• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2011
    How about Rolfe Kent's superb theme for DEXTER, does that count?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It certainly does!
    Great one, that!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. plindboe wrote
    christopher wrote
    NP: CINEMA PARADISO - Ennio Morricone

Not as good as THE MISSION, imho, but has some lovely highlights.

I enjoy it just as much as The mission. The three themes are all fantastic gems, and each track of the score is highly listenable; the same can't be said about The mission.

In any case, if you like The mission, try Nostromo. It beats both of these scores.

Peter smile

Sweet! I'll look for it. Thanks, Peter. I do agree that the average track on Cinema Paradiso is more pleasant than the Mission, but the highlights from the Mission are just soooooo good that they make up the difference for me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BATMAN THE MOVIE - Nelson Riddle

Elfman, Goldenthal, Walker, Zimmer, James Newton Howard......... This score doesn't bear any resemblance to those composers scores for Batman but I prefer this one as a listening experience over all of those! love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE THIEF OF BAGDHAD/THE JUNGLE BOOK (Miklos Rozsa)

It's an overused word, but "colourful" describes these two suites, on the old Colloseum label (probably my oldest soundtrack in terms of when it was pressed).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    "Beautiful", "wonderful" and "magic" would be other good words. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2011 edited
    NP: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II ~ Alexandre Desplat

I love it! I can't help it, it's Desplat. I love the darkness, the melancholic mood, the desperation. Have you noticed how each piece is layered? I heard it many times on headphones just to feel the layers he has created in every single piece of music. And Lily's theme... Lily's theme... breathtaking. My eyes mist when I hear it. I haven't seen the film yet but it's not much to me. I had my closure when I read the final book. But the music... it always captures my feelings. And Desplat will never seize to enthral me.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2011 edited
    NP: Predator - Alan Silvestri

Brilliant!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Firewall - Desplat

I like how sensationalistic this score is in places.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2011
    NP : SPACE 1999 - Barry Gray

cool
  3. Now you are talking! Some of the most enjoyable music written for television and featuring one of the greatest themes ever!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Percepto set of music from the original TV Superman series.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2011 edited
    sdtom wrote
    The Percepto set of music from the original TV Superman series.
    Tom

Tom, do you have a link to the release? I am struggling to find which set you mean.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. I just played "Chevaliers De Sangreal" from the score to The Da Vinci Code. If that track is indicative of the whole score, then I seriously need to track it down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    We Were Soldiers - Nick Glennie-Smith

Figures pretty highly in the "surprisingly good" list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2011 edited
    plindboe wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: Illusions - Thomas Bergesen

The first track "Aura" just pulls you in and that simple melody is nice. The 2nd track is superbly executed, with the vocal chant and brass melody, even with the Crimson Tide string quote. The whole album is just miles ahead of Invincible. One of the most satisfying purchase of this year for me.

Looking forward to it. I must admit that I'm a bit skeptical about it being better than Invincible as I found that to be a fantastic album, but definitely great to see a good review like that.

Peter smile

I must say that I didn't enjoy Invincible as much as I did this album. There's a clear sense of it being a world music + epic style album rather just a compilation of badass musical cues. More emphasis on sweeping melody and grand statements. It's still bombastic at points but the overall feel of the album is inherently more consistent given that Thomas was responsible for all of the cues. I listen to this on repeat all the time while working. In fact the first four tracks and the titular track make the album worth it, IMHO.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Now you are talking! Some of the most enjoyable music written for television and featuring one of the greatest themes ever!

Indeed, it's great stuff, not many, if any, composers of TV music of the calibre of Barry Gray anymore, at least when it comes to memorable melodic music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE FARTHEST REACHES (various)

A fanmade compilation of various scores with world music influence. It's a great one!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oooo...sounds interesting, Thor.
    Care to share the track list?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    christopher wrote
    plindboe wrote
    christopher wrote
    NP: CINEMA PARADISO - Ennio Morricone

Not as good as THE MISSION, imho, but has some lovely highlights.

I enjoy it just as much as The mission. The three themes are all fantastic gems, and each track of the score is highly listenable; the same can't be said about The mission.

In any case, if you like The mission, try Nostromo. It beats both of these scores.

Peter smile

Sweet! I'll look for it. Thanks, Peter.

beer

Give this suite a try. It has the three main themes, so if you love it you will love the album as well.

christopher wrote
    I do agree that the average track on Cinema Paradiso is more pleasant than the Mission, but the highlights from the Mission are just soooooo good that they make up the difference for me.

