• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010 edited
    But Jack Black's is pretty spot-on, same grin and everything.

Edit: Haha you beat me to it. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010
    And this one here, it's him with no hair wink http://www.empireonline.com/features/mo … o-games/p8
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Wicked looking and sounding trailer for upcoming blockbuster PC game, one I am looking forward to! Pay attention to the music by Michael McCann, it's become one of my favourite tracks of the year.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Wow!!! Stunning main theme featured in the trailer for the upcoming new RPG in the long running series The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. And cool to hear Max Von Sydow's voice adding some weight.

If this is a taste of what Jeremy Soule will be doing for the new game, we'll be in for a treat!!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2010
    So many things to recommend for this thread...

And I'm going to start out with one that's not really relevant. Everyone should hear Eminence Symphony's "Promises." It's full symphonic arrangements (as well as some piano solos) from the works of Japanese composer Tenmon. Very beautiful, saccharine and sometimes bittersweet with strong themes.

And this recommendation isn't quite relevant because nothing about it is video gamey--it's all from different Japanese films, I think. BUT the connection is that Eminence Symphony also does things like A Night in Fantasia, symphonic rearrangements of classic video game tracks. So it's not completely disconnected. smile
  3. I know of the Eminence Symphony orchestra. They also worked on the Blizzard games compilation, which features some stunning renditions from the Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo music.

Thanks for that Night in Fantasia link. Gears of War 2 and Shadow of the Colossus symphonic sound interesting enough, especially as the original music isn't orchestrated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011 edited
    Let me just revive this myself with a very cool discovery I made:

From the aerial dogfight videogame ACE COMBAT: ASSAULT HORIZON.

Check out this track. Composed by Keiki Kobayashi. It's the main theme and it sounds very addictive.

Then listen to this track. Composed by Keiki Kobayashi, vocal by Katya N. It's a sort of russian-inspired hymn and the sad voice coupled with the choir turns it into something beautiful.

Then go and have a listen to this finale cue. Composed by Keiki Kobayashi. Awesome in every sense of the word.

If you happen to like these 3 tracks, I strongly urge to go check out the rest of the soundtrack. But I recommend you just focus on the tracks by Keiki Kobayashi and skip the other composer's stuff (which is very much ambient and rock-inspired stuff). I've listened to it a few times already and its powerful action rhythms are extremely cool and the themes turn out to be very memorable, though a tad simplistic, but that does not bother me in the slightest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011 edited
    Fires of liberation was the awesome score
    (did you hear that?) , i remember not liking the new one....i might give it another try then beer
  4. Yep I know of Fires of Liberation but I didn't like it nearly as much as Assault Horizon. Just listen to the Kobayashi tracks.

Ace combat V before that also has some very worthwile music. This for example.

Kobayashi rocks!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2011
    Akiko Shikata - Hana Ki Sou - Symphonic Orchestra

Performed by Moscow Symphonic Orchestra
    Conducted by Konstantin Krimets

Some of the best music I've ever heard, play it loud!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAh2qha_ … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdn2SIxy … re=related
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2012
    Can anyone suggest game scores that sound like Oscar Araujo's "Castlevania: Lords of Shadow"? Particularly the inclusion of full orchestra and heavy use of choir?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. Outcast
    God of War I, II and III
    World of Warcraft series

These don't sound like Castlevania musically, but the blend of orchestra and choir is a potent one in all of those. Epic is how I would describe them, so is Castlevania: LOS.

Small Soldiers: The Videogame (Giacchino) is probably one of the most fun times you can have, because the awesome as fuck themes and choral moments make me smile more a couple of times on each listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012
    God of War 1 and 2 and the World of Warcrafts are the only ones I don't have.
    I don't like Small Soldiers because I listened to it at a very disturbing time of my life sad
  6. The thing with World of Warcraft is, of each soundtrack there's about one long cue (a sort of orchestral overture) that is mindblowingly fantastic, after that the quality drops with boring ambient tracks.

