• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007
    Christodoulides wrote
    Geeks are people with lots and lots of knowledge and interest in a specific subject and nowadays, it is considered by many as a "cool feature". On the other side, nerds are people who usually have no life other than that single subject, spend the vast majority of their days, weeks, months and years on it and are stereotyped as this .

Spot on! biggrin
  1. ahh, the typical nerd look, dorky face and always, I say always there must be glasses cool
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Well I already have the glasses, so I guess I must be classified as a nerd then dizzy .

But hey, aren't we all nerds in some way, we like film music for chrissakes!!! Not something that's universally known as being cool!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's what I said if you read the previous page. wink

Demetris is right though, we're geeks, not nerds. Nerds are just need to get a life... they also need to take a little more pride in their appearance! (*cough* my brother *cough* rolleyes )
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Demetris is right though, we're geeks, not nerds. Nerds are just need to get a life... they also need to take a little more pride in their appearance! (*cough* my brother *cough* rolleyes )

Well, perhaps in Greece and England. But in Norway, I would much rather be characterized as a nerd than a geek. Nerds have social lives, like to party and hang out (in addition to their devoted interest of some kind) while geeks just sit around the house in front of the computer screen all day long.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Professor Frink: To me, "nerd" stands for Not Even Remotely Dorky. So thank you. Thank you for the compliment.
    *)

*) from The Simpsons episode "Eternal Moonshine Of The Simpson Mind" ... wa-HEY! I just quoted a Simpsons episode. Is that dorky or WHAT! cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well, it would appear the Norwegians have reversed their meanings! dizzy (At least their meanings within modern Western culture.)
  3. Steven wrote
    That's what I said if you read the previous page. wink

Must've missed what you said, Steven, but it can't be emphasized enough... smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Panthera wrote
    Kameo Elements of Power has an amazing score that could easily be mistaken for a film score. Plus, the Rareware website offers a bunch of bonus tracks as free downloads which adds a lot more content.

Highly recommended.

Cheers Panthera for the heads-up on the bonus cues for Kameo. An additional 30 minutes from Steve Burke is great news.

If anyone knows of other examples of additional tracks (that add to CD releases) that are available at game sites then share the news...

Rareware has bonus mp3's for a lot of their games. You should check them out. Some of the games have had CD releases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Panthera wrote
    Rareware has bonus mp3's for a lot of there games. You should check them out. Some of the games have had CD releases.

I must thank you for mentioning this...I just finished listening to the whole score of Kameo with the extra tracks mixed in and its awesome...the end credits piece is INCREDIBLE. It's like a super-epic Zimmer adventure piece except orchestrated differently.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    ahh, the typical nerd look, dorky face and always, I say always there must be glasses cool

See the photo i linked ontop of the page wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007 edited
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

Well, perhaps in Greece and England. But in Norway, I would much rather be characterized as a nerd than a geek. Nerds have social lives, like to party and hang out (in addition to their devoted interest of some kind) while geeks just sit around the house in front of the computer screen all day long.

You seem to have it in the opposite way. From what i know, in England, USA and us here in Greece (i'd also assume the majority of the other countries as well) the terms are as i described above. Interesting to hear you have them in reverse though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007
    Christodoulides wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    ahh, the typical nerd look, dorky face and always, I say always there must be glasses cool

Or this biggrin
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote

Or this biggrin

that was the one I was referring to, ah well wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2008
    Just reading through this today, and I have to say that video games can and have reached an emotional level on par with films. Very few films can move me to tears and I would never have imagined a video game could do it, but I have been proven wrong. I challenge anyone to play through the Half-Life 2 and the subsequent episodes and not be moved emotionally by the events in the evolving story so far. By developing multi-dimensional characters and story over the course of 20+ hours, Valve have done a tremendous job in creating one a helluva gaming and emotional experience.

Films that carry emotional power are often the result of creating characters we care about, and as long as games create strong, compelling characters and put them through certain situations, it can definitely be powerful. Granted, this isn't the aim of most games, but some developers have achieved it. I'll admit that it's tough, but it can be done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2008
    IGN´s "Best Original Score" Winner and Finalists:

http://bestof.ign.com/2007/pc/13.html
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  5. The Witcher best score? Most bland and unexciting thing I've heard all year.

My nominations for best score:
    Lair (John Debney)
    Mass Effect (Jack Wall, Sam Hulick, Richard Jacques, David Kates)
    Halo 3 (Marty O'Donnell & Michael Salvatori)
    God of War II (Gerard Marino, Mike Reagan, Ron Fish, Cris Velasco)
    Ragnarok Online II (Yoko Kanno)

And the Winner is:
    Halo 3, because it was my most anticipated soundtrack of the year and it delivers on all fronts.
  6. I'd recommend:

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (James Hannigan) and also the earlier scores by Jeremy Soule.

