• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011
    Indeed - with track 2 close behind (in more ways than one). It's fair to say that those two tracks are the only ones you need.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011 edited
    NP: TWISTER (Mark Mancina)

Cool, bustling score with a very memorable main theme. Mancina was THE MAN back in those days.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    So far today:
    Journey to the Centre of the Earth - Andrew Lockington

A general collection of bigger composers style (Arnold, Horner, Williams) arranged into an entertaining package.

The Visitor - Jan A.P Kaczmarek

Very subtle in emotion with a film that only needed a small touch of music.

The Good Son - Elmer Bernstein

One of Bernstein's best themes, very sweet and dramatic.

Fools of Fortune - Hans Zimmer

The most romantic material Hans has ever written.

Pretty good day of listening if I do say so.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  1. Thor wrote

Cool, bustling score with a very memorable main theme. Mancina was THE MAN back in those days.

And Shirley Walker, THE WOMAN.

Only Mr & Mrs Carlos managed to be both.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    Conan The Barbarian - Basil Poledouris

It's a great score no doubt about that.

To be completely honest, I'm happy with the Varese release (68 minutes) as a listening experience. The re-recording I'm sure is well done and sounds wonderful, but I'm just wary of having scores that are over 80 minutes/albums of 2CD long in my collection. This is because I don't know how much time in the future I would have for listening to scores (especially ones 100 minutes in length, since I like to scores in a linear fashion).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

And Shirley Walker, THE WOMAN.

Only Mr & Mrs Carlos managed to be both.

Good point, or does a total name change from Stott to Morley not count? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: The Green Lantern (James Newton Howard)

why do I hear such an amazing James Newton Howard in the track "We're Going to Fly Now" and I don't hear nothing of that same quality in the rest? For me this track and "Welcome to OA" are the only tracks that listen like the good old orchestral JNH, the rest is just his SALT phase and weaker

Plus, the Goldsmith theme isn't working either

Another wasted opportunity

I like the main theme and Hal Battles Parallax too. But yeh, overall it's quite disappointing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: VARESE SARABANDE: 30TH ANNIV. COLLECTION (various)

I just love this 4CD set, as it's chockful of titles I don't own (since I phased out of heavy soundtrack purchasing several years ago). Great programming too, with each disc having its own musical "theme" of sorts, and great segues between tracks. I congratulated Robert Townson on this set personally in Ghent last year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR (Alan Silvestri)

The film is a nostalgic favourite of mine, but this is cool music in its own right. This is the kind of Silvestri I still like to listen to. Wonderful synth textures and grooves.
    I am extremely serious.
    Thor - Patrick Doyle

A bit bland to put it mildly coming for a person who loves vanilla ice cream.
  2. KevinSmith wrote
    The Visitor - Jan A.P Kaczmarek

Very subtle in emotion with a film that only needed a small touch of music.

It's a score that I wouldn't enjoy a ton on its own, but it was very smart in the film. It really chronicled the main character's change. All the classical sounding piano stuff at the beginning was completely replaced by the drums at the end, fitting his expanding view of the world really well, I thought.

Thor wrote
    NP: VARESE SARABANDE: 30TH ANNIV. COLLECTION (various)

I just love this 4CD set, as it's chockful of titles I don't own (since I phased out of heavy soundtrack purchasing several years ago). Great programming too, with each disc having its own musical "theme" of sorts, and great segues between tracks. I congratulated Robert Townson on this set personally in Ghent last year.

Agreed. It's an excellent set. There are a lot of highlights from scores that I do not have there, and I have purchased a handfull of the scores represented therein simply because I liked what I head on this set so much. And it's a lot of music for the money.

I just played THE SPITFIRE GRILL - James Horner

This scores sets a really nice mood... I love that last track.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor - Patrick Doyle

Nothing wrong with Vanilla ice cream, my favourite as long as it's piled on top of fresh strawberries, water melon and chopped banana. As for THOR it was the biggest disappointment I'd heard in some time.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    franz_conrad wrote
    Yes.

ONLY track 1. wink

FIXED!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Cars 2 - Michael Giacchino

Eh. I much prefer his, IMHO, superior Speed Racer score over this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor - Patrick Doyle

Vanilla ice cream is my favourite!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Brainstorm - Horner

Simply wonderful.
  3. Southall wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor - Patrick Doyle

Vanilla ice cream is my favourite!

Everybody knows Blue Bell's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough is the best. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Brainstorm - Horner

Simply wonderful.

BRILLIANT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Brainstorm - Horner

Simply wonderful.

BRILLIANT!

I assume "Michael's Gift to Karen" is ripped off from something else, but who cares, it's stunning.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Brainstorm - Horner

Simply wonderful.

BRILLIANT!

I assume "Michael's Gift to Karen" is ripped off from something else, but who cares, it's stunning.

It is! BRAINSTORM was the 2nd Horner score I ever bought ( Trek II was 1st ) and was the very 1st CD I ever bought ( came in one of those long box thingies...anyone remember those? )
  4. "Long box thingies?" Seems like I answered your question - with a question.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    CD was packed in a long oblong box, very fetching it looked too but rather pointless, I had a few like this.

Martijn? Tom??
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    CD was packed in a long oblong box, very fetching it looked too but rather pointless, I had a few like this.

Martijn? Tom??

The only long box CD I owned was Rozsa's Spellbound. I bought in a cutout bin! I tossed the box and kept the jewel case. The box WAS pointless!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. The only thing that I can relate to is the 3 releases I have that comes in the dimensions of a "longbox" but is more of a book: releases of The Wizard of Oz, Gone With The Wind and Ben-Hur.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I had Goldsmith's MacArthur and Horner's American Tail 2 in those long boxes.
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor - Patrick Doyle

Nothing wrong with Vanilla ice cream, my favourite as long as it's piled on top of fresh strawberries, water melon and chopped banana.

So you're not enjoying it for the flavour, you're just enjoying it because of the extras. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor - Patrick Doyle

Nothing wrong with Vanilla ice cream, my favourite as long as it's piled on top of fresh strawberries, water melon and chopped banana.

So you're not enjoying it for the flavour, you're just enjoying it because of the extras. wink

No, both! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

No, both! lick

I have the most horrid inkling that you are actually talking about boobs! shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, now that you mention it... lick