• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    I guess that was meant ironically?
    That would be funny (in an ironic sort of way), because cynicism is the new irony with which people generally mean sarcasm, which is quite ironic because then you get to be sarcastic about cynicism!

Thanks for clearing that up...

I was quite cynical about sarcasm so it seems that all along I was being sarcastic rather than cynical which is ironic don't you think?

I think you're just kidding, really. biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, seriously.

In essence there's absolutely no difference than constantly bashing Zimmer, or Horner for self-plagiarism and the danger motif (etc etc); when everyone who feel tired by the standardized loud Powell banging that would give Daisy multiple orgasms at once, are being characterized as cynics.

Yes, it's fun for a while but when did Powell sign the contract of absolute musical perfection?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think maybe Matt was more coming down on us (good-heartidly) hammering Jordi than actually commenting on Powell's style. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2008 edited
    Euhm, I've never really understood cynical vs sarcasm vs irony.
    To me they're all about fun and humour. biggrin
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I think maybe Matt was more coming down on us (good-heartidly) hammering Jordi than actually commenting on Powell's style. smile

True! smile beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Halo 3 - Martin O' Donnell and Michael Salvatori

Listening to the electronic-based score of Halo 1, listening to the electric guitar mix and live orchestrals of the second one and moving on to this one to hear all the themes played out with a full-on live orchestra is an amazing experience!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Wow. I'm very scared now. I daren't actually try to comprehend any of the above statements, or my brain might explode!

Demetris, I meant "cynic" in the general sense of most of a person's statements being critical in a negative way, rather than seeking out the good in things...

Then again, if I am pointing out that someone is a cynic, I am by that definition being a cynic myself. I should instead ignore the cynical nature of the comments and focus on the good aspects of said people, such as the fact that they have much greater musical knowledge than I smile

Martijn, i love your lolcat.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote

It's very simple:
    - cynicism isn't funny. At all. It's a dark, negative and bitter outlook on life.
    ("old people are useless. The world would be better off gassing them at 65")

-irony is a form of mockery. Originally it meant stating the opposite of what you meant, but the style has changed so much that it's now used for ...well, almost any stylistic expression to do with mockery, inconsistencies and opposing issues, or even as generic as expectations or reality and how a situation pans out. Usually it involves taking an external stance (not being involved), looking in in any given situation.
    (classic irony: "Brief and succinct, that's the Martijn we know and love"
    modern irony: "Isn't talking about music like smelling for literature?"
    NOTE: Alanis Morisette proves in her hit song 'Ironic' from the acclaimed album Jagged Little Pill that she hasn't the first clue what irony is.

- sarcasm is a biting form of wit, bordering on the insulting (the line is very fine indeed.)
    ("MainTitles? Isn't that that site for people who have absolutely nothing to say and tend to do so rather verbosely?")
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote

It's very simple:
    - cynicism isn't funny. At all. It's a dark, negative and bitter outlook on life.
    ("old people are useless. The world would be better off gassing them at 65")

-irony is a form of mockery. Originally it meant stating the opposite of what you meant, but the style has changed so much that it's now used for ...well, almost any stylistic expression to do with mockery, inconsistencies and opposing issues, or even as generic as expectations or reality and how a situation pans out. Usually it involves taking an external stance (not being involved), looking in in any given situation.
    (classic irony: "Brief and succinct, that's the Martijn we know and love"
    modern irony: "Isn't talking about music like smelling for literature?"
    NOTE: Alanis Morisette proves in her hit song 'Ironic' from the acclaimed album Jagged Little Pill that she hasn't the first clue what irony is.

- sarcasm is a biting form of wit, bordering on the insulting (the line is very fine indeed.)
    ("MainTitles? Isn't that that site for people who have absolutely nothing to say and tend to do so rather verbosely?")

You, explain things better, in ENGLISH, than I do mate! slant

Now that's irony wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    > and no, I wan't being sarcastic. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ok. stop! dizzy spin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm just proud I didn't say it. smile cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Wow. I'm very scared now. I daren't actually try to comprehend any of the above statements, or my brain might explode!

Demetris, I meant "cynic" in the general sense of most of a person's statements being critical in a negative way, rather than seeking out the good in things...

Then again, if I am pointing out that someone is a cynic, I am by that definition being a cynic myself. I should instead ignore the cynical nature of the comments and focus on the good aspects of said people, such as the fact that they have much greater musical knowledge than I smile

Martijn, i love your lolcat.

No worries mate, i was (later) talking in a more general way rather than solely directed to you alone smile

n.p the sweet sound of my kick-ass new pc's motherboard fan shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

See? Don't worry. You'll soon discover that it has nothing enjoyable innit either.

It is IN IT. Not innit. IN IT!

How fucking irritating!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

See? Don't worry. You'll soon discover that it has nothing enjoyable innit either.

How fucking irritating!

-Erik-

I think he was asking for confirmation, rather than commenting on the level of introversy of the matter, innit D.?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

How fucking irritating!

-Erik-

biggrin

It is innit? Oop, sorry.

Siegfried & Roy: The Magic Box Alan Silvestri

Awesome stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Innit and LOLcats... I'm soon going to leave this board all together.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Prisioner of Azkaban (williams)

The last Great Williams Classic.

" a window's to the past" "Buckbeacks flight" "secret of the castle" or "forward to time past" are some of the most impressive tracks ever penned by Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    It is innit? Oop, sorry.

Beatcha to the punch!

Erik wrote

It is unavoidable. It is...your destiny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    It is innit? Oop, sorry.

Beatcha to the punch!

Erik wrote

LAME!

See ya! wave

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    It is innit? Oop, sorry.

Beatcha to the punch!

Erik wrote

LAME!

See ya! wave

-Erik-

Bye! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BTW, I'm serious. I'm probably going to be spending less and less time around here. Not that you guys arent great but I'm just kinda bored with all of this.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    BTW, I'm serious. I'm probably going to be spending less and less time around here. Not that you guys are great but I'm just kinda board with all of this.

-Erik-

Really? Damn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bored with the board.
    Fair enough. That happens. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    BTW, I'm serious. I'm probably going to be spending less and less time around here. Not that you guys are great but I'm just kinda board with all of this.

-Erik-

sad
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, no worries. Many of us, including myself, have taken extended leaves of absence from the board. It's a good thing generally. Revitalizes the creative juices and opens some room to concentrate on other stuff.
  1. DemonStar wrote
    NP: Gladiator - Hans Zimmer

I'm playing this mainly for the track "Am I Not Merciful?" which I suddenly felt a strong urge to play. The chorals are blowing me away like a hurricane!! shocked punk

Listen to Barbarian Horde, the Nick Glennie-Smith's variations of Zimmer's Gladiator Waltz ! punk punk punk punk punk wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LION IN WINTER - John Barry

The original, bliss! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

How fucking irritating!

-Erik-

Heheh. Sorry mate, one more click for the spacebar is too tiring at times wink