• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011 edited
    NP: THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL - Paul Cantelon

First listen. Very nice theme.

Edit: Finished the score. I remember a lot of people talking favorably about this the year that it came out, but I haven't heard it discussed very often since then. It's a good album, I think. There are a few too many cues where little happens, but with a little programing I think a strong album can come from this. The final four tracks are especially good. Albums always seem a little stronger to me on the whole when they end so strongly, because my final impression of the score is such a good one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE FURY - John Williams

love

Considering this thread is my major inspiration to go and discover new scores, this is one I've not bothered to seek out, and yet I see it posted here rather frequently.

What's it like?

In a word....

BRILLIANT!

That's good enough! cool biggrin

In my opinion, a Williams masterpiece. Virtually Empire Strikes Back / Close Encounters level.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Super 8 - M Giacchino

Good. Bordering on great. Amazed that this has got a fairly lukewarm reception.

Because it is lukewarm!

-Erik-

Agree too, i don't find anything great in it at all wink I prefer Monte Carlo by far.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

In my opinion, a Williams masterpiece. Virtually Empire Strikes Back / Close Encounters level.

Absolutely. It's a like dark, powerful romance -- a perfect example of what I label "delicious darkness".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

love

Considering this thread is my major inspiration to go and discover new scores, this is one I've not bothered to seek out, and yet I see it posted here rather frequently.

What's it like?

In a word....

BRILLIANT!

FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Are you up early, Erik?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (John Williams)

I've been playing this a lot lately, as I have a special article at montages.no coming up (about the film). It's an incredibly strong score both in terms of the music and how it's being used - from the dissonant, almost Ligeti-like parts, to the Debussy-ian finale. I also just now noticed how the piano runs in the "Climbing the Devil's Tower" has a bit of a Goldsmith vibe, and there's also some Herrmann going on here and there. This is the superior original album, of course.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

love

What's it like?

In a word....

BRILLIANT!

FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

biggrin punk chicken
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Are you up early, Erik?

Indeed! I had to pick up my mother-in-law at the airport by 8am. It's an hour drive to the airport from here. Plus, I had to pack the kids into the car as well... so the alarm clock went off at 5:30am! AWESOME!

suicide

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A good mother-in-law or the kind that's the staple of TV sit-coms? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    A good mother-in-law or the kind that's the staple of TV sit-coms? wink

She was good but then I went of a Disney vacation with her and her husband (along with my wife and Liam) a few years ago and within a week she turned to the dark side! Worst. Vacation. Ever!

But that was one bad week. I have no ill will towards her whatsoever!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ouch! Even the great things in life, in your case your wife and children, comes with a price. wink
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Rudy - Jerry Goldsmith

Even though I know it was yesterday, I'm honouring Jerry's death with Rudy (not one of my favourites but I like it). Good themes even though very repetitive on the short album. Strong intimate character underscore.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  2. Any day is the best day to celebrate Goldsmith's legacy.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. I just played RESTORATION by James Newton Howard.

I usually only play Howard's music, but this time I listened to the whole album. The baroque-era music doesn't hurt the flow of the score, I think, which is a real credit to JNH. His score is really very good and some of the finale tracks are sublime. This is one of my favorites of his - I'd probably put it in my top three JNH scores.
  4. NP: LIFE AS A HOUSE - Mark Isham

This is really just a wonderful score. It has grown on me a lot since the first time I heard it, and I think it really rewards repeated listens. One thing I think the album has going against it is a couple of opening tracks that do not really represent the tone of the rest of the album at all. If all you've heard from this score is the one track represented on the Varese 30th anniversary set, you haven't heard a good example of what this score has to offer. Most of this score is made up of music of delicate beauty, occassionally breaking out into in-your-face gorgeousness ("I built myself a life"). I've just found myself enjoying this score more than ever before this time through. Really wonderful work by Isham, and if it wasn't my favorite of his before today it is now.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DOGMA - Howard Shore

Great score, love it!
  5. NP: 'Valuska' and 'Oreg' by Vigh Mihaly (Werckmeister Harmonies)

Two of the most beautiful pieces of minimalist scoring I've heard.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011
    Jaws - John Williams

This is brilliant. No wonder it turned him into the world's favourite film composer.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Southall wrote
    Jaws - John Williams

This is brilliant. No wonder it turned him into the world's favourite film composer.

And Jaws 2?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Jaws - John Williams

Brilliant indeed, up to the last note.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    chicken

Hehe, haven't seen that one before! Love it!

Peter chicken
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    chicken

Hehe, haven't seen that one before! Love it!

Peter chicken

Go here Peter, there's a whole bunch of new ones put up by Bregt > Smileys' and Emoticons' AREA 51
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011 edited
    Some real goodies added!

Now the chicken is stepping on crap:

chicken
    shitshitshit

Love it!

Peter coffeethumbsup
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    KevinSmith wrote
    Southall wrote
    Jaws - John Williams

And Jaws 2?

Also brilliant, though it didn't turn him into the world's favourite film composer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Southall wrote
    Jaws - John Williams

And Jaws 2?

Also brilliant, though it didn't turn him into the world's favourite film composer.

JAWS 2 is a much more enjoyable score IMO but to the general public this will mean nothing as it's that original theme from the original film that is stuck in the conciousness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Great Train Robbery - Jerry Goldsmith

A delightful album. Always enjoy it.

Earlier: Memoirs of a Geisha - John Williams

A stunner.

Even earlier: Mr and Mrs Smith - John Powell

Probably still my favourite album by him.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BEYOND RANGOON - Hans Zimmer

A very enjoyable score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    One of my favorite Zimmer scores that. Also a very nice, if rather obvious and predictable, film.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!