• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2012
    heh https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/ … 8919_n.jpg
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Peter, you've made good points, all. It is hyperbole to say that his heathcare plan is the only thing he's done, though other than running up the national debt, I think that's mainly what people will remember him for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2012 edited
    christopher wrote
    lp wrote
    I'll say this. Of all of the money Obama's been accused of spending while in office, say 5 trillion, only half were carried over from Dubya's administration.

True. And I was very unhappy with what Bush was doing at the end of his second term. He was just as bad at running up the debt as Obama has been. I'm just sorry that Obama continued the trend. He talked about curbing spending when he ran in 2008 and only made it worse. Here he's talked about it again, as though we're just not supposed to think about the last four years. We'll see.

Here's the reason why: The recession. It is a huge drain and when Obama made the promise, NO ONE knew how bad it was. The bailouts, various investments in future infrastructure and other economy related items tends to affect the deficit negatively. I just don't believe that Romney, with his fuzzy, peek-a-boo 5 point plan could have done anything good beside spending more money.

lp wrote
    You say precious few, I'll say that he did enough inspite of so much opposition, meeting much resistance from everyone on the GOP side who, since his first year in office, decided to make him a one term president.

He had a lot of opposition, it's true. But you have to expect that. Every opposition party plans to make an opposing party president a one term president. He worked with congress well at first, but after a year or so just started making executive orders instead of trying to work with congress. The biggest promise I recall him making in 2008 was that he would bring unemployment down to 5%, and that if he didn't do that he didn't deserve another four years. Here we are at nearly 9% and he wins again. Just about the only thing he did was his health care plan, a plan that 49% of Americans despise, and which he waited to roll into action until 2013, just after the election. Hmm.

Unlike some of the crazies in this country, I don't think Obama is an evil man, that he was born outside the U.S., or that he's a Muslim terrorist (yes, there are quite a few people that believe all those things about him). I think Obama has good intentions. He just doesn't know how to help the economy. I think Romney would have done better. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe he couldn't. A president can only do so much to affect the economy anyway.

I like some of Obama's plans. I hope he's successful in helping our country.

The only reason I brought up the 1 term thing is that, the sentiment was so overt in their unanimous animosity that it's alarming. There was such a huge backlash against Obama's "Rockstar President" image, and along with the tidal wave of support of Tea Party candidates, it really felt like that all cross-hairs were positioned at Obama. The deck was stacked against him and he never got the chance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    plindboe wrote
    christopher wrote
    He worked with congress well at first, but after a year or so just started making executive orders instead of trying to work with congress.

I agree with some of your criticism. Worth pointing out though that Obama has on average issued fewer executive orders per year compared to all his recent predecessors. He isn't shy about issuing them, but at least the trend seems to go in the right direction.

christopher wrote
    The biggest promise I recall him making in 2008 was that he would bring unemployment down to 5%, and that if he didn't do that he didn't deserve another four years. Here we are at nearly 9% and he wins again.

So, the question is, did he make a promise that was impossible to fulfill, or did he fail to fullfil a possible promise due to his incompetence? Of course it might be a bit of both. But I'm leaning towards the former, partly because the surprisingly slow recovery from the global recession seems to bemore or less global. Grand promises from politicians seeking election are annoying enough, and I wish they wouldn't do it. But I find these things insignificant, compared to the actual political views and abilities of the person in question.

christopher wrote
    Just about the only thing he did was his health care plan

I hope you realize how hyperbolic that is. Makes me wonder how he could have signed 140 executive orders without actually doing anything. wink

christopher wrote
    A president can only do so much to affect the economy anyway.

Important point. People tend to overestimate the power of the president. The correlation between gas prices and a president's popularity is a good example of this.

Peter smile

I like you, Peter. You seem to make my points better than me. Oh wait, no. I don't like you because you make better counter arguments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If the price of gas is reflective of the president our gas in Minnesota just went up 25 cents a gallon.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2012
    sdtom wrote
    If the price of gas is reflective of the president our gas in Minnesota just went up 25 cents a gallon.
    Tom

Price of gas will go up irrespective of who is in office.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Exactly...it's got nothing to do with who's in charge my friend Tom. Oil is at the hands of the few and powerful and it's getting lesser by the day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2012 edited
    christopher wrote
    Peter, you've made good points, all. It is hyperbole to say that his heathcare plan is the only thing he's done, though other than running up the national debt, I think that's mainly what people will remember him for.

