• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2007
    Panthera wrote
    Kameo Elements of Power has an amazing score that could easily be mistaken for a film score.

Excuse me if i misunderstood here, but if you're implying that game scores are of inferior quality to film scores, then you're way off there, my friend.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2007
    I think there's a growing trend here: the quality and quantity of game scores have greatly improved over the last decade, while film scores do seem to be ever-so-slightly declining in terms of quality.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Does anyone else like GUN by Christopher Lennertz?

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Matt C wrote
    I think there's a growing trend here: the quality and quantity of game scores have greatly improved over the last decade, while film scores do seem to be ever-so-slightly declining in terms of quality.

I would agree with that without hesitation. But there's still a gigantic gap between them (or the best of them, anyway).
  1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    The Dig by Michael Land: A wagnerian and synthetic score creating a great another world sense.
    the Video Game is a masterpiece!

NOT!

This is one score that I just can't see what all the fuss is about! A lot of people have great things to say about it - so I must be wrong!!

Shenmue Orchestra version holds a few nods to famous film music, but is also incredibly beautiful at times. One track notably is a direct tribute to Goldsmith's First Knight: you'll know exactly which track I mean. It hits you right between the eyes!!

Everquest II by Laura Karpman is another great example of sweeping orchestral themes in the tradition of fantasy films. Check it out, it might surprise you!

Headhunter by Richard Jacques is a cool and uniquely sounding album which holds it own, with enough bold themes and interesting mixtures of synth and orchestral writing.

These are only some of the good to excellent video games scores, but there are many more.

Definitely. some worthy scores here. Shenmue is a wonderful listen.

I must agree with my brother, The Dig is a terrific ambient affair and it lets you dream into the world itself. It may not be orchestral and grand but the effect is simply stellar

As for the other mentioned scores, there is so much to discover in stuff like Headhunter, Kameo, oh basically so many video game scores are beautiful. You just can't pick anymore wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    LSH wrote

punk

Sure!
    One of the best game scores I´ve heard. Action packed score by Lennertz; damn, I could be playing "Welcome Commitee" all day long punk
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Marselus wrote
    LSH wrote

punk

Sure!
    One of the best game scores I´ve heard. Action packed score by Lennertz; damn, I could be playing "Welcome Commitee" all day long punk

Gun is a fun good score, I made my own version of it and reviewed it on my old site wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    LSH wrote

punk

Hell. Yes. cool
  3. I played the very first Harry Potter game when it came out, score by Jeremy Soule. Although I really missed Williams´ score for the first, well five minutes, Soule managed to come up with a totally fine sonic atmosphere of his own. I loved playing the game, running through Hogwarts, with Soule´s score accompanying my adventures. You can get them all on iTunes, I beleive.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    I remember liking Soule's score for the video game of HP 1 very much, before I got smitten with Williams's score. It was in the vein of Williams and very pleasant to hear. I haven't played the other games yet but I bet they're just as good.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2007
    Christodoulides wrote
    Panthera wrote
    Kameo Elements of Power has an amazing score that could easily be mistaken for a film score.

Excuse me if i misunderstood here, but if you're implying that game scores are of inferior quality to film scores, then you're way off there, my friend.

Just emphasizing the quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I played the very first Harry Potter game when it came out, score by Jeremy Soule. Although I really missed Williams´ score for the first, well five minutes, Soule managed to come up with a totally fine sonic atmosphere of his own. I loved playing the game, running through Hogwarts, with Soule´s score accompanying my adventures. You can get them all on iTunes, I beleive.

Absolutely! My favourite one is Soule's score to Goblet of fire. Amazing chorals in the action sequences, especially during the first task and battle with Voldemort.

BTW I also loved the new Halo 3 Score! It's so good to hear Halo 1's synthesized cues being performed by a real orchestra!!
  4. Hell yeah I think Halo 3, both the game and soundtrack are great. I also like Marty O'Donnell's style of writing, he uses layers of synthesized stuff that are either melodic or rhythmic or whatever, and he adds an orchestra or choir at just the right moment. His style is unique, very atmospheric, but also enjoyably thematic and I think Halo 3 has the best rendition of the already glorious Halo theme: when the new ring is discovered it's an epic moment. The ablum is definitely worthy of purchase.

Greatest thing Soule did for me was Total Annihilation, that demo cue for Amen: the Awakening (the game was cancelled long time ago) and some pieces from Icewind Dale and The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. The guy has IMHO the most amazing talent to write completely bland filler music in most, if not all of his scores. But seeing the number of games this dude writes for, I guess you can call it creative composer's block or something like that... Prey has a very nice overture as well co-composed by Julian Soule.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007
    Christodoulides wrote
    Panthera wrote

I think perhaps Panthera is implying that games themselves are inferior to films, not game music. (Or at least the use and importance of music within games is inferior to its use in films.)

I still think a film score has more worth (in terms of how it is perceived rather than the music itself I hasten to emphasize) simply because of the way it is used within a film. Game's can never reach the emotional power of, say, a film like Schindler's List IMO (a debate I've had many a time with my flatmate believe it or not! rolleyes slant ). Look at it this way: Imagine they made a game of Schindler's List (a disturbing thought I know, but rather pertinent to my point) while keeping John Williams' score. The music just wouldn't be as powerful in the game than it is in the film.

I'm not much of a game fan, so my point of view is somewhat biased anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I can agree. Though many games try to be more then just that. I remember Max Payne had a sad storyline (okay, yeha, h then shot everyone) but somehow, with all the sad dialogue and dark jazz music, it was not the usual emotion when playing a game.

I'm sure many games from Japan are much heavier than we can imagine. Those are very storyline driven.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregt wrote
    I remember Max Payne had a sad storyline (okay, yeha, h then shot everyone) but somehow, with all the sad dialogue and dark jazz music, it was not the usual emotion when playing a game.

Sure, Max Payne is a master piece and already a classic in the video games world. From the storyline to the charisma of the characters, not to forget the score, with a great main theme. One of the few games that (even you have to shoot everybody and everything) make you feel something special as you play it and once you´ve finished it.
    And the main theme was given an arrangement even better in Max Payne 2 (sadly this second part didn´t reach the first one though).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'll admit there have been some great uses of music in games, but when it comes to emotional impact, music is better served within a film. (Among many other reasons.)

It's quite an interesting debate; can a game ever reach the emotional impact that a film can? I personally don't think it's possible. And if it is, the game would have to rely on cut-scenes (or cinematic scenes or whatever they're called?) to get that emotion across. Which, in itself, is a film!

I thought it quite a silly and pointless debate until I found out that some serious gamers believe games can be of much worth in terms of story, characters and emotions as any film can prove to be!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007 edited
    I believe it will happen somewhere in time. Games will be important story tellers and create emotions for the people that are playing them, like it would be in cinema. It only needs more time and I'm looking forward to the first game that lets someone cry of sadness.
    Kazoo
  5. Steven wrote
    Game's can never reach the emotional power of, say, a film (...)

Wow, when I read that, Max Payne was the game that sprang immediately into my mind, too. I never before and after encountered a game that got a grip on my emotions like MP did. A real masterpiece, I guess, with all of us remembering it individually. I played it through twice, which never happened with a game before, and I´m tempted for weeks now to give it a third shot.
  6. Don't underestimate the power of videogames. It's truly wonderful how the business has matured over the years. I've witnessed the birth (or nearly, as I began gaming during the late eighties), and the kiddie games that simply rely on reflexes and timing are long gone. Games of today allow the player to have to make hard choices, and choose their own level of immersion, depending on the storyline or how the characters are portrayed. It's not about senseless violence anymore (well sometimes it is)...

I dare you to play Metal Gear Solid 3, and not be an emotional wreck during the final scenes, because that game has wonderful direction, with solid (pun intended) character development. Not everything that happens in the game is logical or realistic, but so are fantasy films. If you can allow yourself to have an open mind, and be immersed in the game world it's possible to react on an emotional level to the happenings on screen. Some of the Final Fantasy games also meet that level of involvement.

Not to stray completely off topic here, but the music in games can make or break your sense of immersion. Max Payne, as previously stated has that melancholy mood, with music to match, but the story is told in original fashion as well, like a comic book with strong characters. I find the whole theme of the cop going on a bloodbath after his wife and baby are killed, and the way it's presented in that game, very emotionally involving, and it beats the second game hands down.

Another great example is Shadows of the Colossus, with its haunting music and exceptional art design. That whole game is trying to play your heartstrings, and with success. And there's not even a whole lot of dialogue or character progression in the game. It's solely expressed with images, music and fantastic revolutionary gameplay. But the underlying theme is, you have to fight to save your loved one from the dead (hint at Reign over Me, tommy_boy wave ), and it's what gets you really into the game and its brilliantly conceived world, so when you reach the end of the journey you also reach a level of sadness I compare with any good emotional movie.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    Don't underestimate the power of videogames. It's truly wonderful how the business has matured over the years. I've witnessed the birth (or nearly, as I began gaming during the late eighties), and the kiddie games that simply rely on reflexes and timing are long gone. Games of today allow the player to have to make hard choices, and choose their own level of immersion, depending on the storyline or how the characters are portrayed. It's not about senseless violence anymore (well sometimes it is)...

I dare you to play Metal Gear Solid 3, and not be an emotional wreck during the final scenes, because that game has wonderful direction, with solid (pun intended) character development. Not everything that happens in the game is logical or realistic, but so are fantasy films. If you can allow yourself to have an open mind, and be immersed in the game world it's possible to react on an emotional level to the happenings on screen. Some of the Final Fantasy games also meet that level of involvement.

Not to stray completely off topic here, but the music in games can make or break your sense of immersion. Max Payne, as previously stated has that melancholy mood, with music to match, but the story is told in original fashion as well, like a comic book with strong characters. I find the whole theme of the cop going on a bloodbath after his wife and baby are killed, and the way it's presented in that game, very emotionally involving, and it beats the second game hands down.

Another great example is Shadows of the Colossus, with its haunting music and exceptional art design. That whole game is trying to play your heartstrings, and with success. And there's not even a whole lot of dialogue or character progression in the game. It's solely expressed with images, music and fantastic revolutionary gameplay. But the underlying theme is, you have to fight to save your loved one from the dead (hint at Reign over Me, tommy_boy wave ), and it's what gets you really into the game and its brilliantly conceived world, so when you reach the end of the journey you also reach a level of sadness I compare with any good emotional movie.

Yep that's my brother smile
    Attack video games and you'll gonna get it wink

Simply put, whoever says games can't make you feel obviously lost a large part of the maturing game franchise. Resident Evil scares you to death, MOH/ Call of Duty exhilerates you and Prince of Egypt makes you wonder how well put a simple game can be. And then I'm not even talking about the games I don't like that much but still have the highest appreciate for (Metal Gear Solid, Halo, and so many others ...)

There will be a time video games are as big as movies, watch my words.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Still, can a game ever reach the dizzying heights of power and emotion that, as I will keep repeating, Schindler's List reaches? If it did, then it surely couldn't be called a game, because the term 'game' implies recreation... and SL is not a recreational story.

Apples and oranges really, but my point is that to tell a story first and foremost, making a film (in terms of visual and audio mediums go) is the best way to do it. A game, first and foremost, is made to entertain. Right?

Perhaps when gaming reaches the level of holodecks will they truly surpass a film... that's the only way I could imagine games achieving such emotion. But, then is it really a game?

Gaming nerds seem to take these, um, observations (?) as an attack on their gaming world. It's not, I'm simply implying what games can't be, not that they're worthless.

(It doesn't help that I personally can never get emotionally involved in a game, particularly with Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3... I just wanted to play the bloody game, not watch endless -clichéd- cinematic scenes! rolleyes )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Tommy_Boy wrote

There will be a time video games are as big as movies, watch my words.

Well, in terms of economics, games are bigger than movies already. Have been for quite a while.
  8. Steven wrote
    Still, can a game ever reach the dizzying heights of power and emotion that, as I will keep repeating, Schindler's List reaches? If it did, then it surely couldn't be called a game, because the term 'game' implies recreation... and SL is not a recreational story.

Apples and oranges really, but my point is that to tell a story first and foremost, making a film (in terms of visual and audio mediums go) is the best way to do it. A game, first and foremost, is made to entertain. Right?

Perhaps when gaming reaches the level of holodecks will they truly surpass a film... that's the only way I could imagine games achieving such emotion. But, then is it really a game?

Gaming nerds seem to take these, um, observations (?) as an attack on their gaming world. It's not, I'm simply implying what games can't be, not that they're worthless.

(It doesn't help that I personally can never get emotionally involved in a game, particularly with Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3... I just wanted to play the bloody game, not watch endless -clichéd- cinematic scenes! rolleyes )

haha, now I'm a gaming nerd wink

I understand what you're talking about. there's still a distinct line between emotion through a movie or game. But its the basic fact that more and more games are relying on cutscenes and from there on comes the emotion.

And I think playing Schindler's List isn't so appealing to me as a game I might add tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can say nerd because we're all nerds here... or geeks. It's a good thing. wink

And that is exactly my point, a game of Schindler's List wouldn't be very appealing because it wouldn't be entertaining, which is the primary objective of a game.

Again, I will repeat, I'm not trying to take anything away from games, I'm just making a valid point about the nature of gaming in respect to films. They're two different mediums with different 'strengths' and 'weaknesses'
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    I can say nerd because we're all nerds here... or geeks. It's a good thing. wink

I'll take the "nerd" tag, if you don't mind. In Norway, "geek" has far more negative connotations. Over here, it's possible to be a nerd and a social creature at the same time, which I reckon myself to be.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Steven wrote
    Game's can never reach the emotional power of, say, a film (...)

Wow, when I read that, Max Payne was the game that sprang immediately into my mind, too. I never before and after encountered a game that got a grip on my emotions like MP did. A real masterpiece, I guess, with all of us remembering it individually. I played it through twice, which never happened with a game before, and I´m tempted for weeks now to give it a third shot.

Totally agree. I´ve played it plenty of times and it never looses the emotion of the first time. A true masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

I'll take the "nerd" tag, if you don't mind. In Norway, "geek" has far more negative connotations. Over here, it's possible to be a nerd and a social creature at the same time, which I reckon myself to be.

Here it's the other way round, "geeks" can be 'cool' while "nerds" cannot! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007 edited
    Geeks are people with lots and lots of knowledge and interest in a specific subject and nowadays, it is considered by many as a "cool feature". On the other side, nerds are people who usually have no life other than that single subject, spend the vast majority of their days, weeks, months and years on it and are stereotyped as this .
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Strange how it differs, eh?
    I am extremely serious.