• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    I'm guessing he'll go for the Giacchino sound with the odd reference and nod to past composers.

I'm looking forward to the last track which of course will be called Star Tredits

I hope he is his own man. Totally new and inspiring score. Enough with the homage.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2008
    Kung Fu Panda John Powell & Hans Zimmer

I know, I'm bordering on Jordi-obsessiveness with this score, but it is a lot of fun and a welcome return to an earlier Powell sound. Also, I should stop procrastinating and get on with this damn essay....
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Kung Fu Panda John Powell & Hans Zimmer

I know, I'm bordering on Jordi-obsessiveness with this score, but it is a lot of fun and a welcome return to an earlier Powell sound. Also, I should stop procrastinating and get on with this damn essay....

Yeap, powell's sound in this score is not so Over the top like in his recent years.

Im glad with Zimmer's kind of edit. Long tracks, and not too much. It's a better listening experience.

Track 10 and 11 beer training Po beer Hero beer Sacreed Pool beer

oggda Ascends cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    After listening to some Giacchino stuff, I think I can finally explain what I don´t like about it.

Most of it sounds very "dry" to me. I can´t put it in correct music terms, but I´m strongly missing any kind of "echo". I love it when a score sounds a bit like recorded in a huge cathedral, if you get what I mean, and almost all Giacchino scores sound as if recorded in my kitchen. Totally dry of any resonance.

Now, looking at Star Trek, I am getting really afraid of that new score, since especially with space stuff, I prefer echoes from here to the end of the universe. My preferred Star Trek: TMP variation is the one conducted by Ettore Stratta which sounds as if recorded in the Kölner Dom (that big thing in Cologne), if you get what I mean.

I understand that many people prefer their music without any echo, but for Trek, I dread this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Whoah, Ralph, have you heard his Medal Of Honour scores?
    These are extremely well executed and recorded, with none of the dryness I think you may mean!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think I know what you mean, and I actually tend to prefer that "echo" sound in the recording. Goldsmith's Insurrection has a very sparse recording, and I think it's great. (Erik doesn't, he's too used to listening to Raiders. wink)

A Mi:3 recording is not a good idea for a Trek score, let's hope it doesn't turn out that way. I'm sure the score itself will be great though... not to let our expectation get too high of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Kung Fu Panda - John Powell & Hans Zimmer

Well, actually I'm not, but I was starting to feel left out. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

It's what all the cool kids are listening to these day gramps, get with the times old man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote

I'll help you by saying that I don't like it as much as the others here.
    It's okay.

What's wrong with me? sad
    Kazoo
  2. NP: Standard Operating Procedure (Elfman)

cool
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. JNH's I Am Legend's EVACUATION... shocked

This cue would be great in a dark fantasy movie... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

It's what all the cool kids are listening to these day gramps, get with the times old man.

You show some proper respect, young man, or I will take my cane to you (as soon as I can put in my dentures to be able to ask for my hearing aid to locate my spectacles so I can see who went off with my rollator).

NP: that young whipper-snapper Al Jolson's record for that new Jazz Singer doohickey.
    Imagine: they added sound to image!
    It'll just be a fad, though.
    Like electricity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    I think I know what you mean, and I actually tend to prefer that "echo" sound in the recording. Goldsmith's Insurrection has a very sparse recording, and I think it's great. (Erik doesn't, he's too used to listening to Raiders. wink)

A Mi:3 recording is not a good idea for a Trek score, let's hope it doesn't turn out that way. I'm sure the score itself will be great though... not to let our expectation get too high of course.

Seems that Steven likes that concert hall sound... I'm assuming that some of his favorite recordings are the RSNO re-recordings on the Varese label. Actually, I like some of them as well... Superman: The Movie and Goldsmith's Frontiers are two of my favorites. As for Insurrection... there is way too much reverb and not enough detail. There has to be a nice balance of both... and Insurrection isn't a good example.

As for Giacchino... blame Wallin for the dryness. Like Martijn said, Giacchino's early video game work (the first four MOH and SWON) sound fantastic, wonderfully recorded and mixed by Steve Smith. Mercenaries sounds great until Wallin did the re-mix for the album. And if you want to hear the best Giacchino sounding score in the past 5 years or so listen to Peter Fuchs' recording of Cloverfield. Outstanding!