Thank you, Christopher. smile

I do think his first term will be remembered for more. Even Romney complimented Obama for several things, especially in the last debate they had. Snuffing out Osama Bin Laden, withdrawing from Iraq, saving the auto industry, sanctions on Iran and helping to get rid of Ghaddafi without commiting troops are a few things I remember Romney complimented.

I think this list is interesting. One can always debate the effects of the various accomplishments, and whether they were the right thing to do, but I do think many of them will be remembered.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    lp wrote
    I like you, Peter. You seem to make my points better than me. Oh wait, no. I don't like you because you make better counter arguments.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    plindboe wrote
    christopher wrote
    Peter, you've made good points, all. It is hyperbole to say that his heathcare plan is the only thing he's done, though other than running up the national debt, I think that's mainly what people will remember him for.

Thank you, Christopher. smile

I do think his first term will be remembered for more. Even Romney complimented Obama for several things, especially in the last debate they had. Snuffing out Osama Bin Laden, withdrawing from Iraq, saving the auto industry, sanctions on Iran and helping to get rid of Ghaddafi without commiting troops are a few things I remember Romney complimented.

Peter smile

Good list. I do think Obama did a good job on all of those things. How much of that will people remember in twenty years? What are they going to teach in history classes about Obama's first term? Definitely Iraq and Bin Laden. Healthcare. I'm not sure any of the rest of that will make the list. Which is not to say he didn't do a good job, I just don't know how much of it will stick.

I do need to amend my previous comment about what people will remember him for. Obviously I should have said what people will remember from his first term. He'll probably do a few more things in the next four years smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the massive 'appeal' he has abroad, not unimportant considering during the Bush era the administration (and as a result the US) was all but liked. I'd say Obama is the most liked president since Kennedy. Heck, he even got a nobel peace price for his international status. He seems to inspire a lot of people and teleprompter or not, has probably the best speech delivery any president had.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The oil issue is absolutely insane. My daughter has a hybrid and her mileage is astounding as she does a lot of non freeway driving. When you think about how antiquated the gasoline engine is I for one wonder if the oil companies also have an unwritten bargain with the auto manufacturers.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    "If aliens did visit us, I'd be embarrassed to tell them we still dig up fossil fuels." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    "If aliens did visit us, I'd be embarrassed to tell them we still dig up fossil fuels." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

applause
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
  2. sdtom wrote
    The oil issue is absolutely insane. My daughter has a hybrid and her mileage is astounding as she does a lot of non freeway driving. When you think about how antiquated the gasoline engine is I for one wonder if the oil companies also have an unwritten bargain with the auto manufacturers.
    Tom smile

They certainly do! I have always assumed that the optimal mileage for an engine is at 56mph because that's roughly the freeway speed limit in the US.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2012
    Steven wrote

Well said. I'm going to post this one on facebook.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2012
    Thank goodness Obama won. I would hate for the Republicans to have succeeded in their stated #1 goal of making him a one-term president by becoming terrible obstructionists, putting party ahead of country. It has been reprehensible to watch (and if it had worked, the Democrats may have tried the same thing).

Obama's spending has increased by the least amount of any president in recent memory. The increase in the national debt is in large part from a reduction of revenues (less taxes from less people working, etc). That was a product of poor handling of the economy from his predecessor.

Add to that the opposition blocking untold number of bills that would spur jobs, and it cannot be said with a straight face that Obama is responsible for the still high unemployment (which is under 8% now) and the unsustainable increase in the national debt.

I did not care for Romney. He held just about every position on the same issues so I couldn't tell if he was a moderate that I could live with or an extreme right-winger that should be feared. I didn't trust him and while all political ads test the truth, those from his campaign and his billionaire backers stretched the truth further and when called out by fact checkers...stayed on the bloody air. They doubled down on the lies. Bad move.

I feel bad for him, but better for America (and the world) now that Obama will have 8 years to clean up what took a lot more than 8 years to screw up.
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2012
    How do people like this even almost become president?

What's that famous quote? The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think? Yeah. That's about right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2012
    Demetris wrote
    And then they bark at me for calling him a retard

Ah, but as buttfucking retarded as they are, they're his religious beliefs and should be respected without question.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2012
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Steven wrote
    How do people like this even almost become president?

What's that famous quote? The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think? Yeah. That's about right.

It is a democracy and right or wrong they're entitled to a vote.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Personally I don't want someone who doesn't have a good grip on reality with that amount of power... but hey ho, that's just me I suppose.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I agree with you Steven but that isn't how democracy works.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indeedy. 'tis a shame...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Exactly, it gives people like this the right to vote wink

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162- … olice-say/