• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008
    Halo 3 soundtrack is a HUGE disappointment for me. I was expecting something BIG, BOMBASTIC, EPIC, etc. After all, this is the ultimate war between MANKIND and evil aliens! But that score didn't really deliver any grandeur....
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Listen to the first Medal of Honor by Giacchino, while it's absolutely stunning, it doesn't feature lots of theme development, more like the tracks stand on their own, of course it's Giacchino at his best so he does something amazing with each cue, even though there's no real sense of buildup to a great climax (though he managed to do this with Frontline quite spectacularly).

shocked

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! Are you even listening to the right album?

Good God man... the thematic development is incredible. Themes come and go constantly. And no sense of buildup to a great climax? Seriously??? SERIOUSLY?!?!? Have to listened to "The Jet Aircraft Facility" There is your thematic development and great climax all in one!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008 edited
    Oh yeah, it works well in the game as it should, but I think releasing the complete score on 2 CDs was a bit much.

(Reffering to Halo 3, Erik beat me to posting).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yeap, what Erik said!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thematic development is what makes Giacchino such a genius. I don't know another composer who uses themes like he does, some of his MOH stuff is incredible.

P.S. Demetris - The ''submarine'' theme from Lost (where Juilet sees the island), where did you say that was also used?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008 edited
    Well i don't remember now. It was also used in another point during season 3 but i can't recall. It's pure genius though; that moment is one of the cleverest ones for TV music in general and i strongly believe that! Same goes for the all will be well thingy when Jack and "the others" leave the island on the boat on season 3 episode 9 (if i recall correctly). Those were my 2 top film (tv, whatever) music moments last year!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Giacchino steals a page out of John Williams book...

Giacchino has done the MOH cameo three times... that I know of.

Once in The Incredibles --> V2 Theme
    Once in Ratalouille --> MOH: U Theme
    And in Lost --> Submarine

I love it! That's a composer just plain having fun!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well I'm still on craptacular ( tongue ) season 2. I eagerly await being able to hear that music again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    $)#@*($)(@#_%*)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Which tracks?
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Listen to the first Medal of Honor by Giacchino, while it's absolutely stunning, it doesn't feature lots of theme development, more like the tracks stand on their own, of course it's Giacchino at his best so he does something amazing with each cue, even though there's no real sense of buildup to a great climax (though he managed to do this with Frontline quite spectacularly).

shocked

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! Are you even listening to the right album?

Good God man... the thematic development is incredible. Themes come and go constantly. And no sense of buildup to a great climax? Seriously??? SERIOUSLY?!?!? Have to listened to "The Jet Aircraft Facility" There is your thematic development and great climax all in one!

-Erik-

No no maybe I didn't make myself clear, it's like each track has the development in itself, yet stands on its own... There's very little from each track that goes over in the others, apart from the major themes, the hero theme, the nazi theme, but each one has its own distinct feel and development. This is Giacchino's greatest strength, he can come up with some wonderful theme and just build on it for one track than do something totally different in the next.

Frontline has the more filmic approach, going from track 1 and using those themes in the following tracks. There are some classic action cues, some slow mournful stuff, some sneaky infiltration stuff, but all the time it feels coherent. Giacchino builds up to a rousing finale and gives the whole soundtrack tremendous depth.

It just feels so to me.The first MOH just feels fragmented to me, but I didn't say it has no thematic progression, just each track lives on its own. What I mean to say is, essentially you could throw the whole order of the tracks around, at random, and it would be just the same, listening experience-wise... Try to do that in say, a Star Wars score and the whole listening experience goes out the window. That would be a musical rape for my ears.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Try to do that in say, a Star Wars score and the whole listening experience goes out the window. That would be a musical rape for my ears.

They did do that with the original Star Wars LP and all of Williams' albums are all out of order and edited for album presentation. While I do prefer the chronological ordered releases, the original Star Wars Double LP and The Empire Strikes Back Double LP are very well put together and actual do play very well.

-Erik-
  2. Nah, give me the order as heard in the film anytime. Like the U-571 soundtrack, I never listen to it in the order of the CD. It's just ridiculous... because all the good stuff is at the beginning. It becomes a bore after 20-25 minutes.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Which tracks?

If memory serves me well, Underground theme is in Collette Shows Him Le Ropes. I haven't seen the film yet, but I've heard that it's when a character discusses the French Resistance, so it's kinda in-joke. I would love to know where is the Submarine theme in Lost.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Here is the scene
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugczYWeqI-M

It's the The U-Boat theme from the original MOH.

