• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010
    I do like traveling, and I do enjoy spending time doing it.... but there are simply some places I'd like to get too faster than other places...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010 edited
    I'd choose plane if I could fly it, but as a passenger a train is more appealing to me. (Especially those epic train journeys across entire continents. I'd love to do that one day.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No. (answer to the last page's question)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    .......oh and add "safer" to the list of advantages of the plane over any other transportation medium out there.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I'd choose plane if I could fly it, but as a passenger a train is more appealing to me. (Especially those epic train journeys across entire continents. I'd love to do that one day.)

Exactly! beer

In any case, plane travel is going backwards, why does it still take 24 hours to fly UK to Australia, fuck the comfort ( well, not completely wink ) I want a plane that does it supersonic and gets me there before I draw a pension.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    .......oh and add "safer" to the list of advantages of the plane over any other transportation medium out there.

Depends on what statistics and variables you decide to use.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I didn't search the theme in much depth, but from what i know and which is generally known, i was under the impression plane travelling IS the safest way. But even if not, which i strongly doubt, for me it's the most exciting...flying cannot be compared with any other means of travelling for me. That feeling.......
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Like I said: some places you just need to get to faster than others.
    Teh plane = Teh Win.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    I didn't search the theme in much depth, but from what i know and which is generally known, i was under the impression plane travelling IS the safest way. But even if not, which i strongly doubt, for me it's the most exciting...flying cannot be compared with any other means of travelling for me. That feeling.......

I think the statistics that prove its safety record are based on passenger-to-distance traveled. But bear in mind that the average person makes far less journeys by plane than they do by car and train. It really depends on how you look at the statistics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Like I said: some places you just need to get to faster than others.
    Teh plane = Teh Win.

I prefer D's outlook:

Planes = Awesome (therefore everything else sucks)

Greeks. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Most reliable statistic would be simply accidents per departure, which carries a clearly translatable ratio.
    In that statistic, flying still seems pretty: numbers (in the USA!) for 2008 show 0.2 fatalities per one million departures for airplane travel (so that's 1 in five million).

I'd love to see that compared to train travel, though (it seems pretty self evident that driving is way more accident prone in this particular statistical analysis).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Planes = Awesome (therefore everything else sucks)

Greeks. biggrin

Greeks = awesome.

Well.
    Some Greeks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Driving freaks the shit out of me. And i drive for 10 years now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I've seen Greeks drive.
    I don't blame you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I wouldn't blame you for thinking that either.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Donkey's freak the shit out of me. But I'd still rather be unexpectedly killed by one of those than in a plane crash.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    A plane crash most probably won't happen to you, even if you tried it for as long as a lifetime (see statistics) wink Now with a donkey, things are more dangerous, esp. if you have a firm, round ass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    A plane crash most probably won't happen to you, even if you tried it for as long as a lifetime (see statistics) wink

Tell that to those who've died in a plane crash.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I can't, i am busy telling that to those who die in cars and motorbikes. I am booked for a lifetime. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh I know, I wasn't disagreeing with you. Planes I'm sure are statistically the safest mode of transport.... but statistics won't help you if and when a plane does crash. (But then if a car crashes, fewer people die than if a plane crashes. But then there are far more cars on the road than there are planes in the sky. Swings and roundabouts really.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Everything is true.

A plane is an easy way of travelling. It also throws away the travelling part, because you wait in a large hall, go up, see some clouds, try to sleep or look at a movie/hostess, and arrive at your destination, followed by a rush to the luggage elevator and a run to get out asap.

Not that I have travelled a lot by train, but the few long train trips I did (three of which were about 12 hours or more) were a lot more fun. Sure, there's waiting and no hostesses, but there's at least a view and the feeling of travelling. dizzy Like Steven said, one of these intercontinental train trips would be awesome. Or the train from Montréal to the other side of Canada. cool

Which doesn't mean I hate planes. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Oh I know, I wasn't disagreeing with you. Planes I'm sure are statistically the safest mode of transport.... but statistics won't help you if and when a plane does crash. (But then if a car crashes, fewer people die than if a plane crashes. But then there are far more cars on the road than there are planes in the sky. Swings and roundabouts really.)

Thing is that plane crashes are more awe-inspiring. They tend to shock us.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Exactly! beer

In any case, plane travel is going backwards, why does it still take 24 hours to fly UK to Australia, fuck the comfort ( well, not completely wink ) I want a plane that does it supersonic and gets me there before I draw a pension.

I do LOVE aircraft, I just find long haul a chore but a necessary inconvenience.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Thing is that plane crashes are more awe-inspiring. They tend to shock us.

True that. According to these statistics on wikipedia (yes, I know, wikipedia rolleyes ), air travel is 62 times safer than car travel. It's also 4.2 times safer. And also 2.9 times less safe. So although I think statistics do have something to say, I don't take them as the word of God.

Basically, shit happens.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    It's a Bank holiday Monday here. cool

I'm off to the pub tonight and I'll be entering the pool comp.

Sorry to be boring and predictable.....

But I won! punk cool

I forgot to mention but, on my walk home from the pub I saw a fox running towards me but veered off quickly when it saw me, nothing strange about that as there are loads of foxes in the area I live, what was a bit upsetting was that it had a fluffy white bunny rabbit in it's mouth eat, looking very dead too sad , I just bet that come the morning and some poor kid is going to be very upset to find Thumper's cage broken and bloodied.

RIP bunny angelic
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    looking very dead

Hmmm....that usually happens when a fox has a fluffy white bunny rabbit in it's mouth tongue
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I say, you rotter, Pawel, laughing at the demise of a poor rabbit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010
    I'm leaving Aberdeen tomorrow morning and I'm already too drunk to start packing. shame
  2. LSH wrote
    I'm leaving Aberdeen tomorrow morning and I'm already too drunk to start packing. shame

biggrin

And I'm getting there too (good old Old Speckled Hen!), so I can't help. Sorry!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn