• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2008
    NP : THE KISS ( and other movements ) - Michael Nyman

My all time favourite Nyman album ( yes, over all his film scores ), not a bad track here but the highlight is the pulsing, rhythmic unstoppable Water Dances which to me always conjours music for trains.............love it! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    omaha wrote
    Right now I'm listening to The Only Moment We Were Alone by Explosions In the Sky. Nice relaxing bit, good for studying.

Yes, EITS rules! Love their sound.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    omaha wrote
    Right now I'm listening to The Only Moment We Were Alone by Explosions In the Sky. Nice relaxing bit, good for studying.

Never heard of them? Description please.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    omaha wrote

Never heard of them? Description please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzj-ksNO … re=related
    what better way than to hear them
    ignore the video, looks like some dude just made a music video

-Used at the beginning of the new trailer to Australia
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2008
    Yup, EITS is perhaps the foremost proponent of the "post-rock" sound - laidback rock with many acoustic elements (guitars and drums, in particular), even with several long instrumental parts. Elfman's superb THE KINGDOM was inspired by this sound, as the director is quite a big fan. Other examples include Tortoise, Sigur Ros and Mogwai. Some have drawn a line to minimalist music, and that's fair, but there are quite a lot of differences too. It doesn't have the same amount of repeating loops.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: 'And then I was in time again' - Concerto for Viola and Orchestra (Tigran Mansurian - soloist Kim Kashkashian)

Mansurian is one of the major figures in late 20th century Armenian 'classical' music. This work is full of sharp edges, dexterity and energy. Reminiscent of Corigliano's avante-garde works for string orchestra. It inspires my respect more than my admiration, but it's a great piece of work. Comes with several other Mansurian compositions on a 2-disc set from ECM called MONODIA. The title of the work - a very haunting phrase - is apparently a quote from Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. NP: Ayre (Osvaldo Golijov - soloist Dawn Upshaw, performed by The Andalusian Dogs, incl. Gustavo Santaolalla)

Intense, haunting collection of modern folk songs in different languages, written by Golijov and performed by some top flight artists. More crossover than classical, but that could be said of a lot of Golijov's work.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2008
    NP: GREATEST HITS (Santana)

Wonderful Latin bluesrock with the master guitarist and some ultra-cool percussive riffs. It's the classic white dove album.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    ...and straight over to:

NP: JUAN DARIEN - A CARNIVAL MASS (Elliot Goldenthal)

Weird tonalities, exotic and temperamental!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Nice choices. I do like Goldenthal's concert pieces/opera/theatre.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2008 edited
    NP : SYMPHONY # 1 - David Bedford

A fabulous work from Mike Oldfield's one time collaborater ( he orchestrated his early albums as well as the score for The Killing Fields ), it's only 18 miutes long but not a moment is wasted in this highly listenable work that I've returned to time and time again. cool
  4. Will get it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Will get it!

beer

I hope you won't be disappointed Pawel.

It also contains a longer piece ( 30 mins plus ) called 12 Hours of Sunset, a very minimalist choral / orchestral piece that could easily be tracked to the cosmic sequence of 2001 A Space Odyysey though it's nowhere near as bleak as Ligetti.

The Symphony # 1 is very film music like. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Wonderful Latin bluesrock with the master guitarist and some ultra-cool percussive riffs. It's the classic white dove album.

I kind of felt like playing this today but it's such miserable weather it didn't really warrant it. slant ( as you know, when the sun is out Santana is a must cool ).

NP : SOLID AIR - John Martyn

Brilliant rock / folk / blues, and one of my all time favourite albums.

If you wanna impress the "chicks" you can't do much better than this, I've never known a woman who didn't like this album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I kind of felt like playing this today but it's such miserable weather it didn't really warrant it. slant ( as you know, when the sun is out Santana is a must cool ).

He is. And we actually had pretty nice autumn weather here today, at least the first part. I played the CD with my balcony door open and while cleaning my apartment. Triple freshness - fresh air, fresh smell of soap and fresh music on the stereo! cool
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    ...and straight over to:

Excellent work; i prefer vietnam oratorio though
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote
    ...and straight over to:

Excellent work; i prefer vietnam oratorio though

Yup! As I'm going through my Goldenthal collection chronologically and have now reached the concert works, that one is next in line!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Then pump up the volume mate, that one is MASSIVE!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

NP : SOLID AIR - John Martyn

Brilliant rock / folk / blues, and one of my all time favourite albums.

If you wanna impress the "chicks" you can't do much better than this, I've never known a woman who didn't like this album.

Just had to, had to play it again! biggrin cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE DOORS - The Doors

Brilliant! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : 1812 OVERTURE - You really should know this composers name

I shouldn't have to say anything punk
  5. Eeee, Tchaikovsky?> biggrin

Me want a cookie...
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008
    Timmer wrote

A fabulous work from Mike Oldfield's one time collaborater ( he orchestrated his early albums as well as the score for The Killing Fields ), it's only 18 miutes long but not a moment is wasted in this highly listenable work that I've returned to time and time again. cool

Bedford isn't always "easy" to listen to, challenges us and brings us in areas seldom heard. This symphony is inspiring music. Speaking of Mike Oldfield, his Music of the Spheres is still way up there in this year most played disc. Thanks to Lang Lang chops and Karl Jenkins orchestrations!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If you all want some more sunshine come to San Diego. You'll be in for anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks of 90-60 weather with nothing but sun, no clouds. I only hope the damn fires stay away this year.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tintin wrote
    Timmer wrote

Bedford isn't always "easy" to listen to, challenges us and brings us in areas seldom heard. This symphony is inspiring music. Speaking of Mike Oldfield, his Music of the Spheres is still way up there in this year most played disc. Thanks to Lang Lang chops and Karl Jenkins orchestrations!

I love MUSIC OF THE SPHERES. No idea which page it's on but there was talk about it around the time it was released on this very thread.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DO IT YOURSELF - Ian Dury & The Blockheads

Brilliant album from this incredibly talented and much missed innovative artist. I'm hard pressed to think of a band that combines jazz / funk / Reggae & Rock n' Roll more effectively, the Blockheads were dynamite on stage and I was lucky enough to have seen them live twice.
  6. Timmer wrote
    Tintin wrote
    Timmer wrote

I love MUSIC OF THE SPHERES. No idea which page it's on but there was talk about it around the time it was released on this very thread.

Indeed, an amazing album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2008
    NP : SYMPHONY # 5 - Ludvig Van Beethoven

Dah Dah Dah DAAAAAHHHH cool
  7. Copycat biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Copycat biggrin

Fair do guv'nor you got me bang to rights! shame

immitation is the sincerest form of flattery wink