-Erik-

PS - The next Star Trek will be Wallin's fourth recording of a Star Trek score. he previously recorded Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock and The Voyage Home.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    I think I'll listen to it now...

Troy Gabriel Yared

Film music just doesn't get much better IMO.

PS You guys have a terrible memory if you can't remember I like, ney, love this score!?

Yes I did know. wink ( you also prefer Horner's as a listening experience, which, though I don't agree I can understand, and yes, I quite like that version too )

But I don't think Jordi did. wink

Not too sure about that anymore, Yared's is a lot better than Horner's.

WOW! Go Steven punk beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Yer writing it all wrong...

NP:Kung Fu Panda (2 Genius)

OTHERWISE NOBODY NOTICE AND MASSAGE YOU EGO AND LOVE OF GENIUS ZIMMER
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin

ONLY WAY KUNG FU PANDA COULD BE BETTER IS WITH BRIAN BLESSED!
    GOLDON'S ARRIVE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    seriously, do you cynics have nothing better to do than to make fun of someone else's excitement? rolleyes
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're scaring me.

The Towering Inferno (suite) John Williams (Joel McNeely and the RSNO)

Erik's right, I do love the sound of the Varese RSNO recordings, and recently I've been quite addicted to this one. I like the concert hall sound because I like to 'experience' the music, if you see what I mean?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    biggrin

ONLY WAY KUNG FU PANDA COULD BE BETTER IS WITH BRIAN BLESSED!
    GOLDON'S ARRIVE!

beer

BRIAN BLESSED

beer

Bregt, is there any chance we can have EVEN BIGGER LETTERS? These are NOT BIG ENOUGH for writing BRIAN BLESSED.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scribe wrote
    seriously, do you cynics have nothing better to do than to make fun of someone else's excitement? rolleyes

No.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

Moved on to Prince Caspian - probably not as good as I thought it was, now I've listened in a little more depth. Actually, it doesn't have any depth. Still enjoyable though.

See? Don't worry. You'll soon discover that it has nothing enjoyable innit either.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote

I'll help you by saying that I don't like it as much as the others here.
    It's okay.

What's wrong with me? sad

Me too. I feel odd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote

Hhhmmm. Cynics.

That word is very fashionable lately; pretty popular i'd say. Instantly called to characterize anyone who doesn't like Powell's standard and - at times, tiresome mickey-mousing or Zimmer's random brass and strings and choir chords;

Interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Gladiator - Hans Zimmer

I'm playing this mainly for the track "Am I Not Merciful?" which I suddenly felt a strong urge to play. The chorals are blowing me away like a hurricane!! shocked punk

And I find a sort of resemblance in the part from 5:13 into this track and Shore's Nazgul music from LoTR... anyone else?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

Hhhmmm. Cynics.

That word is very fashinable lately; pretty popular i'd say. Instantly called to characterize anyone who doesn't like Powell's standard and - at times, tiresome mickey-mousing or Zimmer's random brass and strings and choir chords;

Interesting.

You're just saying that because you're a cynic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I guess that was meant ironically?
    That would be funny (in an ironic sort of way), because cynicism is the new irony with which people generally mean sarcasm, which is quite ironic because then you get to be sarcastic about cynicism!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    That would be funny (in an ironic sort of way), because cynicism is the new irony with which people generally mean sarcasm, which is quite ironic because then you get to be sarcastic about cynicism!

Nahh, really, you think?*

*Ironic sarcasm in the form of cynicism
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

How can you be ironic about something that doesn't make sense, which makes it in itself an ironic meta-comment? To ironically comment on that would be try and negate the meaning, which was in itself ironic!
    YOU HAVE CREATED AN IRONY LOOP!
    (Well. Guess it's better than a cynicism black hole)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Thanks for clearing that up...

I was quite cynical about sarcasm so it seems that all along I was being sarcastic rather than cynical which is ironic don't you think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

How can you be ironic about something that doesn't make sense, which makes it in itself an ironic meta-comment? To ironically comment on that would be try and negate the meaning, which was in itself ironic!
    YOU HAVE CREATED AN IRONY LOOP!
    (Well. Guess it's better than a cynicism black hole)

Damn we're good.