• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The Egyptian Herrmann & Newman

This is my fourth listen to the Stromberg/Morgan re-recording in the last week. It's a brilliant recording of some truly heartbreaking and beautiful music. I've always been amazed at how cohesive the score is, the Herrmann and Newman material flows together wonderfully. I think this will always be my go to version of the score but still I ordered the new varese version within a half hour of it's announcement last week. In the last year I've become much too trigger happy with newly announced ltd editions. I ordered 'Devil' as well and bought 3 of the 4 previous club titles. Not to mention the many Intradas and La La lands I've jumped at. They've nearly all been great releases but for the sake of my bank account I need to start exercising a little restraint. 

Still, I'm very much looking forward to receiving the varese version. I've never heard the film version of the tracks (bizarrely I almost ordered the FSM version of 'The Egyptian' for $4.99 the night before the varese was announced).
  2. NP. Not now, but this weekend I listened a lot to...

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith (John Williams)

&

Harry Potter: Prisoner of Azkaban (John Williams)

Sigh. What could have been (had he scored all 8 Potter films).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2011 edited
    I actually prefer dark moody Desplat to dark moody Williams. I'm really not sure that Deathly Hallows wouldn't have ended up sounding like War of the Worlds or something, and that would not have been nice. I even prefer what Desplat did with Deathly Hallows to what Williams did with Revenge of the Sith, although my hard feelings against the latter are probably not Williams fault as its just a terrible film, it was good the first time but it doesn't age very well at all, imo of course....

Mainly because I am completely unable to care about the characters. Even "Across the Stars" is not enough to get me to care about the Anakin/Padme story, which is all on George Lucas and his casting, directing and writing ability, because the music is one of the most beautiful love themes ever written. Although, if Williams had been allowed to be more creative with the final act, by adapting existing themes in the key emotional moments, it might have been a bit more moving...like the temp tracking of the Arena theme when Anakin is invading the Jedi temple is just AWFUL...should have been something like a slow-tempo version of the Imperial march with a male choral backing or something similarly disturbing but leitmotif-ly coherent. And "Battle of the Heroes" could have done better being an action and choral and creepier rendition of the "Across the Stars" theme, reminding the audience that this is all happening because of Anakin's obsession with Padme. I think a younger, less modern-directorial-idiocy-bound Williams would have done something more along those lines.

Anyway, not that I wouldn't have loved to hear what Williams what would have done with all 8, but I'm completely and utterly satisfied with the scores we got. Even the Hooper scores are quite nice and fit the tone of the films nearly perfectly. And Doyle's bombastic, over-the-top style was perfect for the 4th film, though that same style would have been much more fail in ANY of the other films.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE FILM AND TV MUSIC OF Christopher Gunning

Without a doubt one of the very best purchases I've made this year, truly music of a superior quality.

Couldn't agree more
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    IT The Terror From Beyond Space
    listen to more classical music!
  3. Scribe wrote
    Anyway, not that I wouldn't have loved to hear what Williams what would have done with all 8, but I'm completely and utterly satisfied with the scores we got. Even the Hooper scores are quite nice and fit the tone of the films nearly perfectly. And Doyle's bombastic, over-the-top style was perfect for the 4th film, though that same style would have been much more fail in ANY of the other films.

The thing about film music on this level is that there is so much that 'works', because in the end it is simply not meant to get in the way of the feelings that propel us through the story. I think Desplat's score works, I think Doyle's stuff works, I haven't seen the Hooper films, but I'm sure on some level that must have worked too. Ironically some of these scores work better than my impression of how well Philosopher's Stone is scored. I think Williams got more secure as darker currents set in in the third film.

But in the end, I don't care that much about what works. The appeal of a cohesive years-long work by the premiere film composer, an answer from the composer laureate to Shore's LORD OF THE RINGS, fueled by that knack for musical ideas that deserve a place in popular culture... it could have been wonderful. There would have been resting on laurels along the way, as we heard in CHAMBER OF SECRETS and perhaps he needed a film or two off, but I think the highlights would have been more than up to the challenge.

Or maybe John Williams mixed with David Yates is just like everyone else mixed with David Yates. It works, but...

