• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2011
    NP: FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR (Alan Silvestri)

I can't get enough of this lately.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Nautilus wrote

I'm sad to not agree sad

I think it's a really boring score. but what it's worst: it doesn't devolop any of the ideas Desplat introduced in part I (wich I didn't enjoy either but at least it was more complex). it is a couple of moments put together. of course, there are some good action stuff and other some epic statements ("statues") but that's it.

Lo siento Jordi but I tend to agree more with Ravi on The Deathly Hallows Part 2 which I'm listening to right now. I absolutely adore Lily's theme and its use through out the other cues and I will definately agree with you on is the epic sound on Statues. The truth is that I like almost everything Desplat composes so I'm not a good critic. shame

Did anyone notice the "why so serious" and "vespertillO" temp tracks in the movie? This Batman begins /the Dark Knight over use in the temp tracks is really killing the composers.

Is this so? I'm watching the film tonight so I'll try to notice their use.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Saving Private Ryan - John Williams

I already liked it on the JW concert album and in the movie, but now listening to it as a whole album, I really love it smile
    Hymn To The Fallen is of course fantastic (I love the sound of glockenspiel*), but other tracks such as Omaha Beach and Finding Private Ryan are also beautiful.

(*thanks Pawel for telling me what the "sparkling sounds" is wink)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  1. Very good score indeed, I haven't listened to it for a while.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    L'ennemi intime - Alexandre Desplat

Have to be in the right mood for this one - lots of murky stuff - but it's pretty rewarding.
  2. I have yet to be in the mood to really like this one.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    franz_conrad wrote
    plindboe wrote
    christopher wrote
    Thanks for the link, Peter. Nostromo sounds good. Any Morricone score in the same league as The Mission and Cinema Paradiso is one I want. I bumped it ahead of about 20 other scores on my to-get list.

Glad that you like it, Christopher. smile

Hope you manage to find it, and that you'll some day write what you think in the NP thread.

Peter smile

NOSTROMO still stands as one of my very favourite scores.

punkpunkpunk

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY (John Williams)

From the harrowing and dissonant to soulful Americana. The 60's standards that open the album are a bit overexposed by now, though. Could live perfectly well without them.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Thor wrote

From the harrowing and dissonant to soulful Americana. The 60's standards that open the album are a bit overexposed by now, though. Could live perfectly well without them.

Short album with a lot of substance to the score.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  3. Southall wrote
    L'ennemi intime - Alexandre Desplat

Have to be in the right mood for this one - lots of murky stuff - but it's pretty rewarding.

One of my top 5 favorites by Desplat. "Fantomes" is especially good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2011 edited
    Thor wrote

I like the album. I just wish Martin Scorsese ( yeah, I know I've slightly gone off on a tangent ) would get over his love affair with The Rolling Stones, enough already!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2011
    NP : ENIGMA - John Barry

JB's very last film score, nowhere near his brilliant best but it's still a decent score and perfectly relaxing for this time of night.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. I'm revisiting my favorite score of the year...

THE GREAT MIRACLE / EL GRAN MILAGRO - Mark McKenzie

It's been a couple months, probably, since I played this last. What a wonderful score! This is not just one of my favorite scores from this year, but of the last decade. So gorgeous!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I've several times listened to said McKenzie score while walking in the woods and by the time it's over I'm so immersed in far away daydreams that I almost forget to come back to the real world.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. NP: The Last Mimzy (Howard Shore)

For reasons I only partly understand, I can't stand this.
    Off it goes.

NP: Clockers (Terence Blanchard)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALAN SILVESTRi's, Captain America, irritating to say the least.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Well, we know from scores like Christmas Carol that he hasn't lost his melodic touch, so I don't know what these action film directores that are hiring him are smoking... dizzy
  6. Christodoulides wrote

I quite like it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I probably won't get to it for a few weeks...does it have a theme? Is there any classic Silvestri or is it another rendition of the GI Joe / A-Team stuff?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Have a listen!

http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1049

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    If it is not too much trouble I would great prefer hearing about it rather than actually listening to it as I do not have any room in my listening schedule for it until the end of next week at the earliest...thanks though...
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    All this Alan Silvestri talk...
    NP: Beowulf
    Grand, heroic with an underground sound in some cues. I think bombastic is the word! Hey Tim, did you use to call me Beowulfa or was it Martijn? I can't remember.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I quite like it.

The best rendition of the Captain America theme is in a track that is only available at present as a bonus track at the US iTunes.

But with a little hunt on YouTube and some audio capture that is now sorted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Is this an original theme that Silvestri wrote or is it an adaption of some classic piece from a cartoon?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    If it is not too much trouble I would great prefer hearing about it rather than actually listening to it as I do not have any room in my listening schedule for it until the end of next week at the earliest...thanks though...

Ummm.... oooookay!

Silvestri wrote a new theme. The Captain America Theme and it's best rendition is in march form only heard on the iTunes exclusive track which you can hear on my radio show. wink

But if you would rather read about then actually hear it then here is my review.

In my opinion, Silvestri's score doesn't work... at least on CD! I don't like the theme at all (this was before I heard the March!) I can understand creating a patriotic theme for a character named named Captain AMERICA but this one is cringe-worthy! It's goofy, it doesn't really go anywhere and doesn't get much development throughout the rest of the album.

The theme to me sounds like a fragment of something bigger! It's basically this fanfare and then a low brass melody with a basic rhythmic underneath that should be part of a B theme that should eventually move onto something more triumphant... But it doesn't. Then I heard the March. But when it's not in march form it's a pretty bland theme.

The album itself isn't very well produced. It takes a good 7-8 tracks for this thing to get going. The bulk of the action cues are relegated to the end of the album but once you get though them all they all start to sound the same. The score is basically bits and pieces from every Silvestri score you've ever heard... unfortunately Silvestri chose to use all the uninteresting bits and pieces. I felt like I was listening to the scraps from Predator, Eraser, Judge Dredd.

The music isn't challenging, it's hardly triumphant, and worst of all it's not heroic... it really isn't any better than G.I. Joe or The A-Team. There's more excitement and heroics in Stuart Little and Mouse Hunt than Captain America... which means, at least to this listener, that Silvestri found more inspiration from a couple of mice then one of America's greatest super-heroes.

However, in saying that, and having listened to the album a few more times there are a small handful of highlights... "Training The Supersoldier" is a one minute cue that blows pretty much everything else in this score out of the water! There's a great motive in this cue that deserved more development through the score. And there really is only one action cue that stands out amongst the rest of the bland action cues - the rightfully praised "Motorcycle Mayhem." But once you get through the final playing of the 71 minute album (26 tracks) all the action cues sounds the same and the theme seems out of the place with the tone of the rest of the score.

By now I'm sure most of you have heard a 10 minute sample here and a 15 minute sample there. Trust me, you've already heard all the best bits.

I'm probably in the minority here but I expected more... and maybe that was my problem. My expectations from the composer of Back To The Future was set way too high!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks Erik for the thorough review. It's over the place, messy and constantly changing. Unfocused, except from that symphonic march you shared yesterday.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Wow, thanks, I thought you were just going to tell me to get lost. shame

Sounds like pretty much what I would have expected after GI Joe and A-Team. Maybe all our remaining great symphonic composers should move to Japan where they're actually allowed to score the way they want to. There's a serious problem when the only decent traditional multi-line theme I can remember being written for a blockbuster film this spring/summer is composed by Hans Zimmer for a film about a talking lizard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BY REQUEST....THE BEST OF JOHN WILLIAMS & THE BOSTON POPS (John Williams)

This used to be a highly sought-after compilation due to the inclusion of some rare tracks that have later been made available in other recordings. But the performances of the classic themes are also top-notch. One of the very best Williams compilations ever produced.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    All this Alan Silvestri talk...
    NP: Beowulf
    Grand, heroic with an underground sound in some cues. I think bombastic is the word! Hey Tim, did you use to call me Beowulfa or was it Martijn? I can't remember.

Sounds like Martijn to me smile

Great score, the last Silvestri score I really really enjoyed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Wow, thanks, I thought you were just going to tell me to get lost. shame

Sounds like pretty much what I would have expected after GI Joe and A-Team. Maybe all our remaining great symphonic composers should move to Japan where they're actually allowed to score the way they want to. There's a serious problem when the only decent traditional multi-line theme I can remember being written for a blockbuster film this spring/summer is composed by Hans Zimmer for a film about a talking lizard.

Of the many awful things Erik has done, the slaying of worlds and hearing the lament of their grieving women being the least of them, telling a member of the MT board to "get lost"* is not one of them when Erik would much rather honestly explain his view on a new score.

* Exceptions would include a 'he who must not be named' troll from India, but then everyone turned on him.

....and no, of course it's not our Ravi ( Demon Star ) wink