• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The Dark Knight - James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer

Just like with their previous collaboration, I'm liking Newton Howard's contribution more than Zimmer's.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2011
    Southall wrote
    The Knack - John Barry

Brilliant swinging 60s music.

cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Indecent Proposal - John Barry

I never listen to this (other than now, obviously). Very beautiful.

cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Moonraker - John Barry

Love its grand, stately style. A unique entry amongst the Bond scores.

cool beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Indecent Proposal - John Barry

I never listen to this (other than now, obviously). Very beautiful.

Very nice theme, that one.

NP: The Robe (Alfred Newman)

Not the complete release. I never got that. Just the old one disc. Grand music.

Two disc is better!
    Still...

cool beer
  2. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Dark Knight - James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer

Just like with their previous collaboration, I'm liking Newton Howard's contribution more than Zimmer's.

I always wonder why Howard didn't made a solo score of Batman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yonythemoony wrote

Because Howard WANTED to work with Zimmer.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. I just finished it. I'd say the best track on that whole album is the title track "A Dark Knight", which is basically a 16-minute suite encompassing all the main themes -- Zimmer's themes, at least.
  4. Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Robe (Alfred Newman)

Not the complete release. I never got that. Just the old one disc. Grand music.

Two disc is better!
    Still...

cool beer

About time for a good re-recording, I'd say. beer
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bulworth - Morricone, Ennio

Superb. Music with meaning.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh cripes yeah! I'd be first in queue for a re-recording of THE ROBE.
  5. Southall wrote
    Bulworth - Morricone, Ennio

Superb. Music with meaning.

Yes. Track 1 is something else.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    El Condor / Villa Rides - Maurice Jarre

A pair of very enjoyable western scores, but each is very monothematic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2011 edited
    NP: MORE (Pink Floyd)

One of several scores that PF (and their various members) has done over the years. Probably their earliest score (1969), a slightly psychedelic score with both instrumentals and songs. It's really beautiful, esp. the melancholic organ work in "Cirrus Minor". Has some hard rock, folk and avantgarde too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Rudy - Jerry Goldsmith

Really, really lovely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Erik Woods wrote
    yonythemoony wrote

Because Howard WANTED to work with Zimmer.

-Erik-

Nolan asked JNH to score the movie and then JNH asked Zimmer to join?
  6. The other way around.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Gettysburg (Edelman)

Pretty good.

My rating: ****

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2011 edited
    JP: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES - Hans Zimmer

Zimmer is great with structured tracks, be it loud and bombastic or subtle, but he's always had a tendency to go chaotic in his wilder action moments in a way in which he loses the listener. Me, at least. Still, the flow he usually creates in his album presentations combined with several concert suite-like tracks keep him on track eventually. On Stranger Tides, however, is chaotic both within its tracks and as a listening experience on the whole.

Tracks like Guilty of Not Being Jack Sparrow, Mutiny, End Credits and even Mermaids present an abundance of old themes all returning mainly for the sake of it and rushed in mostly short tracks. It gives you right at the start the feeling that you're thrown right in the middle of a score, while constantly leaving you wishing he would've developed things a bit better.

Ironically, it's Rodrigo y Gabriela that deliver the goods with wonderful tracks The Pirate That Should Not Be and South of Heaven's Chanting Mermaids. Highlight of the album is Angelica, but although they merely perform on this track, it wasn't Zimmer who composed the melody. That credit must go to Penelope Cruz's brother.

The problem is, Rodrigo y Gabriela don't create scoremusic but rather concert-suite like summermusic that probably goes well within the film, but keep the intensity and flow out of the listening experience. Just when Zimmer gets on going, their contributions slow the whole thing down again with a more intimate sound.

Taken on their own, however, they create the scores best bits. Together with only a handful of genuine Zimmer awesomeness (on a guilty pleasure level, that is) in tracks Tree Palm Escape and Blackbeard, there's at least some merit to this score. Given what came before and what could have been, this score is a disappointment.
  7. Various syphony pieces and concerts works, via YouTube, of Nicolas Flagello. AFter seeing someone at Intrada posted fiding an old LP promo with tracks from "Winterhawk", and stuff by Walter Murphy on hte other side.

Curious, I investigated, only to find Lee Holdridge studied under him, and as I recall, so did Walter Murphy. And appearently Flagello did source music on the film, as a gesture from Holdridge.

Some interesting ideas, and some orchestration combinations I've not heard before, at places. And some nice string stuff in another cue.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2011
    BobdH wrote
    JP: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES - Hans Zimmer

I enjoyed reading this, its hard to talk for several paragraphs about music (unless your name is Christian) but this was perceptive and engaging. I do like the score a little bit more than you but I can't help my Zimmer fan-love! beer
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thanks, Scribe! Didn't think of a text written while being tired and under the consumption of wine would be called 'perceptive and engaging', but it's good to hear. beer
  8. "CHiPs" (Volume 3)

For review. Bregt -- you got another e-mail. ;-)

Skimmed threw it a little. Maybe it's just too late at night, but I wanted to invent a time machine, travel back in time, and SMASH the egg shaker.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2011 edited
    The Great Mouse Detective - Henry Mancini

Memorable main theme, lovely use of the woodwinds, convincing action, decent musical numbers and some unfortunate dialogue placement (even if it is Vincent Price) equals not a bad 45 minute listen.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ONE FROM THE HEART - Tom Waits & Crystal Gayle

Such a lovely album, it's one that I would normally play late at night but I'm a little hungover right now and this does the trick very nicely cool
  9. It's film music?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ZABRISKIE POINT (Pink Floyd/various)

Another score assignment for PF, although Jerry Garcia's love theme and its umpteen variations is arguably the most famous part of the soundtrack. Weird stuff, but hypnotizing. Also includes country songs and period songs...
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It's film music?

Yes ( I didn't do an OT post in the wrong thread wink ). It's an original song score for the film starring Nastassja Kinski and directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

Tom Waits was Oscar nominated in the old 'Best Musical Score' category.
  10. Thor wrote
    NP: ZABRISKIE POINT (Pink Floyd/various)

Another score assignment for PF, although Jerry Garcia's love theme and its umpteen variations is arguably the most famous part of the soundtrack. Weird stuff, but hypnotizing. Also includes country songs and period songs...

Is this the score where Careful with That Axe, Eugene comes from?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Isn't the End Credits for Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs just a brilliant, fun, joyful piece of music? punk
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!