Lair (John Debney).
  7. Seems that no one in this thread recomended a very good videogame score: Bruce Broughton's HEART OF DARKNESS and released by Intrada Records some years ago, not sure if is still available, an amazing orchestral effort.
    so many scores... and not enough time... | http://soundtracklist.net
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008
    Luis M. Rojas wrote
    Seems that no one in this thread recomended a very good videogame score: Bruce Broughton's HEART OF DARKNESS and released by Intrada Records some years ago, not sure if is still available, an amazing orchestral effort.

Hey Luis,

Erik Woods wrote on Dec 19th, 2007
    Bruce Borughton's Heart of Darkness is available on the Intrada label. The very first fully orchestral score for a CD-ROM game.

wink tongue

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008
    I have listened to Christopher Lennertz's "Warhawk" for more than 20 times. And I'm so touched...I almost feel that Basil Poledouris is back to life again ! The way Lennertz orchestrates instantly reminds me of Starship Troopers/Robocop.

Besides "Lair", this is the most plainly bombastic score of the year !!!
  8. Ooops, I thought I read carefully he he... great that you recomend it, is an excellent score!!
    so many scores... and not enough time... | http://soundtracklist.net
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Hands up, all who think James Hannigan's score to Harry Potter and The Order Of The Phoenix blows Nicolas Hooper's score for the film outta the water? Dumbledore and Voldemort was one amazing track, as was The Inquisitorial squad!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Has anyone else heard James Hannigan's score to Evil Genius? Great little Bond knock-off! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    elenewton wrote
    I have listened to Christopher Lennertz's "Warhawk" for more than 20 times. And I'm so touched...I almost feel that Basil Poledouris is back to life again ! The way Lennertz orchestrates instantly reminds me of Starship Troopers/Robocop.

Yes! Great score, constantly big and bold. I like it more than Lair, even though it's less varied.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I fail to see what all the fuss is about the Halo 3 soundtrack? It's boring, bland, uninspired and all manner of nasty adjectives. My semi-film music fan flatmate thinks it's the best thing since slices bread, so naturally I put on some proper film music. rolleyes (Goldsmith, Williams et al.)
  9. Steven wrote
    I fail to see what all the fuss is about the Halo 3 soundtrack? It's boring, bland, uninspired and all manner of nasty adjectives. My semi-film music fan flatmate thinks it's the best thing since slices bread, so naturally I put on some proper film music. rolleyes (Goldsmith, Williams et al.)

I have to say, I entirely agree. The problem with VGM music is that most of the rated stuff is just whatever's in the best-selling (or best) games. The fans go crazy over Halo at the concerts but I for one can't see why musically speaking. IMHO, there are only a small number of quality composers working in games (I mean really writing film quality music and not hyped for their own sake by those game music sites). These are: Jeremy Soule, Michael Giacchino, James Hannigan, Chris Tilton, Richard Jacques, John Debney, Garry Schyman and Chris Lennertz. Did I miss any? I don't know much about the Japanese composers though, so maybe some need adding there. Anyway, why these guys don't pick up more gigs I do not know.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote

I like the main theme and a few select cues, but I agree, it just goes on and on and on and seems to live on drum loops! crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    Hands up, all who think James Hannigan's score to Harry Potter and The Order Of The Phoenix blows Nicolas Hooper's score for the film outta the water? Dumbledore and Voldemort was one amazing track, as was The Inquisitorial squad!

With you there all the way!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote

I like the main theme and a few select cues, but I agree, it just goes on and on and on and seems to live on drum loops! crazy

Well, I actually love percussion in all kinds of music, and Halo 3 is filled with it, but that doesn't make it bland, it has some great themes and crossover tracks, but mostly I love it because it's a musical style that sits comfortable in my mind, it's orchestral mixed with the synthesized, and the drums which completely click with me sit nicely in the middle. If you approach it like a film score, you will be disappointed because it doesn't build up like one, it accompanies the action in the game, it doesn't go for a thematic development as the soundtrack progresses.

Listen to the first Medal of Honor by Giacchino, while it's absolutely stunning, it doesn't feature lots of theme development, more like the tracks stand on their own, of course it's Giacchino at his best so he does something amazing with each cue, even though there's no real sense of buildup to a great climax (though he managed to do this with Frontline quite spectacularly).

This just to emphasize Marty O'Donnell & Giacchino are totally different in their composing, but I can dig both their styles.

As for japanese composers, Koichi Sugiyama (Dragon quest) has some fantastic film score like music, check out the Symphonic suites of each Dragon Quest, there are now 8 I think. I made a nice compilation (about 80 minutes) with the very best from these soundtracks, fully orchestral and with some brilliant thematic stuff, it's just beautiful from start to finish, if someone's interested I could provide them with it, because it's that great!!