• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Dead Space

We are talking BAFTA remember!

Not BAFTA

More like BARFTA vomit

gives me an ocassion to use this underused emoticon

biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Dead Space

We are talking BAFTA remember!

Not BAFTA

More like BARFTA vomit

gives me an ocassion to use this underused emoticon

biggrin

you gotta admit, my bro sure knows when he detests something wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. One of the best game scores is now reviewed on MainTitles, I'm curious to how many people actually played the game smile

Enjoy The Dig
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    One of the best game scores is now reviewed on MainTitles, I'm curious to how many people actually played the game smile

Enjoy The Dig

i never played the game but the score is high up on my best of video games score list. A superb work!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    One of the best game scores is now reviewed on MainTitles, I'm curious to how many people actually played the game smile

Enjoy The Dig

i never played the game but the score is high up on my best of video games score list. A superb work!

-Erik-

Like all the other LucasArts games back then, it was a hoot. But the music added something to that game that I still treasure to this day smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2009 edited
    Well , I know the game from name but actually never played it .
    The score is indeed excellent and for those who are curious how it sounds , just drop by this little site ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  4. I used to visit that homepage, I thought it was long extinct after it not being updated anymore.

That reminds me, if anyone wants to hear a killer Morricone-inspired western score, by all means try out Outlaws available on that site. The themes are fantastic!!!

The Dig (game) is brilliant, and the music works wonders in the game, like in any good sci-fi story the music sets the mood and does the same thing here. The game is available on Steam download service if anyone's interested. I played it when it came out (1995) and I know I will revisit it again like I've done many times.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Let me just take this opportunity to comment on one of my favourite videogame scores (for a belgian videogame to boot)

As taken from my Now Playing post, which makes much more sense here in this topic:

Outcast (Lennie Moore)

One of the most brilliant videogame scores out there. Such power, themes and sheer musical creativity has only been heard in the MOH scores, Lair and a handful of others. The recording and performances are breathtaking! I dare you not to feel goosebumps when the full force of the Moscow Symphony Orchestra and Chorus is unleashed upon you. And it features a duduk during one of the middle-eastern inspired cues. This soundtrack is truly mindblowing.

The choir is just amazing!!! Even more powerful than in the LOTR scores.

So anyone not yet acquainted with this masterful piece of work, get it, it's available for free on the game's website. This is not to be missed !!!!

Luckily I own the game so I have the soundtrack in lossless redbook audio, which is truly amazing.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Necessity
    Check out the main theme of the week, if you like strong music

Outcast is a must
    Review is also available now
  7. Yes bro, seems we're the only supporters of this truly awesome game score. Good review, but it's Infogrames, not Infogramic. wink
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    Yes bro, seems we're the only supporters of this truly awesome game score. Good review, but it's Infogrames, not Infogramic. wink

oops, changed it
    nobody noticed a thing smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010
    UNCHARTED 2 by GREG EDMONSON, watch the relevant topic in mt!
  9. Ok, now this topic should be revived and why not do it by recommending a truly hidden gem among asian game soundtracks, I don't think many people would be familiar with this, and that's a real shame. sad

The gem is called Ogre: Grand Repeat.

Just listen to the overture and tell me if this isn't a brilliant composition. The rest of the soundtrack is in the same style, grand, operatic, and gorgeous. punk

More info here

And I just learned there is a new recording with the tracks featured on this soundtrack, it's called Tactics Ogre: Unmei no Wa Original Soundtrack. The thing is: that soundtrack is 4 hours long. shocked I can't see myself sitting through 4 hours. But the soundtrack mentioned above should be enough for most people. I can recommend Ogre: Grand Repeat to everyone.
  10. The score to Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best I've ever heard.
  11. I've been listening to some music to World of Warcraft the last few days and it all sounds very good. I've heard stuff from Wrath of the Lich King, The Burning Crusade, Fall of the Lich King and Cataclysm.

Any other (earlier) titles that are worth hunting out?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  12. Echoes of War - The Music of Blizzard Entertainment, a sort of best-of of Blizzard games such as World of Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo.

All orchestra and choir and I like it.

Also Diablo II: Lord of Destruction (Matt Uelmen). Listen to the piece called 'Siege'. Pretty awesome!

There are some good tracks on the OST of Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty, the overture is majestic but the whole album goes a little too much on the ambient side.
  13. Cheers.

I've seen Starcraft II being mentioned and I may look into that one. I have Diablo II somewhere.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2010 edited
    Some talented composers from the Blizzard development company, they can write some pretty rousing stuff if you ask me.

Did you listen to Ogre: Grand Repeat Alan? See my recommendation above. Check it out. It has some very emotional music.
  14. DreamTheater wrote
    Did you listen to Ogre: Grand Repeat Alan? See my recommendation above. Check it out. It has some very emotional music.

