• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2014
    Sorry but I agree with Thor, I find it a bore.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You guys are clinically retarded!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. NP: Heaven and Hell (1993) - Kitaro

Beautiful. A seamless blend och orchestral and electronic elements. Kitaro and Vangelis are the masters of this trade. Better even than Goldsmith and Maurice Jarre.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    You guys are clinically retarded!

-Erik-

Quite likely! biggrin

I could never put my finger on it. I only ever bought the Spacecamp lp, played it enough times ( most recently a couple years back when this score caused a bit of conversation similar to now ) but it never had a 'hook' for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote

Better even than Goldsmith and Maurice Jarre.

Many people would argue that that's not difficult wink

Goldsmith, and particularly Jarre have many detractors over their use of electronics.
  2. It's Heaven and Earth of course. shame
    Heaven and Hell is a masterpiece album by Vangelis.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    How did I not notice!??? confused

Ahhhh, I see geek-radar is a bit faulty >>>>>>#&%=$ shocked <<<<<<<<<<<
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2014
    Listened to How to train your dragon today, while taking down the christmas tree and all. It amazed me again how brilliant this score is. Rating 6 out of 5 or something. It has everything a score needs. Great themes and instruments... this is how you write a score.
    punk

NP. Divenire - Einaudi
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I tried to get through The Wind Rises by Joe Hisaishi. I normally like his stuff but this was was tedious! I probably have to be in a better mood to enjoy it but that was one of the last few 2013 score I needed to listen to before I finalize my best of 2013. Move onto and revisiting Henry Jackman's apolocolyptic score to This Is The End

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    I tried to get through The Wind Rises by Joe Hisaishi. I normally like his stuff but this was was tedious!

I was quite bored by it too, when I think about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tim's Vermeer - Conrad Pope

This elegant, classically-informed score is one of the finest of the year for sure. Echoes of both Desplat and Williams here.
  3. Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher

Saw the film yesterday and what a breath of fresh air. While maybe not the best crime story ever told, I love the way it was told. Full of faith in images, viewer's intelligence and musical silence. Good to see a car chase with shots longer than half a second, good to hear such a scene (as the shootout at the end!) unscored. It lets the performances (a good turn by Cruise with a bit of an understated, if acerbic, charisma), the intrigue shine without being overly "flashy" in modern terms.

At the same time Kraemer's score harkens at the 1970s as does the movie (contrary to opinions that it's an 80s homage, there basically no nonsensical chases and explosions and the action is kept at bay, it's a story of *intrigue* more than anything). The Main Title cue is of particular note, probably the most "active" piece of music (with the action largely unscored, there is mostly tension-building and a very careful one at that) in the film.

A breath of fresh air I heavily enjoyed.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Tim's Vermeer - Conrad Pope

This elegant, classically-informed score is one of the finest of the year for sure. Echoes of both Desplat and Williams here.

Tim's Vermeer will be next for me after This Is The End <-- which is still excellent!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    North by Northwest - Bernard Herrmann

Outstanding.
  4. Film recording or McNeely?
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : William The Conqueror - John Scott

Lovely , majestic score , full of wonderful themes !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Film recording or McNeely?

McNeely...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote

...or Johnson?

And if it's a short suite then there's a multitude to choose from.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

McNeely...

spoilsport tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anyone know how McNeely's version compares to Laurie Johnson's?

Against all odds, Johnson was a good friend of Herrmann.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've never heard the Johnson.

I do like the McNeely one. But (controversial opinion?) I generally prefer my Herrmann in suite form. All those short tracks are musically complete which is impressive, but...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, as much of a fan of Herrmann's that I am I'm inclined to mostly agree with you.

Oh yes, The Johnson recording is very good as I remember ( not heard it for many years now )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I imagine most sane people would agree too. (Which is odd, because I agree myself.)
  5. I only know the McNeely version. I like that a lot.

Volker
  6. I like my short Herrmann tracks.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher

Saw the film yesterday and what a breath of fresh air. While maybe not the best crime story ever told, I love the way it was told. Full of faith in images, viewer's intelligence and musical silence. Good to see a car chase with shots longer than half a second, good to hear such a scene (as the shootout at the end!) unscored. It lets the performances (a good turn by Cruise with a bit of an understated, if acerbic, charisma), the intrigue shine without being overly "flashy" in modern terms.

At the same time Kraemer's score harkens at the 1970s as does the movie (contrary to opinions that it's an 80s homage, there basically no nonsensical chases and explosions and the action is kept at bay, it's a story of *intrigue* more than anything). The Main Title cue is of particular note, probably the most "active" piece of music (with the action largely unscored, there is mostly tension-building and a very careful one at that) in the film.

A breath of fresh air I heavily enjoyed.

I haven't heard the score away from the film but I was pretty impressed -- and surprised to be -- by the film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. Why did it surprise? Was it the old-school narrative style?
  9. Or rather, impress.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2014
    The score surprised me a bit (more than the film - which I did like). I didn't expect to hear echoes of that Michael Small / David Shire sound of the 70s again, certainly not in a studio film. Really enjoyed it.
  10. Am I the only one who hears a bit of John Williams conspiracy marches in the theme in End Credits?

Also, to watch an unscored car chase... that was something.