• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011
    I haven't seen the film Matt? As you may or may not know, I'm not really much of a Zimmer fan but this score ticks the right boxes for me when I'm in the mood for it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Mummy - Goldsmith

Fantastic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    I haven't seen the film Matt? As you may or may not know, I'm not really much of a Zimmer fan but this score ticks the right boxes for me when I'm in the mood for it.

Yeah, I wish RCP scores would imitate this Zimmer style rather than the Batman style!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yeah, I wish RCP scores would imitate this Zimmer style rather than the Batman style!

True, but they immitated that style for a whole decade. After that, it's what the studio execs think the market wants; currently, until the next new Zimmer trend, they think we want to hear endless Zimmer-batman-inception copies in every big hollywood production.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I don't think many of the 90s MV scores had quite the melodic beauty of Beyond Rangoon though, that was what I meant, I wish they would imitate that aspect of his style rather than the synth-fest aspect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    I don't think many of the 90s MV scores had quite the melodic beauty of Beyond Rangoon though, that was what I meant, I wish they would imitate that aspect of his style rather than the synth-fest aspect.

BEYOND RANGOON is my favourite Zimmer, period.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    BEYOND RANGOON is my favourite Zimmer, period.

What he said, period.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Captain America - Silvestri

Pretty enjoyable, really. Moreso than GI Joe or The A-Team.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011
    Clockwise - Maciek Dobrowolski

Crikey, this is fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

It is, isn't it? Glad to see the raving (And mostly the mt interview) has taken place smile He's pretty gifted.
  1. I can't say very much except this, trying to release that score (we contacted MovieScore Media, but to no... response actually) and get more work is a very big struggle...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I can't say very much except this, trying to release that score (we contacted MovieScore Media, but to no... response actually) and get more work is a very big struggle...

Such a shame.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I can't say very much except this, trying to release that score (we contacted MovieScore Media, but to no... response actually) and get more work is a very big struggle...

I remember urging Pawel to do so.....have you tried other Mikael Carlsson email addresses / facebook?

n.p. THOMAS NEWMAN - road to perdition

Absolutely magnificent, utterly beautiful. I am glad that the years leading up to 2000+something have given us enough great film music to last a life-time, and even more.
  2. Other? Please PM me, D.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Super 8 - Giacchino

Fast becoming a real favourite, this one. His strongest album since Ratatouille and while it's not as enjoyable as that, I feel that for the first time in a Giacchino score for a film I can really sense his own personality and feelings coming through in the music - no pastiche this time, no homage to anyone else, just pure, undiluted Giacchino. The same is true of Lost (which this strongly evokes at times), but being in the more focused environment of a feature film helps this go slightly beyond that level.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

What's it like?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Cocoon - Horner

Very, very nice.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I remember urging Pawel to do so.....have you tried other Mikael Carlsson email addresses / facebook?

n.p. THOMAS NEWMAN - road to perdition

Absolutely magnificent, utterly beautiful. I am glad that the years leading up to 2000+something have given us enough great film music to last a life-time, and even more.

As hard as it is, I would pick that as my favorite Newman score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I don't have a favorite Newman score per se but my favorite cue by him is definitely "The Letter That Never Came" from A Series of Unfortunate Events. Not only is it a gorgeous cue by itself but it works incredibly in the film, providing a heavy emotional punch to the climax of a film that was mostly meandering aimlessly.
  4. I just finished watching A.I. Artificial Intelligence, and like the film itself, John Williams' score is one of his most underrated and underappreciated. The vocal solo piece that plays during the end credits is almost worth seeing the film by itself.
  5. More specifically and emphatically, the tracks "The Search for the Blue Fairy" and "Where Dreams Are Born" are some of Williams' best music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2011
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I just finished watching A.I. Artificial Intelligence, and like the film itself, John Williams' score is one of his most underrated and underappreciated. The vocal solo piece that plays during the end credits is almost worth seeing the film by itself.

Couldn't agree more. When it hits that low note in "David's theme", it never fails to give me a lump throat, especially right now with everything that's going on.