Cheers, Gilles. I didn't see your recommendation. I'll definitely check it out.
  15. Alan, have you heard any material Harry Gregson-Williams wrote for games? Metal Gear Solid is definitely recommended, I am playing and listening to MGS 4 right now, a very good score to a brilliant game.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  16. Pawel, I like your taste. cool I love HGW's work on MGS, especially part 4.

Didn't know you were a MGS nut. Have you played all the games? I'm going through Snake Eater (Subsistence) for the third time now. That whole finale with the Shagohod is just one of the best marriages between film and game ever. Plus the ending with The Boss is so moving. So wonderfully voiced too by Hollywood screenwriter David Hayter. punk
  17. PawelStroinski wrote
    Alan, have you heard any material Harry Gregson-Williams wrote for games? Metal Gear Solid is definitely recommended, I am playing and listening to MGS 4 right now, a very good score to a brilliant game.

Yes I have.

Although I found that 2 CDs of MGS2 was adequate for my listening.
  18. You will find that 2 CDs of MGS4 will be a more fullfilling listening experience. But you'll have to accept the fact some unknown japanese composers have contributed to the score, but their style is actually pretty close to that of HGW. Plus it does have some very good non-action music, more introspective end of the saga kind of music, and the ending theme (Morricone's 'Here's To You' re-arranged by Harry) is the perfect send-off.
  19. I read an interview with Norihiko Hibino (spelling? THe guy who scored the other parts mostly) that the whole idea was to base everything on Harry Gregson-Williams's style and themes. That was Kojima's demand.

I haven't played any other part of the game (except the little blurb of part one - I think even Metal Gear! in [spoiler]Snake's nightmare before landing back at Shadow Moses[/spoiler]. I know the stories of the game and what is referred to where.

I am in love with Guns of the Patriots, partly because the sense of tragism. I mean, look at the BB Corps (one of the musically best tracks AND scenes in Harry Gregson-Williams's career, IMHO) and how tragic they are. The stories of them, their speeches after turning from "beast" to "beauty", in general. I mean, who wouldn't notice that a young girl screaming "People dying... People hurting... It's FUCKING hysterical" and going into manic laugh after that is very troubled and that the laugh is desperately tragic...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2010
    The best game score that i've heard this year is by far Jesper Kyd's Assassin's creed 3
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I read an interview with Norihiko Hibino (spelling? THe guy who scored the other parts mostly) that the whole idea was to base everything on Harry Gregson-Williams's style and themes. That was Kojima's demand.

I thought something like that happened. There's really no telling who did what if you just hear the music within the game.

I haven't played any other part of the game (except the little blurb of part one - I think even Metal Gear! in [spoiler]Snake's nightmare before landing back at Shadow Moses[/spoiler]. I know the stories of the game and what is referred to where.

I think the whole saga is great, it's not always logical or even though-provoking but Hideo Kojima created an entire world, much like Lucas with Star Wars, and the characters that inhabit it and the events that take place make perfect sense if you keep an open mind. How everything is interconnected is truly remarkable.

I am in love with Guns of the Patriots, partly because the sense of tragism. I mean, look at the BB Corps (one of the musically best tracks AND scenes in Harry Gregson-Williams's career, IMHO) and how tragic they are. The stories of them, their speeches after turning from "beast" to "beauty", in general. I mean, who wouldn't notice that a young girl screaming "People dying... People hurting... It's FUCKING hysterical" and going into manic laugh after that is very troubled and that the laugh is desperately tragic...

All part of Kojima's weird and wonderful sense of humour. I mean some of the stuff that happens in these games is so completely insane I crack up every time. And don't you agree those girls are just too goddamn sexy for such a serious game? Must've been something on the motion capturing stage to see that live. punk
  20. I rather found it very touching and moving, the BB corps and their stories. Humor is everywhere else though.

Drebin and the monkey are hysterical though, but after 5 minutes, Akiba having to go to the toilet during a major fight and before started to slightly annoy me, to be honest.
  21. Wait until Akiba gets fully redeemed for being a wimpy pain in the ass near the end. You'll love it!

If you get the chance definitely check out the other games, they may not be as advanced as MGS4, but storyline- and character-wise, the first MGS and MGS3 are absolutely brilliant.
  22. No, no, I don't hate the character. I hate the fact that they try to make it hilarious for the next half an hour, it gets boring after 5 minutes, that's what I mean.

I don't have what to play them on. Well, OK, maybe MGS 1, because I have a PSX emulator at home, but 2 and 3 are PS2, so I am unable to play them on my PS3.
  23. Well that's a shame then but nothing wikipedia couldn't solve, to know the ins and outs of the different storylines.