Ironically I think Desplat could have done that too, at least over a 2 film spectrum to some extent. He's doing his all to reconcile his instincts for what makes music essential with what a director thinks makes music optimal. But we never get the kind of melodic release that he has happily given many other films, and I doubt it was the material that told him to do that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Understood. I wanted to debate with the last paragraph but then I thought about all the parts of Deathly Hallows that could have had traditional melodic scoring and didn't, so you're right. I think cues like "Ron Leaves" and "Farewell to Dobby" are brilliant music in a more subtle way, but there's nothing like "A Window To The Past" or "Harry's Wondrous World", and certainly Desplat is capable of writing like that even if the orchestration would be completely different than Williams.
  4. I actually like the scoring of the first film, even if I could do with more expressive composition -- 'farewell to dobby' is a beauty, and there's some other nice things like the 'exodus' sparseness. That film's problem is that it's not a complete film, so the music can never quite get to the peaks you'd like it to. I do think I wouldn't have minded seeing the score built again from ingredients more melodically complete like Wong Chia Chi's theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yeah, there' no reason why the film couldn't have melodic pieces like that. There's a lot of extended travelling scenes where not much is happening on camera, those were scored very conservatively, and they could have been scored with rich melodic pieces instead. There's no particular reason why there can't have been a "travelling theme" worked into the whole film as a main theme of sorts. I guess the "Obliviate" motif sort of functions that way, but it doesn't seem to have any particular motivic definition, and it's not strong enough to be that "travelling theme" that I'm imagining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP. Not now, but this weekend I listened a lot to...

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith (John Williams)

&

Harry Potter: Prisoner of Azkaban (John Williams)

Sigh. What could have been (had he scored all 8 Potter films).

yeah

Thank you! Absolutely! Yes! Right on!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Omen - Jerry Goldsmith

My favourite horror score. Perfect.

It's brilliant but I hardly ever play it. I look on the shelf and there's the FINAL CONFLICT saying play me and I have to, as a listen it's far better!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. While working today, I've been revisiting the best tracks of...

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Doyle)
    .... and the Order of the Phoenix (Hooper)
    .... and the Deathly Hallows, Part I (Desplat)

One thing that's been clear on this charmed tour of the best is that all the scores in this series had their strengths. Doyle's dramatic material & more British feel (I'm not a huge fan of his action scoring, although it has its moments), Hooper's lighter material like 'room of requirements' (it's when the stakes get big that his thinner writing falls over), and Desplat's wonderful orchestrations in general (compensating for his melodic restraint). While it's frustrating that Prisoner of Azkaban was ever to be the dramatic high of the series' scoring, at least it can be said that the series was not short for different approaches. None of these guys turned in a score without peaks, and in some ways, I'm more likely to take a tour through the highlights of Desplat and Doyle's scores than I am through the first two Williams scores. Much as a eight-score musical epic from Williams flourishes in my imagination, there's nothing to say he would have quite hit it out of the park as much as he did on that third film. (Mind you, I doubt it.)

Interesting note. The climaxes of Azkaban (with the patronus light) and Goblet (with Doyle's harry theme fighting back voldemort) produce emotional peaks in those films that are far more memorable than the peak of Deathly Hallows Part II. Sorry David Yates, you something took larger stakes and made them seem smaller.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    If you watch the final film as a regular movie-goer and fan of the series, the high stakes come across perfectly. Yates made that last film ooze with drama and portent and grief and its such an emotional roller coaster. You barely notice the score except for the alternating feelings of desolation and hope it provides. While this statement usually indicates a director's bloated ego rather than reality, this truly was a film that did not need a traditional "epic" film score.
  6. Scribe wrote
    If you watch the final film as a regular movie-goer and fan of the series, the high stakes come across perfectly. Yates made that last film ooze with drama and portent and grief and its such an emotional roller coaster. You barely notice the score except for the alternating feelings of desolation and hope it provides. While this statement usually indicates a director's bloated ego rather than reality, this truly was a film that did not need a traditional "epic" film score.

I don't know what being a regular filmgoer is. All I can do is experience things. In any case, for some reason I was more emotionally involved in those scenes from the earlier films. I don't really feel fear of Voldemort in the DH finale as I did in GOF -- it's more a suspenseful, kinetic kind of climax -- and the breakthrough that ends it all is less an emotional breakthrough this time than a physical one. Someone kills something with a sword, and another person's wand turns out to belong to someone else. It's a bit less involving than 'I can defeat this impossible evil because all the dead watch over me', which is where those earlier films were coming from. It's a more emotional point at heart, to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Angels In America - Thomas Newman