I agree, The mission do have some extraordinary highlights. That said, the love theme in Cinema Paradiso is in my opinion right up there with Gabriel's oboe in the highlight department. Not only is the theme fantastic, but in the climax scene of the movie it really works wonders.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote

Sure:

1. "Journey" from MOUNTAINS OF THE MOON
    2. "Harry's Bullshit" from THE TAILOR OF PANAMA
    3. "Susan: Assassin" from ALIEN NATION: TAKE OVER
    4. "Shai-Hulud" from CHILDREN OF DUNE
    5. "The Outer Provinces" from GLADIATOR
    6. "The Secret Garden" from THE SECRET GARDEN
    7. "End Titles" from PREDATOR 2
    8. "To Hamunaptra" from THE MUMMY
    9. "Sandcastles" from THE MUMMY RETURNS
    10. "A Different Drum" from THE LAST TEMPTATION OF THE CHRIST
    11. "From the Dead" from THE CROW/THE CROW: CITY OF ANGELS
    12. "Hispanola" from 1492: CONQUEST OF PARADISE
    13. "The Fremen Way" from DUNE
    14. "Journey Finale" from MOUNTAINS OF THE MOON

Superb flow! It's tailored as an LP-style program, PREDATOR 2 being the last track on side 1.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    lp wrote
    I must say that I didn't enjoy Invincible as much as I did this album. There's a clear sense of it being a world music + epic style album rather just a compilation of badass musical cues. More emphasis on sweeping melody and grand statements. It's still bombastic at points but the overall feel of the album is inherently more consistent given that Thomas was responsible for all of the cues. I listen to this on repeat all the time while working. In fact the first four tracks and the titular track make the album worth it, IMHO.

Wow, I can't wait. I like when they're badass, but sweeping melody is what I ultimately live for.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Cocoon - James Horner

It has been ages since I've spun this album. I've heard seperate cues here and there over the years but it's been 4-5 years since I've spun the album from beginning to end (minus the awful 80's pop tune.) Cocoon still one of Horner's finest emotional journeys.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Free Willy 2 - Basil P

More symphonic (and, to me, enjoyable) than the first score. But only ten minutes long. So I will listen to the first score as well.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote

Sure:

1. "Journey" from MOUNTAINS OF THE MOON
    2. "Harry's Bullshit" from THE TAILOR OF PANAMA
    3. "Susan: Assassin" from ALIEN NATION: TAKE OVER
    4. "Shai-Hulud" from CHILDREN OF DUNE
    5. "The Outer Provinces" from GLADIATOR
    6. "The Secret Garden" from THE SECRET GARDEN
    7. "End Titles" from PREDATOR 2
    8. "To Hamunaptra" from THE MUMMY
    9. "Sandcastles" from THE MUMMY RETURNS
    10. "A Different Drum" from THE LAST TEMPTATION OF THE CHRIST
    11. "From the Dead" from THE CROW/THE CROW: CITY OF ANGELS
    12. "Hispanola" from 1492: CONQUEST OF PARADISE
    13. "The Fremen Way" from DUNE
    14. "Journey Finale" from MOUNTAINS OF THE MOON

Superb flow! It's tailored as an LP-style program, PREDATOR 2 being the last track on side 1.

Good stuff!
  5. NP: The Borgias (Trevor Morris)

a lot moodier and less symphonic than its counterpart The Tudors, which is a good and bad sign. It's cool that it's totally independent from its known brother, but I miss the symphonic beautiful voice of The Tudors, I won't be visiting this one again
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FILM AND TV MUSIC OF Christopher Gunning

Without a doubt one of the very best purchases I've made this year, truly music of a superior quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Omen - Jerry Goldsmith

My favourite horror score. Perfect.
  6. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I just played "Chevaliers De Sangreal" from the score to The Da Vinci Code. If that track is indicative of the whole score, then I seriously need to track it down.

That track is the definite highlight of the album. Nothing else from that album reaches that level, imo. The rest is still pretty good, but that track is a knockout.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2011
    Da Vinci Code is a pretty nice musical journey, a lot more coherent than its sequel, you hear the ostinato base of "Chevaliers" in the first track, then it goes away for most of the rest of the score, making a beautiful bookend to the album, and there's a lot of interesting thematic development in between. I mostly listen to only album highlights (my favorite tracks) nowadays but Da Vinci Code is one of the few scores outside the classics like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings that I would be perfectly happy listening to the entire album at once.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!