• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2011
    Kevin - Can I have what you are smoking?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. KevinSmith wrote
    Actually in the decade of 1975-1985, there was quite a bit of samey-ness in the underscore of various Williams scores.

Jaws - Star Wars - Close Encounters of a Third Kind - Superman - Jaws 2 - Empire Strikes Back- E.T. - Return of the Jedi

You can't say that all those scores are original of themselves and there isn't a similar sound.

Southall and his humour I know. But here I'm not sure, so I'll just say 'um'.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Trek II - James Horner

Extremely good. Still my favourite Horner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2011 edited
    NP: You Must Remember This Too: Classic Film Music Arranged for Guitar - featuring guitarist Gregg Nestor

A delightful album featuring classic film music transcribed for acoustic guitar and chamber orchestra. The suite from Psycho has to be heard to be believed. That track could have easily disrupted the warm, easy going nature of the rest of the album but it's a gutsy and superb inclusion which is expertly performed and sits perfectly with other selections from Diane, Wuthering Heights, Watership Down, Friendly Persuasion and many more! This is an excellent follow up to Nestor's Miklos Rozsa album which was released a year earlier! I'm working on getting both albums on my next radio show.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Mission - Ennio Morricone

I am - if I say so myself - on a roll tonight. There isn't much film music on the level of this. An extraordinary achievement even by the standards of this extraordinary composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011
    You're exaggerating, its just a bunch of flutes and stuff. Where is the rhythm and the bass and the ostinato-created sense of drama? It can't be real music without that stuff, it's just some pretty tunes with no substance.

wink (in case there was any doubt)
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011 edited
    NP: Lawrence of Arabia - Maurice Jarre
    Nic Raine conducts the City of Prague Philharmonic

Another fine, FINE re-recording from Tadlow. While every one was wetting themselves over Conan last year this one I think unfortunately got push aside by the majority of film music fans! Personally, I feel that Lawrence is the better re-recording (there was something not right about the Conan album whether a flawed mastering or recording) and features a tighter and more accurate performance (there are missed notes and bizarre editorial changes to Poledouris' score that had me scratching my head.) And the additional suites of rare Jarre scores on the Lawrence album pushes this one over the top!

I hate comparing the two albums because they are very difference scores written in different ages but since they are from the same team (producers, conductor, orchestra, engineers, etc) and came out in the same year then I think it's fair to make the comparison. Conan has more fans due to the fact that it's a more "modern" score (and a bloody masterpiece to boot) but when you evaluate the entire package I find Lawrence to be the one that takes the cake! A monumental achievement and one of Tadlow's finest releases!

Now, I don't want it to seem that I'm flogging the Conan recording. I'm really happy that it got the modern day treatment it deserved but the flaws (now matter how insignificant) were so glaring (at least to me) that when I do want to listen to Poledouris' score I really have to think about which version I want to spin. Most of the time I find reaching for the Varese original soundtrack recording. On the flip-side, when I want to hear Lawrence I don't have to think twice. Tadlow's recording is the only recording I want to listen to.

Anywho, I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I thought I would share my thoughts with you all.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who's uncomfortable with the Conan release, even if I was completely assinine in my over-reaction at the time :D

But if you are saying Lawrence of Arabia got a better treatment then I simply must obtain it, even if I'm completely unfamiliar with the score, thanks for the recommendation smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ I'm trying to get my 3-hour re-recording show up soon so you might want to hold out until then... if you so choose. I'll be featuring Lawrence, Exodus, Taras Bulba, the Gregg Nestor albums I discussed above, The Prince and the Pauper, Chandos' Christopher Gunning album (which is dynamite) and Varese's Superman: The Movie (which doesn't get the praise it deserves)

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lawrence is one of my favourite scores and the Tadlow release is just perfect. Of the Tadlow recordings I've heard (which admittedly doesn't include Conan) I think it's the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Lawrence is one of my favourite scores and the Tadlow release is just perfect. Of the Tadlow recordings I've heard (which admittedly doesn't include Conan) I think it's the best.

I put it just below El Cid. But it's in second place tied with Exodus and Taras Bulba. I can't wait to hear what they do with Quo Vadis!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

I was about to agree with what a roll you're on until you said you hadn't heard the Tadlow CONAN.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Probably a combination of skunk, opium, burning tyres, a flaming tower of burning wasps and an open tube of polystyrene cement.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Probably a combination of skunk, opium, burning tyres, a flaming tower of burning wasps and an open tube of polystyrene cement.

Ask Amy.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Ask Amy.

Too soon?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Ask Amy.

tsk tsk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Ask Amy.

tsk tsk.

What?
    confused

angelic
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Ask Amy.

A bit insensitive as a comment I should say. Behave! wink kiss
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  2. NP: Tree of Life (Desplat)

I love the classical pieces that drive the film.
    But.
    This would have worked. 'River', 'Circles' and 'Childhood' would have been great. A lot of it would have been great. It's hard to see what could have taken the place of Brahms in the film ('Skies' would have been interesting as an alternate, that much is certain).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Ask Amy.

applause
  3. Mmmm, the smell of Copydex adhesive. #smellsofchildhood
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Too much Twitter? wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. biggrin
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY - Jerry Goldsmith

Wonderful stuff!
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    Too much Twitter? wink

He's Twitterpated.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Game of Death - John Barry

Very, very enjoyable action score.

Earlier: Night Games - John Barry

Very, very enjoyable sex score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    October Skies - Mark Isham

Beautiful music. A slight score which feels repetitive even at this length, but the highlights are terrific. Would love to hear another one like this from him.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2011
    Southall wrote
    Game of Death - John Barry

Very, very enjoyable action score.

Earlier: Night Games - John Barry

Very, very enjoyable sex score.

I played NIGHT GAMES the other day, enjoyed it more than I remembered. GAME OF DEATH has it's moments but I rarely play it, not a favourite of mine at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2011
    Southall wrote
    October Skies - Mark Isham

Beautiful music. A slight score which feels repetitive even at this length, but the highlights are terrific. Would love to hear another one like this from him.

Isham is so good at this sort of music. I was listening to his Life As A House earlier. Just gorgeous. While we're on the subject, Fly Away Home urgently needs a release soon. I had the bootleg a while back but have lost it since.
  7. Inside Man - Terence Blanchard

Solid score. I especially like "Nazis Pay Too Well" and "Hostage Takedown".