• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Shirley Bassey was on the show, when she performed David Arnold was in the band on rythm guitar.

Yup, I saw it. Nice song, and nicely performed. By the way: there's a documentary on Bassey tonight on BBC 1.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks for the reminder beer

I would expect there to be contributions from the likes of Barry and Arnold.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I particularly like the "TV Expert of The Week" strand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3Ut-omrLE

I love these 'no shit Sherlock' moments biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009
    fommes wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Shirley Bassey was on the show, when she performed David Arnold was in the band on rythm guitar.

Yup, I saw it. Nice song, and nicely performed. By the way: there's a documentary on Bassey tonight on BBC 1.

Did anyone catch the program Imagine on BBC 1 last night? Shirley Bassey was on great form and David Arnold featured a lot in the program, some great behind the scenes footage of recording the new songs for her album The Performance nicely concentrating on the songs by John Barry / Don Black and Arnold / Black plus Gary Barlow from Take That and Neil Tennent from the Pet Shop Boys.

Quite an eye opener really. Try and catch it if you get the chance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I'll watch this tonight on iPlayer. Cheers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Good programme! Surprisingly revealing. I rather liked the sound of some of those arrangements and it's great to see Bassey still on top form. Nice to see John Barry too. smile

Do you have the album Tim?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I had a dream I visited David Arnold at his home last night, and he took me for a drive in his DeLorean. For some reason he decided to put on his own music in the car from Tomorrow Never Dies and started singing like Shirley Bassey.

I spend far too much time on this forum.
  1. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    I had a dream I visited David Arnold at his home last night, and he took me for a drive in his DeLorean. For some reason he decided to put on his own music in the car from Tomorrow Never Dies and started singing like Shirley Bassey.

I've had that dream too!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

I've had that dream too!

I'm not surprised.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009
    LSH wrote
    Good programme! Surprisingly revealing. I rather liked the sound of some of those arrangements and it's great to see Bassey still on top form. Nice to see John Barry too. smile

Do you have the album Tim?

No I don't but I like what I've heard.
  2. Has anybody heard this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Liy0rR3fkQ0

I think I prefer this one to the official song.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009
    I prefer the Chris Cornell/David Arnold song. Bassey's voice is not for me...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, I don't agree. I think it's magnificently old-skool!
    And I think she still has a killer voice. It would have been a great crossover/tip of the hat to Bond Before... which I guess may well be the reason it was rejected: the clear reboot and all (even though I'm not sure why they retained the arty title sequence and David Arnold then...).

Does anyone have the story behind the rejection of dame Bassey?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, never mind. I just found out this was just a sketch by Arnold. An initial idea for a title song, which he then continued to propose to Bassey well after Quantum Of Solace was released. dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    It wasn't rejected, they just went with somebody popular and cool, and Arnold didn't finish the song he had begun writing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Oh, I don't agree. I think it's magnificently old-skool!
    And I think she still has a killer voice. It would have been a great crossover/tip of the hat to Bond Before... which I guess may well be the reason it was rejected: the clear reboot and all (even though I'm not sure why they retained the arty title sequence and David Arnold then...).

Does anyone have the story behind the rejection of dame Bassey?

I mentioned this about a month ago on another thread.

Agree with what you say Martijn and the song exudes pure class.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think she has a fantastic voice, and perfect for old-skool Bond... I just don't like it. shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I think she has a fantastic voice, and perfect for old-skool Bond... I just don't like it. shame

I guess you can't say fairer than that.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009 edited
    Is is available on CD somewhere or did it just leak out?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Is is available on CD somewhere or did it just leak out?

It's on Bassey's new album ( produced by David Arnold ) called The Performance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm seriously, seriously thinking about editing that into my Best Of Bond playlist.
    Heck, I have no one to answer to in matters of authenticity than myself, and I'm a bit of a solipsist anyway at the best of times.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm not even thinking about it. That's going straight into my Bond collection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Good man! applause
  3. I'm listening to this number for the first time. When it started I wasn't going to like it. But by the end of it... shocked

As Martijn says, it harkens back to the older style of songs and it just seeps into your pores.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Plus it actually fits into the QoS score nicely and it's all based off that little motif. The missing piece of the puzzle has been found.

Now only if his song for Die Another Day was recorded...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I'm seriously, seriously thinking about editing that into my Best Of Bond playlist.
    Heck, I have no one to answer to in matters of authenticity than myself, and I'm a bit of a solipsist anyway at the best of times.

Did you know Bassey recorded an unused theme song for THUNDERBALL.

Dionne Warwick also recorded the song with the exact same arrangement and was also unused.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, I think you mentioned that before.
    I always felt that Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was more of a secondary theme rather than just another cue. This background info -as Ant already coined the phrase- puts that piece of the puzzle firmly in place,
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    That song was on an album, no? I knew it as soon as I heard it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009
    I LOVE that Arnold/Bassey song, no matter how many times I've heard it since it was recorded!
    I am extremely serious.