• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2009
    I don't know whether the following subject have been discussed here or not. However, i would like to share my pleasant surprise which i had last night. Nowadays, i have become crazy about purchasing DVDs, in that case, yesterday, i purchased The Omen - Special Edition DVD. Actually, the pleasant surprise in that Jerry Goldsmith's interview about his score for The Omen. In that, he revealed very interesting fact about writing a cue for Damien to Church scene in the movie. He said he slightly drew the inspiration from John Williams' famous two-note theme from Jaws. He told that he was completely amazed by the idea of Williams writing that particular cue which worked superbly in the movie Jaws. So, he studied Williams and inserted that in his original cue for Damien to Church and beautifully improvised that two-note theme. Wow! amazing stuff.

Honestly speaking, until yesterday, i never knew about this information. I think i am quite fortunate indeed to own this DVD and discovered this fact about Jerry Goldsmith's thoughts and opinions about John Williams.

Did anyone seen this? Does anybody have The Omen Special Edition DVD? or Does anyone know about this information earlier?

Thank you.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I just learned about it from you!!! Thanks for the info
    listen to more classical music!
  1. That is an interesting story. It just goes to show - Goldsmith held Williams in some regard.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    That's the first time I'm hearing of it. Thanks for sharing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Interesting! Thanks for sharing. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Interesting. I had always assumed he took it from Stravinsky (it sounds closer to it than it does to Jaws, really).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    In fact, some of the John Williams' music are somewhat similar to Stravinsky's music. Of course, not note-to-note but i find similarity in conducting and orchestration style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jaws is clearly very inspired by Stravinsky.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    But i heard that two-note theme was actually inspired by Antonin Dvorak. Of course, there are some movements in this score where you can hear some nearby echoes of Stravinksy's The Rite of Spring (which is one of my favorite one).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hmm...interesting tidbit on the OMEN score there. I also remember that Goldsmith was asked a question a la "what score do you wish you had composed" and he answered "SCHINDLER'S LIST". So yeah, he was obviously in awe of Williams' work. I'm sure the respect was mutual, though. Williams has also performed Goldsmith pieces in his Boston Pops repertoire, for example.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Williams has also performed Goldsmith pieces in his Boston Pops repertoire, for example.

Unbelievable. It seems to me that both were ego-free personalities. I am very glad to see this kind of information. Thank you, Thor!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2009 edited
    Sunil wrote
    Williams has also performed Goldsmith pieces in his Boston Pops repertoire, for example.

Unbelievable. It seems to me that both were ego-free personalities. I am very glad to see this kind of information. Thank you, Thor!

I think Goldsmith had a decent-sized ego! His Schindler's List comment was actually in answer to "which film do you wish you had scored" rather than "which score do you wish you had written". I heard him give a very terse reply when somebody asked him about the impact of John Williams on modern film music in light of Star Wars ("the impact is down to George Lucas, not John Williams").

To my knowledge Williams has never, once, said anything even vaguely interesting. He obviously hates being interviewed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Williams has never, once, said anything even vaguely interesting. He obviously hates being interviewed.

Maybe, but he actually did it with his performance. He indeed performed some of Jerry Goldsmith pieces as Thor said in above message. John Williams is Man of Action. smile Moreover, if he hates being interviewed, that doesn't mean he is so egoistic person.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sunil wrote
    Williams has never, once, said anything even vaguely interesting. He obviously hates being interviewed.

Maybe, but he actually did it with his performance. He indeed performed some of Jerry Goldsmith pieces as Thor said in above message. John Williams is Man of Action. smile Moreover, if he hates being interviewed, that doesn't mean he is so egoistic person.

I wasn't trying to suggest that. In fact, whenever I've seen interviews with Williams about other film composers he admires, he was always said Goldsmith, and Goldsmith always said Williams (along with North and Waxman). But there is plenty of documentary evidence to suggest Goldsmith had an ego and a half (and frankly, why shouldn't he?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Sunil wrote

I think Goldsmith had a decent-sized ego! His Schindler's List comment was actually in answer to "which film do you wish you had scored" rather than "which score do you wish you had written". I heard him give a very terse reply when somebody asked him about the impact of John Williams on modern film music in light of Star Wars ("the impact is down to George Lucas, not John Williams").

To my knowledge Williams has never, once, said anything even vaguely interesting. He obviously hates being interviewed.

Eh...what? I've heard dozens upon dozens of Williams interviews, and they have almost always been VERY interesting. Yes, there's the occasional "smooching" here and there, typical of all Hollywood, but his analytical skill, knowledge and way of communicating are brilliant. It's like a scholarly grandpa!

