymore?

...or

Just the way films are now, with producers/directors not wanting 'stand out' themes ala Nolan's Bat films etc?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. There is no blanket answer, every film, director, composer situation is different. Even if only slightly.

There is no question Silvestri has the chops to deliver on such a film, and why he didn't (in my opinion, again) ... I don't know. Like Goldsmith, he could have went over & above for the film, but he went on auto pilot. I can't say why.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Listen to the recent "On the Score" interviews, they've done Zimmer, Jackman and Jablonsky in succession...listen to what those guys have to say about what the directors are telling them to do, and cringe.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011 edited
    Mexico City - Rolfe Kent
    Very strong, almost exclusively guitar centered score.
    Melodic and interesting throughout. Kent is really THE name to go to for inobtrusive yet lovely small scores. Even though he still seems stuck in the light dramedy genre, I remain generally quite impressed with Kent's work. It's always enjoyable, it's always pleasant.
    Even if he's not been able to do any 'big' sound just yet.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Scribe wrote
    Listen to the recent "On the Score" interviews, they've done Zimmer, Jackman and Jablonsky in succession...listen to what those guys have to say about what the directors are telling them to do, and cringe.

Oh, from my Rejected Scores site, and other scores sites, believe me -- I know. I told to composers, music editors, musicians, mixers, orchestrators, etc.

I think the recent horror story I heard was that sometimes they want to give the composer a lump sum of money, it has to cover everything the score costs. And because some composers want to do a good score, but don't have the money, they pay out of pocket for extra musicians, etc, and make NOTHING -- no profit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    And it seems like every director has a new excuse as to why themes are inappropriate in their movie...Jackman said he wrote a demo of a bold main theme for the new X-Men film and the director was like noooooo so Jackman had to go back and make it more understated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, heaven forbid music would detract from their Grand Artistic Vision!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2011 edited
    Monte Carlo - Giacchino

Not without a certain Manciniesque charm at times, but the problem is by the time you say "Manciniesque charm" fifteen tracks have gone by, so short is the average length of the cues. Too bitty and too repetitive to be that enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2011
    Yeah, 40 tracks is rarely a good sign unless they are spread out over two discs and those discs have the word Conan on them...
  5. Scribe wrote
    Yeah, 40 tracks is rarely a good sign unless they are spread out over two discs and those discs have the word Conan on them...

Conan O'Brien?
  6. Eastern Promises - Howard Shore

A bit too repetitive and static in nature for its own good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Do you like ANYTHING?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD (Alfred Newman)

The single-disc album arrangement (I never play disc 2 and 3 with the C&C). Great score, religious music a la Hollywood. The performance of Händel's "Hallelujah" is pretty bad, though.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    (I never play disc 2 and 3 with the C&C).

Would you say that many scores benefit from a complete and chronological presentation? Or is it actually a pretty rare thing, in your opinion?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah devil wink
  8. Thor wrote
    NP: THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD (Alfred Newman)

The single-disc album arrangement (I never play disc 2 and 3 with the C&C). Great score, religious music a la Hollywood. The performance of Händel's "Hallelujah" is pretty bad, though.

It's not technically a C&C, Thor. The tracks that are on the single-disc arrangement are NOT present on discs 2 and 3. It's a brilliant score. I haven't listened to it for years.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    (I never play disc 2 and 3 with the C&C).

Would you say that many scores benefit from a complete and chronological presentation? Or is it actually a pretty rare thing, in your opinion?

tongue
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2011 edited
    Megamind - Hans Zimmer & Lorne Balfe

Not a great animation score by the factory, but it is very enjoyable for 30 minutes.
  9. Born on the Fourth of July - John Williams

For such a short score album, there`s alot of emotional content and depth to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  10. Vertigo Herrmann

One of the greatest film scores ever written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011
    NP: The Perfect Storm - James Horner

Lovely stuff.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: CRY FREEDOM (George Fenton)

Great score, typical Fenton lushness combined with some genuine African folk material. I still maintain that Fenton is HUGELY underrated in fan circles.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    KevinSmith wrote

Not a great animation score by the factory, but it is very enjoyable for 30 minutes.

Yeah, not a great score, but that Roxanne/Love Theme is one of the most memorable RC theme in recent years.
  11. lp wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Yeah, not a great score, but that Roxanne/Love Theme is one of the most memorable RC theme in recent years.

What love theme?

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    In keeping with the general sense of negativity over the last few pages of this thread, I simply cannot believe how bad Green Lantern is. Usually I appreciate Howard's understated subtleties but this is just too much (or more accurately, too little!), and the recording quality is awful too so I can't even enjoy the electronics for the soundscape they create.

On a better note, after 6 or 7 listens of Beltrami's Soul Surfer it has become my favorite of the year and actually one of the highlights of my entire music collection...it's just that perfect.
  12. Troy - Gabriel Yared

A wonderful piece of work on album, but it would have been overbearing for the movie.