• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2007
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    How we have talked a lot of times you are not familiar with Back to the future universe. But Silvestri copied secondaries motifs from there in Predator, so sometimes is a little bit annoying.

The score is overrated and the movie is overrated in the same way. Both are good and cool, but far from masterpieces who some people tries to see

And you´re the one always talking about composers own voice? You shouldn´t be complaining then, should you? Moreover, I think "Predator" is more than those references to other Silvestri´s scores. The action stuff is amazing, and as you demanded in another thread (regarding AVP2), in "Predator" there is a sense of story, an evolution and a conclusion. What else do you want? angry

Touché!

But Ey!!! some people here (YOU!!!) missundertodd when I say come score is overrated! Im not saying is bad! I enjoy a lot of this score, im only saying is not the masterpiece everybody says!

Of course I enjoy this militaristic ryhtms, the harp, the strings, the theme, the action stuff, the atmosphere...And it's one of the most balanced SIlvestri's scores, without being to be over the top with the main theme again and again!

I like it! But like Kamen's Die hard, sometimes the love for the movie can make shine to much the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    GORAN BREGOVIC - Karmen with a happy ending

punk cool punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Of course I enjoy this militaristic ryhtms, the harp, the strings, the theme, the action stuff, the atmosphere...And it's one of the most balanced SIlvestri's scores, without being to be over the top with the main theme again and again! .

That´s the key for me; the main theme is only played in key moments; as you say, is not overused as it would have been the easy way. That´s why I say this score has an evolution as a listening experience, and I love it.

As for Kamen´s "Die Hard", well, worked well in the movie, but I don´t like it as a listening experience. Not enough to stand alone outside the film. I agree with you here, Die Hard is highly overrated.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

punk cool punk

Hey, I like the happy ending thing biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Jordi, we're like Pinky and the Brain, you and me. beer

Which one of you is Pinky? biggrin

Don't look at me...I don't know even what is Pink and the brain tongue

You're Pinky if you were wondering.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Jordi, we're like Pinky and the Brain, you and me. beer

Which one of you is Pinky? biggrin

Don't look at me...I don't know even what is Pink and the brain tongue

You're Pinky if you were wondering.

No, I was not.

Im not your coup of tea...Eh? tongue

NP:Predator

I let you my "enemy" mood, and I will join allied forces.

This short militaristic motif is highly addictive, and with a few instruments ( xylophone, Harp, Strings, Drums, horns and synth) Silvestri has created a very distinctive sound.Now I notice more this style in AVP2.

I Have Voyages ( a Silvestri compilation) and I remember the 7 minuts piece from Predator 2 was fu__ing amazing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2007 edited
    Bregje wrote
    Phew, posts unread: 710... I'm not going to read through all that!

I have been very busy so I missed a lot here on the new forum, but things are finally getting a bit back to normal again, so here I am, in the new house. Don't be surprised I'm listening to Transformers. This time I have to admit it's because most of my scores are in boxes so I don't know where they are! But I'm not complaining, not yet.
    smile

Bregje!!!!!Hello!Welcome!I was starting to feel a bit lonely here!Female representation in the forum is increasing!Ok!!! biggrin
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Lonely? shocked With studs like us? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Christodoulides wrote
    Lonely? shocked With studs like us? shocked

Come on hon!Don't take it personal boys!You are all wonderful!I meant lonely as one of the few female representatives in the forum!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavi, when are you going to introduce maintitles.net to your plethora of lovely female company that's into film music as well?

(What? No such thing as that?!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Christodoulides wrote
    Stavi, when are you going to introduce maintitles.net to your plethora of lovely female company that's into film music as well?

(What? No such thing as that?!)

I see what I can do!!!Would you mind if the are not exactly what we call lovely?! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Hey Bregje!

Good to hear all went pretty well.
    And the colour sheme seems nice too. wink
    I second Demetris, pictures please!

The forum is very active these days.
    Keep yourself up to date. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well indeed, if they have photos in their profiles we'll decide out who's lovely and who's not; don't you worry tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked BREGJE ! biggrin

I was wondering if you ever would come back! bounce
    I remember when i moved last year, the first thing I got up was my bed, the second was internet.
    (But yeah, I'm sad and sentimental and can't bear to be away for long shame )
    Hope the new house is everything you guys wished for!