Goldsmith, however, was notoriously bad in talking about the artform or his own work. Just vacant descriptions and short replies. Very little of value or interest. He could be a very intellectual film composer IN HIS MUSIC, but not verbally. Either he wasn't very good at it or he didn't want to talk about it and rather just let the music speak for itself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'd love to read some of those Williams interviews (genuinely). I've never felt I've learned anything about him, his composing process, or any insight into what he intended to do with any piece of film music, from his interviews.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    I'd love to read some of those Williams interviews (genuinely). I've never felt I've learned anything about him, his composing process, or any insight into what he intended to do with any piece of film music, from his interviews.

That's strange, as I get that even from something as brief and superficial as the DVD extras. But an excellent "interview" is the lecture he held at USC (I believe) a couple of years ago, with Jon Burlingame hosting (even though Williams had a cold that day). It used to be available to download. I'll see if I can find it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Ah! this is a good conversation between Thor and Southall. Well done, Boys! applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

Check out some of the interviews from the more recent Spielberg films. As far as I remember, I think he explains his approaches quite well? (But I think he's far more reserved with his opinions than composers like Herrmann, Goldsmith and even Horner to some degree. Quite the gentleman I'd say!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Check out some of the interviews from the more recent Spielberg films. As far as I remember, I think he explains his approaches quite well? (But I think he's far more reserved with his opinions than composers like Herrmann, Goldsmith and even Horner to some degree. Quite the gentleman I'd say!)

Oh yes, definitely. You won't find the "from-the-gut" opinions that you'll find with people like Elfman, Zimmer, Horner etc. (perhaps even complete with swearwords, like with Zimmer and Elfman) But there's a time for that and a time for a more soft-spoken, yet very insightful commentary.

I love Goldenthal in interviews. He manages to be both quite acerbic and witty, yet at the same time scholarly.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    All quite interesting. In modern times you can be a great composer or writer but you can't have the attitude of leave me alone and let me just work. Even Thomas Newman who pretty much keeps to himself has been interviewed although certainly not the 100's of times other composers have.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'd appreciate if some people could link to some specifics to read because I'm genuinely astonished at the reaction I got (I thought it was a pretty universally-acknowledged point that he never opened up in interviews). Ironically he is the only one of my favourite composers who I don't feel I actually know anything about, as a person, from listening to his music. I get it from Goldsmith, North, Morricone, Herrmann, more modern people like Elfman and Horner, but I don't get it from Williams at all, so he's the one composer where I'd be most interested in hearing him talk about it (because I think - probably contrary to what everyone else in the known universe thinks, so there's no need to tell me how crazy I am - that his music is much more about extremely polished craft than genuinely writing from the heart).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    I'd appreciate if some people could link to some specifics to read because I'm genuinely astonished at the reaction I got (I thought it was a pretty universally-acknowledged point that he never opened up in interviews). Ironically he is the only one of my favourite composers who I don't feel I actually know anything about, as a person, from listening to his music. I get it from Goldsmith, North, Morricone, Herrmann, more modern people like Elfman and Horner, but I don't get it from Williams at all, so he's the one composer where I'd be most interested in hearing him talk about it (because I think - probably contrary to what everyone else in the known universe thinks, so there's no need to tell me how crazy I am - that his music is much more about extremely polished craft than genuinely writing from the heart).

Southall, I have a bunch of interviews on my computer and on DVD's, CD's, but I'm not really sure where I'll find them on the net. I guess youtube is a possibility, but that's really only the DVD extras, for the most part (which, incidentally, are also very often as in-depth as it's possible to be over the course of the short running time). I am equally astonished that you haven't been able to get much valuable info from Williams interviews, as - to me - it's just a long line of specific point after specific point. Very refreshing over reading the tired ol' "oh my god, it was so tremendous to work for the director" or "i just felt we needed to have some emotion in that scene" etc.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009
    What???? you have bunch of interviews of John Williams? OMG! you are damn luckiest person on Earth. I wish i could have all those interviews because i am die hard fan of John Williams.
  2. Small Goldsmith update:

I'll try to post them a couple at a time, even though some want perhaps more of this wink

- The 13th Warrior
    - Air Force One
    - Bandolero
    - Basic Instinct
    - Rent-a-Cop

Good weekend y'all
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2009 edited
    Mmm...
    Basic Instinct 5 stars please!! angry
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2009
    Have to agree with Nautilus. Basic Instinct is probably one of the best thriller scores ever conceived and in my book there is no other rating than ***** possible!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009
    moviescore wrote
    Have to agree with Nautilus. Basic Instinct is probably one of the best thriller scores ever conceived and in my book there is no other rating than ***** possible!

Ditto!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009 edited
    moviescore wrote

Well, it's in the eye of the beholder and all that (people are free to even dislike it), but there's no doubt that it's a cornerstone in Goldsmith's filmography and basically created the template for how sexual thrillers would be scored up to this day.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Nautilus wrote
    Mmm...
    Basic Instinct 5 stars please!! angry

sorry, I stand with my personal ratings wink
    but I can absolutely see why you would want that smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh