• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I read up on the stories, so I already know who Vamp is, where do the BB corps names (who was Sniper Wolf, who was Psycho Mantis and things like that) come from. And of course, who Big Boss and Liquid are. I've read about FOXHOUND, FOXDIE and things like that.

Amazing thing. And the world is related to the real world as well. I love the anti-war stance of at least Guns of the Patriot. The histories of the BB corps girls, the fact that you have to sneak in the middle of a war between a rebellion and the Private Military Corporations (first game/cultural phenomenon to *refer* to the problem of private armies, I think?), passing references to war economy and child soldiers... It's amazing.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. yeah

Dude, I wholeheartedly agree! Metal Gear Solid is amazing on so many levels. That's why I'm a fan, and people who can't put themselves in that complex story / universe will never be fans, and they'll never get the little touches Hideo has put into it. The guy's a genius in my book.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010
    Can anyone commend on these 2?:

GOD OF WAR: GHOST OF SPARTA - Gerard Marino and Mike Regan etc.
    COMMAND AND CONQUER 4: TIBERIAN TWILIGHT - James Hannigan/Jason Graves/Timothy Wyn
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Not only yours. I know at least 4 fans of Kojima, one guy being the one who borrowed me Guns of the Patriots, my brother was amazed. my dad loves looking at me playing when he can. Another guy I am discussing the games with also recommended me other games, but as a PS3 owner I can't play games for PS2 which is specifically stated on the box of my console.

And another guy is Harry Gregson-Williams. He always stated that he did three games only because of his love for Kojima. Though the love didn't start with the game. The story goes that Kojima received once a promo of HGW's music which he sent to HGW when he asked him to score it.

And Gregson-Williams was shocked, because really all the tracks were by him and the joke is that they had to do a REALLY extensive piece of research, because for most of them he wasn't specifically credited. So he jumped in to score the cinematics.

Another question is. Do you always feel sorry for the bosses you kill? (Maybe except Liquid for now!)
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Can anyone commend on these 2?:

GOD OF WAR: GHOST OF SPARTA - Gerard Marino and Mike Regan etc.
    COMMAND AND CONQUER 4: TIBERIAN TWILIGHT - James Hannigan/Jason Graves/Timothy Wyn

God of War: Ghost of Sparta I would give a miss, hardly anything thematic or thematic statements from the other GOW games. Instantly forgettable.

C&C 4 I haven't heard but James Hannigan should be reason to check it out.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    Not only yours. I know at least 4 fans of Kojima, one guy being the one who borrowed me Guns of the Patriots, my brother was amazed. my dad loves looking at me playing when he can. Another guy I am discussing the games with also recommended me other games, but as a PS3 owner I can't play games for PS2 which is specifically stated on the box of my console.

I don't have anyone in my immediate family that's into MGS. Can I come live with you? smile

And the first batch of PS3 consoles had PS2 emulation built-in. I recently had to buy a slim because my launch machine died on me. Luckily I kept my trusty PS2.

And another guy is Harry Gregson-Williams. He always stated that he did three games only because of his love for Kojima. Though the love didn't start with the game. The story goes that Kojima received once a promo of HGW's music which he sent to HGW when he asked him to score it.

And Gregson-Williams was shocked, because really all the tracks were by him and the joke is that they had to do a REALLY extensive piece of research, because for most of them he wasn't specifically credited. So he jumped in to score the cinematics.

That's cool to know, I just love the main theme arrangement Harry did for MGS2. I think I watched that intro more times than anything else back in the day.

Another question is. Do you always feel sorry for the bosses you kill? (Maybe except Liquid for now!)

It depends on how evil they are. Like the main boss of MGS2, Solidus Snake isn't just someone you can hate, as he is the rejected brother of Solid and Liquid with his own motives. There's actually more going on on a deeper level, if you follow the storylines.

But Volgin in MGS3... that guy was just insane. Putting him down was satisfactory, especially the whole battle leading up to his demise is nonstop action. punk

Haha I love talking about MGS on a soundtrack board. Makes me look like quite the geek. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010
    Thanks.
  6. Graves is a great atonal voice as well, he wrote a very harsh and amazing score to Dead Space.
  7. Dead Space : amazing game with fantastic sound design, but I hated the score itself. Sorry it works to create a creepy atmosphere but I could never listen to it outside of the game. I think I actually felt a headache coming up when I last heard it.

But I liked Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific. Very different from Dead Space.
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Not only yours. I know at least 4 fans of Kojima, one guy being the one who borrowed me Guns of the Patriots, my brother was amazed. my dad loves looking at me playing when he can. Another guy I am discussing the games with also recommended me other games, but as a PS3 owner I can't play games for PS2 which is specifically stated on the box of my console.

