• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2010
    Remastered version of the Krull original album for me please!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    What do you mean? The original 45 minute Southern Cross release remastered?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indeed! I just took those tracks off the 2-CD Supercollector version - that's all I ever listen to now. (And what a magnificent playlist that is!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Personally, Batman is so far behind KRULL in the great score stakes it's possitively prehistoric, however, if you already own the KRULL 2CD release then go for Batman, personally, apart from a few ( admittedly excellent ) tracks, Batman is a no, no for me.

I'd be interested to hear people's opinion once they've got their remastered Krull in.
    If the remastering is anywhere near as good as on the Horner Star Trek releases I'll certainly consider trading in my SuperCollector edition.

As it is right now, I'm quite happy with the current editions of both Batman and Krull, so I'll pass. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yeah
  1. Am I the only Horner fan who prefers his 2000s music to his 1980s work? Many of my favorite Horner scores are from the past 10 years: A Beautiful Mind, Avatar, The Perfect Storm, Enemy at the Gates, and House of Sand and Fog are several key examples.

It seems a lot of fans think the 80s and early 90s were his boom period, but honestly the only score from that period that's really blown me away is Aliens. Compared to 20 years ago, I think his music has become more nuanced and subtle, and a little less showy. I sometimes think that a piano solo from Horner is more emotionally resonant than some of the suites he's (in)famous for...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2010 edited
    I hear what you're saying Kevin. I know what you mean. I certainly agree ......to a degree.
    But I love his "showy" eighties scores. I watched Star Trek 2 and 3 last night (beautifully remastered) and Horner's music was so spirited, fun and "showy" in the best possible way!
    There was so much life in the early scores. His music for the past decade is wonderful on the most part.
    But he continued to choose projects that called for introspective scores with very little action (or fun).
    Just a couple of adventure scores would have been welcome (OK we had The Legend of Zorro) to add a little spice to the decade's mix. There really was a drought there I think. That's just my taste I guess.
    His music for Avatar has great moments. And I loooove his Horsemen music.
    So I hope he's returning (at least a little) to his adventurous musical roots. That would be most welcome by me!
  2. Kevin, I think mid 90s through early 00s are my favorite years of Horner's career. Here's a breakdown of my favorite 20 Horner scores by years ('cuz I like statistics...)

Years # of scores in my top 20
    1980-1983 1
    1984-1986 2
    1987-1989 2
    1990-1993 1
    1994-1996 5
    1997-1999 3
    2000-2003 4
    2004-2006 2
    2007-2009 0

But your question was whether you're only Horner fan that prefers 2000s Horner to 1980s Horner. It's close for me, but I think I enjoy his 2000s more, my favorite being Legend of Zorro.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am with Kevin too; Horner's 80's cheese is enough to give me a heart-attack.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2010
    angry rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Yes, the 80's were a terrible decade for Horner where he inflicted upon us STAR TREK'S II & III, KRULL, BRAINSTORM, ALIENS, WILLOW, THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN, COCOON, 48 HOURS, GORKY PARK....a terrible, TERRIBLE time to be a film music fan.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Dreadful indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yes, the 80's were a terrible decade for Horner where he inflicted upon us STAR TREK'S II & III, KRULL, BRAINSTORM, ALIENS, WILLOW, THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN, COCOON, 48 HOURS, GORKY PARK....a terrible, TERRIBLE time to be a film music fan.

None of those works are favorite Horner scores for me; i am not making general comments, i am talking about my tastes alone; i'd take apollo 13 or the perfect storm or Braveheart or even avatar any time over those scores which i never listen anymore anyway.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You're bonkers! tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I like 80s Horner and I like 10s Horner. I think he's more consistent now - in terms of quality and indeed style - so while we're not getting poor stuff like Unlawful Entry or Jade now, we're also not quite seeing the wonderful creativity he showed in those earlier days, nor the harder edges which gave so much to his work.

Brainstorm, Krull, Star Trek II - as far as I'm concerned, that's as good as film music gets. There's nothing schmaltzy or cheesy about it.
  3. Southall wrote
    Brainstorm, Krull, Star Trek II - as far as I'm concerned, that's as good as film music gets. There's nothing schmaltzy or cheesy about it.

Heartily agree!

If I were to choose examples of what "my James Horner" would be then Brainstorm and Star Trek II would be examples I would choose - along with Aliens.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I fail to understand how anyone can consider Horner's 80s scores cheesy? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    I fail to understand how anyone can consider Horner's 80s scores cheesy? uhm

Timmer hit the nail on the head:
    You're bonkers! tongue

It's the only explanation.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. BobdH wrote
    Dan Goldwasser just confirmed here in Ubeda that a reissue of Horner's Krull will be released at the end of July. It will be a remastering of the previously released 2 disc set, plus a few extra bonus cues.

considering I've never got the chance to purchase Krull, this is wonderful news for me smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010
    I just relistened to Clear and Present Danger today, and for all his great scores from the 80s to now, I think I like this one best of all in terms of pure enjoyment.
  5. Especially that Clear and Present Danger works well as a summary of his 80s action music and the post-Sneakers "pop" suspense. There is a part in Ambush, where he orchestrates all his motifs from the 80s - those stemming from Gorky Park up to Another 48 HRS! (Yes, Commando and Red Heat too)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The way i see music, sometimes invetibly through the musicologist's pov too, and especially as someone who's in essense grown up mostly from 199+ - to date, his current, later stage as a composer (as every composer goes through stages) is much closer to my tastes than what he did in the 80's and in the era you mentioned before, many (basically most) of those scores i can't stand listening to. Plus he's writing is much more coherent and he has also matured as a composer too;
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    The way i see music, sometimes invetibly through the musicologist's pov too, and especially as someone who's in essense grown up mostly from 199+ - to date, his current, later stage as a composer (as every composer goes through stages) is much closer to my tastes than what he did in the 80's and in the era you mentioned before, many (basically most) of those scores i can't stand listening to. Plus he's writing is much more coherent and he has also matured as a composer too;

I like the raw touch, the same goes for Barry, Williams, Goldsmith etc, where composers were willing to push the envelope.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I'm with you Tim! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They're still pushing envelopes, in different, more mature ways and in different styles; i can't think of anyone who'll seriously support that John Williams wasn't pushing the envelope in WAR OF THE WORLDS, an outstanding modern composition.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010 edited
    ...and barely listenable outside the movie. wink

His only recent composition I return regularly to is Memoirs of a Geisha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Couldn't disagree more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Which explains some things. ^^

[doctor´s mode]How often do you listen to this... kind of stuff?[/doctor´s mode]
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    There's other film music than leitmotif_____leitmotif variation________leitmotif________end titles fanfare you know. War of the Worlds, Munich, A.I and Minority Report are all outstanding film scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Christodoulides wrote
    There's other film music than leitmotif_____leitmotif variation________leitmotif________end titles fanfare you know.

There is? shocked

War of the Worlds, Munich, A.I and Minority Report are all outstanding film scores.

That´s true. All of them work quite well in their movies. And there´s some stuff in Munich and A.I I really love. I also agree that Williams´ action & suspense stuff got edgier and more complex with every year, but that doesn´t make it necessarily more enjoyable during Tea Time. wink