Beautiful film, beautiful score -- maybe one of the most underrated of all time.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Rescuers Down Under - Bruce Broughton

I feel this way about the same way as I do about another Broughton family score: Homeward Bound. Both Rescuers Down Under and Homeward Bound have great main themes (the highlights of the scores), but the rest of the underscore is pretty mickey-mouse and not really endearing on its own.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Super 8 - Giacchino

Fast becoming a real favourite, this one. His strongest album since Ratatouille and while it's not as enjoyable as that, I feel that for the first time in a Giacchino score for a film I can really sense his own personality and feelings coming through in the music - no pastiche this time, no homage to anyone else, just pure, undiluted Giacchino. The same is true of Lost (which this strongly evokes at times), but being in the more focused environment of a feature film helps this go slightly beyond that level.

What shocks me the most is not that you enjoyed it this much (it's a luke warm effort in my books) it's that you think this is a strong album! shocked

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2011 edited
    NP: The Shadow - Jerry Goldsmith

One of the least talked about comic book film scores out there. Jerry hit the ball out of the park with this one. The score contains a strong heroic theme, mystery, suspense and thunderous action material. There's about 30 minutes of Goldsmith's material on the album it makes for a very exciting and thrilling listen. And I love that electronic ping that is an essential part of The Shadow's main theme.

-Erik
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Shadow - Jerry Goldsmith

One of the least talked about comic book film scores out there. Jerry hit the ball out of the park with this one. The score contains a strong heroic theme, mystery, suspense and thunderous action material. There's about 30 minutes of Goldsmith's material on the album it makes for a very exciting and thrilling listen. And I love that electronic ping that is an essential part of The Shadow's main theme.

-Erik

AGREED!!!!! Love this score. However, the 30 minute release is lacking a few great moments. Just like the Bad Girls score, an expanded release, with 15-20 min extra of the thematic scoring, would do this score justice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Musica per Film - Ennio Morricone

A wonderful compilation I bought years ago with various themes arranged (by Morricone) for flute, piano, cello and viola. Exceptionally beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011
    Southall wrote
    Musica per Film - Ennio Morricone

A wonderful compilation I bought years ago with various themes arranged (by Morricone) for flute, piano, cello and viola. Exceptionally beautiful.

I agree 100%. Several of the arrangements are fantastic; something that's rare with Morricone re-arrangements. "Musica per film" is the same album as "Io, Morricone, vol. 1". The three latter volumes are from the same sessions. Alas only the second disc is any good, as disc 3 and 4 contains his unlistenable chamber and classical music

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011 edited
    NP: Taras Bulba - Franz Waxman
    Nic Raine and the City of Prague Philharmonic

I'll discuss this more on my radio show... coming soon... but I've had this for about a month now and I've spun it once every week since. The lyrical themes, colourful orchestrations and youthful energy of Taras Bulba cements my love for this man's work and why I consider him to be the best... or at least my favorite of the Golden Age composers.

I know I'm repeating myself but I'm astounded by how far the City of Prague has come. I wouldn't have put this score in front of them 10 years ago (even though they have performed shorter and competent suites from Taras before) And engineer Jan Holzer has warmed up his sound by banishing that constipated sound of earlier Prague recordings to the Phantom Zone with hopes that it never returns. What we now get is a much warmer sound with tight detailed miking, some light reverb to round it out the recording and spot on performances.

While I consider Gerhardt's recording of The Ride To Dubno to be the best recording of any music from Taras Bulba, the ENTIRE score (including and boat load of extra tracks) have NEVER sounded better! The booklet is gorgeous containing informative, detailed and superbly written notes by John Waxman, James Fitzpatrick and Frank DeWald!

This is easily one of the finest soundtrack releases of the year!

Bravo Tadlow!

-Erik-
  6. I just bought that one online yesterday. I'm truly looking forward to it. In many ways I feel it's a greater candidate for re-recording than the Maurice Jarre scores. Waxman's writing shines when you can hear it properly.

NP: Never Let Me Go (Portman)

Currently on repeat. And it's already pretty repetitive. But for this week, it seems, I really get it. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am