NP: The Dreamer Of Oz - Lee Holdridge.
    Sweet, not not wholly remarkable.

Demetris, there's a new Bregovic out??? shocked
    I WANT it! I NEED it!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Water Horse: Legend Of The Deep - James Newton Howard

Now that I have listened to the album approx. 300 times, I can firmly say that I am impressed. It's a lot different from Michael Clayton (duh) so that makes it refreshing enough. I think the album is at its best during Swimming (a fantastic cue - gave me goosebumps when I first heard it) and the final five cues.

Thank you James and keep 'em coming!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    The score is overrated (but not so much like the stupid thing to consider abyss a masterpiece just for one track) and the movie is overrated in the same way.

First of all, The Abyss is not overrated and I don't like it because of only one track. Maybe you have ONLY heard one track but it's a perfect blend of synth atmosphere and orchestral brilliance. Here is what I wrote about the score in the scorereviews forum.

The sound design is perfect for the wondrous aspect of being underwater and for that far deep in the ocean. The sparse use of sound makes the accompanying scenes more eerie and mysterious. And then when the aliens finally make their appearance Silvestri introduces the orchestra. There are two major action sequence with full orchestra heard before the alien discovery but I think Silvestri hit the nail on the head with this score by keeping the orchestra locked up until the big reveal. It makes THOSE moments much more meaningful.

I love this score... all of it!

As for Predator... one of the 80's best movies. And the score is, as mentioned before, GREAT!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    As for Predator... one of the 80's best movies. And the score is, as mentioned before, GREAT!
    -Erik-

beer to that. A perfect mixture of action and Sci-Fi.

NP Aliens Vs Predator-Requiem (Brian Tyler)

Addicted to it. Impossible not to enjoy tracks like "Decimation Proclamation", "Power Struggle" or the looong "Taking Sides".
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Beyond The Gates - Dario Marianelli

I find this a deeply haunting listening experience - cues such as Is God Here? are so light and delicate but so heartbreaking.

Beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote

I find this a deeply haunting listening experience - cues such as Is God Here? are so light and delicate but so heartbreaking.

Beautiful.

So glad you liked it mate, it ranks among MSM's best releases so far, imo. Another one i'd deeply recommend is CHRIS WONG'S JOURNEY FROM THE FALL; simply beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

Demetris, there's a new Bregovic out??? shocked
    I WANT it! I NEED it!

Remind me tomorrow mate at - you know where wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    NP: GREMLINS II: THE NEW BATCH - Jerry Goldsmith

I used to skip this one forward to the themes... and then just the Gremlins rag, mostly. Now I'm enjoying it start to finish, including the recognising of a whole lot of other motivs and stuff. See? I've, like, so matured as a listener since I was ten!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christodoulides wrote
    LSH wrote

Beautiful.

So glad you liked it mate...

What can I say? I love African scores, especially those as subtle and haunting as this. And there have been quite a few of them in the past couple of years, Blood Diamond and Duma for instance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    NP: GREMLINS (complete) - Jerry Goldsmith

This is just so nostalgic. And so much fun, in a dark kind of way (that Gremlins really nailed).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BRIAN TYLER - AVPR

I am having my first break since i started video editing 4 hours ago (and still have a lot to go) and i am playing this dead-LOUD as we speak. I have officially stopped talking about this in the forum since last night and i don't know what you're saying there; i've got only this to say while playing this as loud as hell:

F*CK YEAH! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: Alien Deluxe - Jerry Goldsmith

Wow. Hard to describe just how good this is. As fine a film score as there has been (ironic - given what happened to it in the film!)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    bounce bounce

Martijn, If you keep this up......

I'll return to >>>
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer

before my NP's slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Christodoulides wrote

punk cool punk

Ooooh, somehow I'd missed this. Just went to order - I've enjoyed his music for a long time, but really became a fan after seeing him in concert at Lincoln Center last year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I can't put into words how amazing that work is, Katiek and Martijn. I'd say it's one of his best works ever, so much energy, so much brass, so much rhythm! It's a 2007 release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    I can't put into words how amazing that work is, Katiek and Martijn. I'd say it's one of his best works ever, so much energy, so much brass, so much rhythm! It's a 2007 release.

Wow, that is very interesting!
    Kazoo