I don't have anyone in my immediate family that's into MGS. Can I come live with you? smile

And the first batch of PS3 consoles had PS2 emulation built-in. I recently had to buy a slim because my launch machine died on me. Luckily I kept my trusty PS2.

That's cool to know, I just love the main theme arrangement Harry did for MGS2. I think I watched that intro more times than anything else back in the day.

It depends on how evil they are. Like the main boss of MGS2, Solidus Snake isn't just someone you can hate, as he is the rejected brother of Solid and Liquid with his own motives. There's actually more going on on a deeper level, if you follow the storylines.

But Volgin in MGS3... that guy was just insane. Putting him down was satisfactory, especially the whole battle leading up to his demise is nonstop action. punk

Haha I love talking about MGS on a soundtrack board. Makes me look like quite the geek. cool

My brother thought that MGS4 is too hard for me (granted, I am not an amazing gamer, especially in shooters, if Modern Warfare 2 is supposed to take 6 hours of play, it took me 10, 3 of which spent in the favela missions), but right now.

Well, I'm already on Screaming Mantis and I just learnt how to get rid of the Mantis and Sorrow dolls. Amazing idea.

The cinematic where a wolf takes the body of Crying Wolf is very touching. A typical HGW elegy to that adds. Great restrained little scene. Little details is a masterpiece. The scene where a guys tells Mei Ling he's scared and she says that Missouri is coming back in one piece, reassuring him and later - when he goes - gives a sigh ("If I only believed in it myself...") was just amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010
    Free Download - Exclusive video game soundtrack sampler from SumthingElse music works.

Including music from HALO, HITMAN, FABLE, DARKSIDER,S GEARS OF WAR, MASS EFFECT, RESIDENT EVIL: UMBRELLA CHRONICLES and others.

http://www.shockhound.com/albums/733749 … ck-sampler
  9. That way too cool! Mass Effect comes recommended by the way, some good tunes there, especially if you like Tron Legacy.

Alan Wake should be something for you Demetris, high on the ambience, check out the cue 'Welcome to Bright Falls' which is more melodic by the way.

And Gears of War and Finish the Fight, well that is just punk
  10. PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, I'm already on Screaming Mantis and I just learnt how to get rid of the Mantis and Sorrow dolls. Amazing idea.

The cinematic where a wolf takes the body of Crying Wolf is very touching. A typical HGW elegy to that adds. Great restrained little scene. Little details is a masterpiece. The scene where a guys tells Mei Ling he's scared and she says that Missouri is coming back in one piece, reassuring him and later - when he goes - gives a sigh ("If I only believed in it myself...") was just amazing.

I had to look it up on gamefaqs for the Screaming Mantis battle. But yeah, amazing when you think about it.

The whole ending is basically an emotional rollercoaster with all the major MGS characters getting a chance to shine. I was even more stunned the second time through.

What did you think of the long cutscenes Pawel? some people hate them with a passion, I actually love watching the game for more than an hour, because the way it's edited and put together is brilliant. And because it's all relevant to the story.

A great ending to the saga, in all honesty. beer
  11. Here's another I find an extremely cool listen for a western game, just don't expect big Morricone style anthems, I like the sound of it nevertheless.

Theme from Red Dead Redemption by Bill Elm and Woody Jackson.
  12. The cutscenes are better than 99% of what Hollywood makes today. Sure, there is a sense of pathos there, but there is also some wonderful restraint, where Hollywood would pull all stops. The Beauty and the Beast cutscenes are pretty cool, though not that long ("What a riot... People suffering... People hurting... People dying... It's all so fucking hysterical! Laugh! Laugh with me!", and don't get me about their introduction, not only one of the best in-context pieces in Harry Gregson-Williams's career, but also the way they behaved, even now when I see a cawing bird I go "RAGE! SHOW ME YOUR RAGE!" biggrin ) and a particularly touching one was the one with the wolf. A simple yet full of emotion and tragism.

As for now my favorite cutscene must be the one at the end of Act III on the river, where Meryl tries to get Liquid but by a single gesture of his is suddenly unable to use her weapons. Shooting the helicopters down and of course, before that - the death of Big Mama. This right now is the best cutscene I've seen.

I was also insanely sad to see Naomi die, I don't know what exactly she was up to (why would she get back to Liquid? For Snake to kill Vamp and for that Metal Gear REX/RAY showdown?) A character I love in a particular way (possibly relate to a lot) is Sunny. The chemistry between her and Naomi was just wonderful. Sunny of course is another of the anti-war points of the game I think, she is *also* a victim. The way she opens up to Naomi (her facial expressions and the subtlety is one of the best points of the animation).

Don't also make me talk about the Raiden/Vamp fight in Act Two. First, the slicing of the Gekkos (and the biggest shock, they are BLEEDING?), then a wonderful fight action scene reminding me of the best Hollywood cinematography in years. Same for the Act V briefing. I am in love with Mei Ling's behavior there (the sigh, THE SIGH! I always love subtle touches like that in movies and they did it perfectly here)

Not that every point of humor is quite amazing to me. Akiba farting for the next 2 hours wears out after 5 minutes in act one (he redeems himself by saving Snake and later Meryl of course), belching Drebin also gets overdone (I do love the monkey though! Especially with the cigarettes!). A very nice and funny touch is that everytime in the cutscenes Snake is disallowed to smoke, his psyche gets down a whole point. It doesn't influence the gaming experience (it doesn't lower his psyche below sensible levels), but gets very funny.

The way to influence the cinematics on your own (and in that way making yoru own movie in a way) is great. The L1 button to show Snake's POV and the X one to induce flashbacks. Very neat. Have you ever pushed the up arrow to make a close-up though?
  13. Cool post. punk I thought I was a big fan. And no, I didn't know about the up-arrow. Guess I'll have to play the game again. beer

I'm currently in Snake Eater just before the big showdown with The Boss and the long emotional epilogue after the battle, a few more hours.

By the way, Pawel if you ever manage to find this on the web, you know MGS3: Subsistence has a cool extra disc containing the game in movie format. Kojima practically condensed everything from plot points to codec transmissions and the overall narrative to allow for a 3 and a half our film about everything that goes on in Snake Eater, and the major kick-ass cutscenes are all present. I'm sure it's somewhere on the net. I've done a recording when Subsistence came out, directly from that disc and put everything on DVD-video format, in five separate chapters. I showed it to my brother once, but he had a hard time following the story, as he is not really a MGS fan. But it will definitely be something for you because you can't play the game yourself. If not, maybe I can find a way to capture it and upload the film. I'll see what I can do. I have two weeks of free time coming up. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010
    You guys are making me really curious talking about these games...I have absolutely no experience with them...if I wanted to get into them where would I start? Do I have to start at the first game to understand the story?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010 edited
    Start out with the very first MGS (1998) on the PSone or the 2004 remake on GameCube (which I prefer because of the added mechanics from MGS2 and cooler cutscenes). But that's personal taste really.

Then MGS2: Sons of Liberty (2001) or the later release MGS2: Substance (both PS2)

Then comes MGS3: Snake Eater (2005) or its later release MGS3: Subsistence (both PS2) but this is actually a prequel of MGS1

To end it, MGS4: Guns of the Patriots (2008) on PS3. No later release.

That way you'll most enjoy how the storyline pans out, and get all the details and touches the developers put in them and won't be annoyed by game features that are only in the future installments if you work your way back.

But be warned. Half of the time you'll be watching the game, not playing it. But that's all part of the charm of this series IMO. And I love it that way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'd rather watch the game than play it anyway...FPS are not my favorite kind of games unless they're competitive multi-player.

I don't have a Playstation at the moment so I guess I'll have to wait a while...
  14. Correction it's not an FPS, it's a (here we go) Third-person tactical shoot-em-up dash stealth action game. You see everything from either a topdown view for the first two and Snake Eater, or rotatable camera viewpoint (from MGS3 Subsistence onward).
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I guess I meant I don't like single player action games that much unless they have a good story.
  15. Matt, trust me. It HAS a great story.
  16. I concur. One of the greatest and deepest stories ever told in videogame land. But you have to keep a somewhat open mind about it, and not be afraid to listen to endless mumbo-jumbo at specific times.
  17. Or the sounds of a character farting and having diarrhoea for a lengthy period of time wink
  18. biggrin

Only in part 4...

But all the games have a serious overload of Snake repeating the last few words whenever a character says something important. It's something you'll get quickly used to, but it's very noticeable all the same.

And Snake groans a lot too. All Dave Hayter's doing. He's the Watchmen and X-Men screenwriter btw.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010 edited
    You'll love this DT wink

16 Movie Stars You Didn't Know Appeared In Games
    We've come a long way from Pong

http://www.empireonline.com/features/mo … deo-games/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010
    Have you noticed how similar the characters look to the actors in most of the cases? biggrin
  19. Ha I know about them. I've controlled most of these bits and bytes myself at one time.

And isn't it funny the actors never resemble their virtual characters except this monstrous guy? freezing
  20. Christodoulides wrote
    Have you noticed how similar the characters look to the actors in most of the cases? biggrin

Ehm, if you use your imagination maybe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010
    Oh come on, don't be harsh. Look at this man!