• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Perry Rhodan: Pax Terra (1996) - Christopher Franke

Inspired by the eternal running German space opera pulp series Perry Rhodan. Produced and performed by the same people that did the Babylon 5 scores. In contrast to those scores, this album is more on the easy listening side. The CD was quite sought after for a while but can now be obtained easily again.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2014
    Wrong thread mein Captain. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I beg to differ, most noble Tim, since this isn't the score of some film project. The concept album was inspired by the dime novel series Perry Rhodan in general.

http://www.perry-rhodan.net/

You might cmopare this to McNeely's Shadows of the Empire, safe that Pax Terra does not follow a certain story.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I stand corrected smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Borodin this morning. His opera Prince Igor
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Cendres De Lune - Mylène Farmer

I absolutely love Mylène's fragile style of singing (and it certainly helps she is stunning love ), but this early eighties album is just an awful throwback with some terribly and far too obviously dated synth and sampler work that sounds like New Order might have accidentally vomited it up before an evil French producer scooped it up and recycled it. I'll stick with her seminal L'Autre for this era. I think she did much better in the nineties.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Cendres De Lune - Mylène Farmer

I absolutely love Mylène's fragile style of singing (and it certainly helps she is stunning love ),

Agreed!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : GREATEST HITS - The Pretenders

Excellent stuff!

KID
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2014 edited
    NP: The Tone Poems of Kevin Kaska - Kevin Kaska

Royal Scottish National Orchestra, London Symphony Orchestra, Winchester Cathedral Chamber Choir,
    Conducted by Allan Wilson, Ronald Fieldman

BLOODY BRILLIANT!

If you haven't heard this - "The Golden Flacon" and "Battle for Atlantis" will knock your socks off!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Tone-Poems-Ke … B0066SPU1E

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2014
    I'll give it a listen tomorrow Erik smile
  3. Played yesterday evening:

Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here

What a powerful and utterly brilliant album that is.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2014 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

Royal Scottish National Orchestra, London Symphony Orchestra, Winchester Cathedral Chamber Choir,

BLOODY BRILLIANT!

If you haven't heard this - "The Golden Flacon" and "Battle for Atlantis" will knock your socks off!

-Erik-

Very worthwhile.

I intend to order the Tone Poems album. Thank you for the recommendation Erik.

I also played this from looking at the side bar, an Alan Hovhaness piece I'd not heard before ( to be honest, the man was so prolific that there's a lot of his works I've not heard ), it's really beautiful. I particularly recommend it to Thor.

SYMPHONY # 66 'HYMN TO GLACIER PEAK'
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

BLOODY BRILLIANT!

-Erik-

Very worthwhile.

I intend to order the Tone Poems album. Thank you for the recommendation Erik.

My pleasure, Timmer.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    smile

Good to see that you do look in this thread too Erik.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks. I'll check it out when I get some more time.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. NP: Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of SPARTACUS (1992)

While this clearly does not have the greatness and splendour of The War of the Worlds, it does not deserve to be utterly forgotten. This album has its moments.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2014
    NP: STONE CUTTERS AND EARLY CHAMBER WORKS (Elliot Goldenthal)

The new CD just arrived in the mail (at last -- it's like 4 weeks shipping from the US, and the jewel case was totally cracked!). Listening to it now -- this is rather challenging, even in Goldenthal terms. I had the brass quintet already. As always, though, utterly fascinating music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of SPARTACUS (1992)

While this clearly does not have the greatness and splendour of The War of the Worlds, it does not deserve to be utterly forgotten. This album has its moments.

It does have its moments, but precious few of them, unfortunately (Hopkins' voice acting and Catherine Z-J-D's singing two of them).
    But while the cast is unifomly very good, I think the compositional/musical ideas are spread too thin, with far too few strong melodies. And the (over-)reliance on keyboards and samplers makes the work sound oddly dated by today's standards...much more so than The War Of The Worlds!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2014 edited
    It was a crushingly disappointing follow-up to War of The Worlds. I can remember CZJ promoting the hell out of this on various chat shows at the time. It certainly did for her, any hopes of pop stardom.

NP : STILL LIFE ( TALKING ) - Pat Metheny Group

One of the best albums ever IMO. Joie de vivre love

If anyone wants to listen to some modern, and most importantly, melodic and brilliantly played jazz then you can check the album out on Spotify.

Note: The last two tracks 'Distance/In Her Family' ends the album in a very eerie way, very Morricone-ish, it wouldn't sound out of place in The Thing or one of the Spagetti Western desert settings. The track ends in a gorgeous melody for piano.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2014
    NP: THE DIVISION BELL (Pink Floyd)

I'm drunk beyond beliefek, but this was the last thing I plaued before my guests went, and it's still playing. Superb albums. Rave on.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    NP: THE DIVISION BELL (Pink Floyd)

I'm drunk beyond beliefek, but this was the last thing I plaued before my guests went, and it's still playing. Superb albums. Rave on.

There was a ragged band that followed in our footsteps
    Running before time took our dreams away
    Leaving the myriad small creatures trying to tie us to the ground
    To a life consumed by slow decay

That's somehow fitting, ain't it? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I love The DIvision Bell, but I must admit that my favourite track is Cluster One of all things smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PARALLEL LINES - Blondie

cool punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2014
    NP: THE SICILIAN DEFENCE (The Alan Parsons Project)

Scrapped 1979 instrumental album which was recently released in their 'complete collection' remasters box. Not terribly good (intentionally so), but with some highlights. At this point, I welcome any new AP with open arms.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2014 edited
    NP: TEN (Astral Projection)

One of the landmark albums of psytrance. Groovy.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. NP: Vulture Culture (1985) - The Alan Parsons Project

More streamlined and mainstream than the earlier works, still, great music!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Vulture Culture (1985) - The Alan Parsons Project

More streamlined and mainstream than the earlier works, still, great music!

Volker

It is. "Hawkeye" is a great track, in particular.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. NP: To Our Children's Children's Children (1969) - The Moody Blues

Utterly brilliant!

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2014
    NP : THE MAGIC OF - Dusty Springfield

Magic is right. What a voice!! love