-Erik-
  4. A good place to hear a range of games music is on composers' myspace pages, as so much music just gets buried in games or not released. I found the following to have quite a bit of music:

http://www.myspace.com/jeremysoule
    http://www.myspace.com/jameshannigan
    http://www.myspace.com/christopherlennertz
    http://www.myspace.com/richardjacquesmusic
    http://www.myspace.com/christiltoncomposer

If anybody has any others to recommend please post.
  5. Interested to hear any of James Hannigan's music. His name has cropped up several times here and I know nothing of his work. Thanks.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2008

Wow, the cues from "The Comebacks" are great, this should be available.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2008 edited
    Marselus wrote

iTunes and promo only... and my CD wont' play. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

iTunes and promo only... and my CD wont' play. sad

And how´s that? confused
    (I didn´t know it was available through iTunes; I´ll check it out).
    •  
      CommentAuthorJohn
    I would definately check out Soule's work over at www.directsong.com , especially the Oblivion and Guild Wars soundtracks.

The Metal Gear Solid scores are great, the first and second one that is, and the Halo soundtracks as previously mentioned.
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Interested to hear any of James Hannigan's music. His name has cropped up several times here and I know nothing of his work. Thanks.

Check out the 'A Collage'. About 6 minutes in there is an incredible action track. What is this actually from, anybody? 'Welcome To Hogwarts' and the Evil Genius theme are also good. http://www.myspace.com/jameshannigan

I'd agree with John about the MGS scores... which are awesome, especially since Gregson-Williams got on the series. Interesting though is that he didn't actually compose the famous main theme, which was in the first game and written by someone at Konami. But he certainly upped the production values.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    I've never really cared for the MGS scores. They seem fairly generic. They work well enough in the game, but I don't think they hold much listening value on their own.
  7. Well MGS2 had the awesome main theme, remixed by Gregson-Williams and some cool action cues during the Tanker sequence. MGS3 also has some moments of merit (the lovely 'Debriefing' is a stunner), but I'm hoping number 4 will be the coolest thing he ever did, because the music that played during those numerous trailers is great. That or the trailers are so nicely edited it brings out the music. Would love to see some variation and not do his usual synth work we know him so well for...
    •  
      CommentAuthorJohn
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2008
    Ah yes, the lovely debriefing. That and 2:00 - 4:00 of track 4 - 'Virtuous Mission' are the highlights of that album for me. I'm also hoping the 4th in the series is as good as its predecessors.
  8. I was listening to some tracks from Ben Houge's score for Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura. Scored completely for string quartet it's quite a nice change from the usual game scoring.

Want to hear it?

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/sierra/med … track.html
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008 edited
    Panthera wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Panthera wrote
    Kameo Elements of Power has an amazing score that could easily be mistaken for a film score. Plus, the Rareware website offers a bunch of bonus tracks as free downloads which adds a lot more content.

Highly recommended.

Cheers Panthera for the heads-up on the bonus cues for Kameo. An additional 30 minutes from Steve Burke is great news.

If anyone knows of other examples of additional tracks (that add to CD releases) that are available at game sites then share the news...

Rareware has bonus mp3's for a lot of their games. You should check them out. Some of the games have had CD releases.

I might have some really good news for you smile Rare has released 3 medleys of Steve Burke's Kameo music on the same website. It adds up to over an hour of new music! I found them thanks to the new www.scorenotes.com interview.

http://rareware.com/games/kameo/downloads.html

Quoting from Steve Burke:

These three Kameo MP3 medley tracks contain some music used in the game as well as music that didn't make it into the final version. Some tracks were written for promotional videos, internal demos at Rare, early versions of the game, alternate versions of the theme tune, and others for a bit of fun. In total there is around 1hr 15mins of music in these three MP3s.
  9. I recently discovered another good soundtrack composed for an online role-playing game called Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures. I've listened to it 3 times and as with everything for me after 3 times it really started to click and I find it a truly enjoyable score. With stunning vocal work and heroic themes and even interesting filler tracks, which is somewhat of a rare thing in game soundtracks. It plays like a film score and is something I will return to on a frequent basis.

I like how game scores really are becoming as important as film scores, they put enormous amounts of effort into them for the people to hear them in and out of the game. And if they're performed by huge orchestras and with capable composers behind them who really feel inspired by the material, I fail to see how this artform would stay forever in the shadows of movie soundtracks. Games are getting bigger and bigger, so is the music composed for them.

Thanks to Bregt for reviewing a high profile soundtrack (Alone in the Dark), sounds interesting because the same music has been used for the trailers for the game. Will give this a listen whenever I can.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008
    You can now download the COMPLETE score to Splinter Cell Double Agent over at Michael McCann's site (240mb!!).

http://www.behaviormusic.com/artists/mi … /music.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    You can now download the COMPLETE score to Splinter Cell Double Agent over at Michael McCann's site (240mb!!).

http://www.behaviormusic.com/artists/mi … /music.htm

rolleyes
    Very Bourne-ish (not close to be that good obviously). Powell should start to charge royalties, he´d get rich.