I'm on my first listen of the album.... very Thomas Newman style which I love.
    (not only about the track length)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  7. When I go home from my work I will listen to Czas Honoru by Bartosz Chajdecki. Thanks to a Polisch member on StreamingSoundTracks.com I discovered this album. When visiting Poland for the Krakow Film Music Festival I bought the album. A bonus was that a concert of his music was played on the last day of the festival and we met him while drinking in bar on the first day of the festival. The SST members here probably have seen the pictures in the gallery. This abum brings a lot of emotional feelings while listening. I hope he makes more fantastic scores in the future.
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
  8. Miya wrote
    NP: Angels In America - Thomas Newman

I'm on my first listen of the album.... very Thomas Newman style which I love.
    (not only about the track length)

That score has some of Newman's quirkiness to it, but it has a lot of really wonderful and melodic highlights. "The Great Work Begins" has to be one of Newman's top five pieces of music.

NP: Cinderella Man - Thomas Newman

This is Newman's most recent score that I really enjoy. Sadly, it came out seven years ago... slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Angels In America is my favourite Thomas Newman score. I would literally stab a baby to hear another score like this from him.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Angels In America is my favourite Thomas Newman score. I would literally stab a baby to hear another score like this from him.

A baby what? Rat? Hyena? .... wink

It's in my top 5 Newman scores, nothing beats SHAWSHANK ( IMO ) but ANGELS is a fabulous score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Shawshank is my #1 Newman score, but American Beauty is also in my top Newman list. And do not forget Road To Perdition. Of course these are my personal favs.
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    franz_conrad wrote
    I don't know what being a regular filmgoer is. All I can do is experience things. In any case, for some reason I was more emotionally involved in those scenes from the earlier films. I don't really feel fear of Voldemort in the DH finale as I did in GOF -- it's more a suspenseful, kinetic kind of climax -- and the breakthrough that ends it all is less an emotional breakthrough this time than a physical one. Someone kills something with a sword, and another person's wand turns out to belong to someone else. It's a bit less involving than 'I can defeat this impossible evil because all the dead watch over me', which is where those earlier films were coming from. It's a more emotional point at heart, to me.

Hmm. I understand what you are saying, but that is not what I experienced. I guess watching the film already being a fan of the books and knowing what is going to happen is a lot different experience than watching the film as an unfolding story (like most films are watched).

*also, I just meant "regular filmgoer" as opposed to a film music fan who pays attention to the music more than it is intended by the filmmakers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Bad Girls (Expanded) - Jerry Goldsmith

Geebus, this score went from an album that featured one of my all time favorite Western theme to just an excellent (modern) western score. The missing action cues are a revelation, IMO, with none of derivative-ness that you'd find in later 90s Goldsmith action. Great release LLLR.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JURASSIC PARK - John Williams

I honestly can't remember the last time I played this? Simply because I always reach for LOST WORLD instead, a score I enjoy far more than this, still, the themes get a better workout here and I love Journey To The Island. This score would have had many more plays over the years if Williams hadn't trumped it with his follow up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

I honestly can't remember the last time I played this? Simply because I always reach for LOST WORLD instead, a score I enjoy far more than this, still, the themes get a better workout here and I love Journey To The Island. This score would have had many more plays over the years if Williams hadn't trumped it with his follow up.

Arguably my alltime favourite soundtrack, this.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. lp wrote

Geebus, this score went from an album that featured one of my all time favorite Western theme to just an excellent (modern) western score. The missing action cues are a revelation, IMO, with none of derivative-ness that you'd find in later 90s Goldsmith action. Great release LLLR.

I was hoping that this expansion did not add anything to the already-available release.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ALWAYS (John Williams)

Never a big fan of this soundtrack, but it has grown on me in recent years. Some of the country/period songs are OK, and the score is nice -- even those ethereal, twinkly "among the clouds" tracks I disliked so much before.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Do you argue with yourself?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: ALWAYS (John Williams)

Never a big fan of this soundtrack, but it has grown on me in recent years. Some of the country/period songs are OK, and the score is nice -- even those ethereal, twinkly "among the clouds" tracks I disliked so much before.

I never liked this one, maybe it's time to give it a spin and a reappraisal.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote

I was hoping that this expansion did not add anything to the already-available release.

I guess that depends on whether it's a score you really enjoy Alan, in which case I'd have thought you'd have gone ahead and bought the expanded? Personally I find this score a weak effort from Jerry, but then I always judge him by his own incredibly high standards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Do you argue with yourself?

-Erik-

Of course. The voices! THE VOICES!! MAKE THEM STOP!
    I am extremely serious.