• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2011
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - P Doyle

It's hard to believe this was written for the same series of films as the four scores that went after it. Maybe it doesn't quite overwhelm the film the way the score for the first film does - but there's not much in it. And then for whatever reason they went for the total opposite approach with Hooper and Desplat.

(And, sorry, it has to be said - I cannot believe there was hour after hour of tedious debate about Desplat being so arrogant as to write in his own style and not Williams's style - especially given that he blatantly obviously did give more than a nod or two to Williams's style - when this is a million miles further away from Williams than Desplat ever got but barely a word was said about it. Hard to understand the different reactions.)

Having said all the above - it's an enjoyable album. I don't like it as much as I remembered (Doyle does tend to get a bit overblown for me a lot of the time) but it's good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I really wanted to play THE GOLDEN CHILD again but I'm holding back so as to not bore myself with it.

NP : THE FURY - John Williams

love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    (And, sorry, it has to be said - I cannot believe there was hour after hour of tedious debate about Desplat being so arrogant as to write in his own style and not Williams's style - especially given that he blatantly obviously did give more than a nod or two to Williams's style - when this is a million miles further away from Williams than Desplat ever got but barely a word was said about it. Hard to understand the different reactions.)

I do remember that the reactions to Doyle's score were very mixed at first, similar to Desplat's first score, with tons of critical and heated opinions, many complaining about the lack of Williams themes. Strangely this died down and these days you only hear people rave about it in positive terms. An example of a score that has aged well. Perhaps this is partly due to the fact that Hooper's scores were such a huge drop in quality, making people realize just how good Doyle's score is in comparison.

Peter smile
  1. Timmer wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    All this Alan Silvestri talk...
    NP: Beowulf
    Grand, heroic with an underground sound in some cues. I think bombastic is the word! Hey Tim, did you use to call me Beowulfa or was it Martijn? I can't remember.

Sounds like Martijn to me smile

Great score, the last Silvestri score I really really enjoyed.

Wasn't it actually me? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Julie and Julia - Alexandre Desplat

This is lovely. Nice to hear his lighter side once in a while.
  2. Goodness Erik! What brought on the lengthy comment on Captain America?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I wrote that a few weeks ago. That was part of my script for the Joe Johnston's Retrospective that went live a few days ago!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I really wanted to play THE GOLDEN CHILD again but I'm holding back so as to not bore myself with it.

love

Brilliant score, esp. the album rerecording!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    NP: BY REQUEST....THE BEST OF JOHN WILLIAMS & THE BOSTON POPS (John Williams)

This used to be a highly sought-after compilation due to the inclusion of some rare tracks that have later been made available in other recordings. But the performances of the classic themes are also top-notch. One of the very best Williams compilations ever produced.

Great Album! I only picked this up last August, I was in Boston the week after I'd seen Mr Williams in concert at Tanglewood and the record shop had a sub-section labelled "John Williams/Boston Pops"! Needless to say I filled in the few gaps in my collection, some for only a couple of Dollars. No one writes better concert arrangements of their music than John Williams, so I'm really looking forward to the concert in Birmingham tomorrow night and seeing the man himself at Tanglewood next month!
  4. The Karate Kid Horner

It took me a while to get into this but now I love it, some gorgeous music here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    John Chambers wrote
    Thor wrote

This used to be a highly sought-after compilation due to the inclusion of some rare tracks that have later been made available in other recordings. But the performances of the classic themes are also top-notch. One of the very best Williams compilations ever produced.

Great Album! I only picked this up last August, I was in Boston the week after I'd seen Mr Williams in concert at Tanglewood and the record shop had a sub-section labelled "John Williams/Boston Pops"! Needless to say I filled in the few gaps in my collection, some for only a couple of Dollars. No one writes better concert arrangements of their music than John Williams, so I'm really looking forward to the concert in Birmingham tomorrow night and seeing the man himself at Tanglewood next month!

I am envious! Not of Birmingham - maybe I'll see you there! - but seeing the man himself. I don't suppose I'll ever do that again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    Thor wrote

I am envious! Not of Birmingham - maybe I'll see you there! - but seeing the man himself. I don't suppose I'll ever do that again.

AGAIN?! I doubt I'll ever do that, period.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yeah, I feel very lucky to have seen him three times, but I guess it's over a decade since the last of those. Once more would be very nice...
  5. Southall wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    Thor wrote

I have a brother in Boston which makes it easier to justify, although I think he might be getting wise to the fact I only come to visit when John Williams is in town...

Would be great to meet up if we get a chance James, I'll send you my mobile number on Facebook.
  6. Thor wrote

Who was it that asked you to play it? wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

wink

We needed another leaving-with-coat comment right about now.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Super 8 - M Giacchino

Good. Bordering on great. Amazed that this has got a fairly lukewarm reception.
  7. Thor wrote

wink

We needed another leaving-with-coat comment right about now.

Hey, I start early. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011
    Southall wrote
    Super 8 - M Giacchino

Good. Bordering on great. Amazed that this has got a fairly lukewarm reception.

Because it is lukewarm!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh dear. Franz has caused the formatting to break.

Anyway, finished Super 8. Amongst the warmest and most personal music I've heard from Giacchino. One of my favourites by him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Wow, now I want to hear it even more, I was thinking it was just Lost-ish suspence/action music.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Grand, heroic with an underground sound in some cues. I think bombastic is the word! Hey Tim, did you use to call me Beowulfa or was it Martijn? I can't remember.

Now I'm thinking about it it may have been you Pawel or Ralph! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I have given Stavi a LOT of epithets over time, but 'Beowulfa' was NOT one of them...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote

love

Considering this thread is my major inspiration to go and discover new scores, this is one I've not bothered to seek out, and yet I see it posted here rather frequently.

What's it like?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

love

Considering this thread is my major inspiration to go and discover new scores, this is one I've not bothered to seek out, and yet I see it posted here rather frequently.

What's it like?

In a word....

BRILLIANT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Stavroula wrote

It was you! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Yeah, I feel very lucky to have seen him three times, but I guess it's over a decade since the last of those. Once more would be very nice...

I saw and met him once...1980
    31 years ago shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

love

Brilliant score, esp. the album rerecording!

I'm with you on that Thor, an AWESOME album, still, having the original as well is a bonus, there's some great music not included in the re-recording.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm listening to a DVD rip of The Cooler/Mark Isham. Cool cool jazz featuring sax and trumpet.
    tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

love

What's it like?

In a word....

BRILLIANT!

That's good enough! cool biggrin