• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. And I love that Bollywood song at the end!
  2. NP: Just played A Better Life (Desplat) and now onto L'fille du Pulsatier (Desplat)

I actually think I enjoy the latter most of all his scores this year as a gentle listen. 'Better Life' has a beautiful theme, and 'Pulsatier' has a couple of attractive themes.

I think if Desplat never did another score from this point, he has already done enough to be added to the ranks of the greats, for me. It's been a stunning 10 years since Luzhin Defense.

I'm also looking forward to Christopher Gordon's upcoming score for this year, and Alberto Iglesias's 4 (!) scores in the works.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2011
    Christopher Gordon's upcoming score?!!
    When will that be?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    LSH wrote
    Southall wrote
    October Skies - Mark Isham

Beautiful music. A slight score which feels repetitive even at this length, but the highlights are terrific. Would love to hear another one like this from him.

Isham is so good at this sort of music. I was listening to his Life As A House earlier. Just gorgeous. While we're on the subject, Fly Away Home urgently needs a release soon. I had the bootleg a while back but have lost it since.

I think Fly Away Home is the best thing he's ever done.
  3. Atham wrote
    Christopher Gordon's upcoming score?!!
    When will that be?

I think this is it.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1848832/
    Not sure when it's out.
  4. I prefer A Better Life to La Fille, partly because I don't understand why the theme is so similar to the lullaby from Rosemary's Baby!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Southall wrote
    October Skies - Mark Isham

Beautiful music. A slight score which feels repetitive even at this length, but the highlights are terrific. Would love to hear another one like this from him.

Isham is so good at this sort of music. I was listening to his Life As A House earlier. Just gorgeous. While we're on the subject, Fly Away Home urgently needs a release soon. I had the bootleg a while back but have lost it since.

Yeah, I have a boot too, great score and yes it does warrant a legit release.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Inside Man - Terence Blanchard

Solid score. I especially like "Nazis Pay Too Well" and "Hostage Takedown".

Excellent work and one of my very favourites of the 00's.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    I prefer A Better Life to La Fille, partly because I don't understand why the theme is so similar to the lullaby from Rosemary's Baby!

Which theme? (I like all 3 of them.)
  6. The first piece.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Medal Of Honor - Michael Giacchino

This is fun! punk
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    You have great taste Miya! beer
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    The first piece.

Ok. I'm not sure it's direct enough beyond that opening phrase to feel like more than a superficial resemblance to me.

NP: Tree of Life (Desplat)

This is great. Malick's method certainly gives composers room to write to their strengths, even if he does throw it all away (somewhat needlessly, in this case, IMO).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I saw Harry Potter 7.2 last night and to be completely honest I would rather hear more of Desplat in Tree of Life mode than Harry Potter mode.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2011 edited
    NP : FAR AND AWAY - John Williams

top o' the mornin to ya all, a foyne score, so it is!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Faith and begorrah!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Ultimo 3: L'infiltrato

This was only released digitally, which seems quite undeserved since the score sounds really good on my first listen. Even the tension music is interesting and inventive (something that's often not the case with Morricone's scores). The version in this score of the theme Doppio pensiero is really good, much grander and nicer sounding than the slow and hypnotic version from Ultimo 2.

Peter smile
  8. Kevin Scarlet wrote

Solid score. I especially like "Nazis Pay Too Well" and "Hostage Takedown".

One of my favorite Blanchard scores. Though he uses a lot the two main themes for Frazier and Dalton.

NP: Theme from Twice Upon A Yesterday - Ángel Illarramendi

One of Illarramendi's most beautiful themes.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Soul Surfer - Marco Beltrami
    Agora - Dario Marianelli
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - John Williams
    Cutthroat Island - John Debney

Pretty good day if you ask me...
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    I saw Harry Potter 7.2 last night and to be completely honest I would rather hear more of Desplat in Tree of Life mode than Harry Potter mode.

-Erik-

When I saw the film, I had to agree. The first film was more interestingly scored. Initially I'd liked part II, but it's definitely the least of this year's offerings alongside LARGO WINCH 2.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2011
    NP : HAMMETT - John Barry

Lovely bluesy, jazz score, perfect at this time of the early morning cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Superb score. Love it.

I can't remember who also mentioned this (it was most likely Tim) but I'd love to hear what Blanchard could write for a Bond film.
  10. LSH wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Superb score. Love it.

I can't remember who also mentioned this (it was most likely Tim) but I'd love to hear what Blanchard could write for a Bond film.

I remember he did a little bit of action music for Waist Deep.
  11. NP on SST: Rob Roy Overture - Carter Burwell.

I am giving this album away. Not that i do not like it, but I have this album double in my collection. I really like this album:
    Giveaway Rob Roy
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Superb score. Love it.

Yeap! It was me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A Better Life - Alexandre Desplat

This is good.
  12. I was listening to some of Barry's The Golden Child last night and I didn't really enjoy it that much. I wasn't too keen on the "fantasy electronics" or the use of the saxophone.

The saxophone is a bit like the use of the harmonica in film music: I either love it or hate it.

At least the Barry version is much more enjoyable than the used Colombier score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Playing by Heart - John Barry

One of my favourite film music albums. A trio of outstanding themes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Playing by Heart - John Barry

One of my favourite film music albums. A trio of outstanding themes.

It's a great album!

NP : RIDE WITH THE DEVIL - Mychael Danna

My favourite Danna score, great stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sideways - Rolfe Kent

Very enjoyable indeed. Listen to it often.