Check this out. punk

And if you can find Laura Karpman's 'Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom' (the gamerip, as no official release exists) I totally recommend it, the melodies and chorals in that one are haunting and impressive.
  7. Some cues available on Laura's homepage. This woman has talent, that much is certain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012
    Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012 edited
    I recently bought Crysis 2. Not a bad deal for a couple of Zimmer theme's for 4 bucks. The other stuff is decent too.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/crysis … d424480906

Starcraft 2 is very enjoyable too:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/starcr … d380412701
    •  
      CommentAuthorSirCaledor
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012
    Check out my review of Skyrim by Jeremy Soule, a highly recommended score!

http://www.gsoundtracks.com/reviews/skyrim.htm

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012
    SirCaledor wrote
    Check out my review of Skyrim by Jeremy Soule, a highly recommended score!

http://www.gsoundtracks.com/reviews/skyrim.htm

smile

Love it!
  8. I just listened to this rousing piece of work again, and I have to use this board as a means to get the word out that, if you are a fan of big bold orchestral music you should order this soon, if financially possible.

SYMPHONIC FANTASIES TOKYO

Take it from me: this is glorious, grand, and symphonic greatness, featuring all the bells and whistles that can be found in the most glorious concert recordings. Now if you consider that most of the tunes in those long suites originated as simple synthesized melodies (midi) you may think this music sounds incredibly cheesy. This couldn't be farther from the truth, just listen to the clips and let me recommend this album with a clear conscience. It's a fantastic recording full of memorable themes, choral highlights, but also intimate moments, just a brilliant package that has a bit of everything.

If you're into that sort of thing, as I am, you will not be disappointed. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2012
    Looks interesting Gilles, I'll give it a listen later.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJoshL
    I may be going to this at the end of the month: http://blogs.pittsburghsymphony.org/201 … einz-hall/
    Which would be great, because I missed the Final Fantasy: Distant Worlds show this spring. Sold out in hours. I did catch the Video Games Live tour a few years back. My major disappointment with that was, in fact, the Zelda suite which leaned way too heavily on the Overworld theme. Zelda has had a lot of fantastic music, and I do love the Overworld theme, but I wanted more. The performance of Vampire Killer in the Castlevania suite made up for it. And as overplayed as it is, One Winged Angel (FF7) is an astoundingly powerful piece live.
  9. I have the Video Games Live concert on blu-ray and it's a blast. Fun all the way and some great music, and very talented performers. I don't think they'll ever do a show in that miniscule country I live in.

One Winged Angel is some serious shit punk

On that note I would like to recommend the Distant Worlds album too. Check out the 12 minute mini-opera. love
    • CommentAuthorJoshL
    Oh, yeah, the Distant Worlds album is awesome! And the opera scene has always been one of my favorite scenes in FFVI (which, incidentally, is my favorite FF). I haven't picked up the second album yet, though there's some great stuff on there.

If I end up missing the Zelda symphony, hopefully they'll record and release that too. The official site is pretty sparse right now.
  10. Distant Worlds II isn't as consistently great as the first album. The songs (and their vocals) are an acquired taste, but it holds some worthy cues they couldn't fit on the first.
  11. you sure know your game music dude smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  12. What else is there, when film music is going down the toilet...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Do you think game scores give more freedom of expression to composers? I'm continually impressed by a lot of what I hear.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJoshL
    Timmer wrote
    Do you think game scores give more freedom of expression to composers? I'm continually impressed by a lot of what I hear.

Absolutely more freedom of expression, but on the other hand, the delicate art of shifting with the picture is lost (cut scene music obviously an exception). Because of the freedom of action, sync usually just happens in a general sense (even with dynamic game scores, where the music changes with game actions, it's only synced to a degree). So you have a lot more freedom to write a piece of music that is enjoyable to listen to independent of the gameplay. Whereas I'm sure we can all think of scores that fit a film PERFECTLY, but aren't as rewarding to listen to on their own.

As a composer, I sometimes consider trying to get into games (because I love them), but personally I'm not sure it would be as rewarding. Who knows, maybe I'd like it. But the art of when to sync and when not to, how to flow from one emotion to the next, that's a big part of why I love it!

Anyway, yeah, some great music being done for games these days smile And I'm old school enough to even like some straight up NES chiptunes (Journey to Silius is one of my favorites)
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2012 edited
    My games score collection is getting bigger too.

My latest additions are Crysis 2 (Zimmer themes) and Tribes:Ascend.

Some game soundracks you can grab for a couple of bucks on itunes.