• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2008
    Well, to be fair, even with RING being about 4 times longer, it took old Dicky 21 years to finish it, with Shore just having over three. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Korngold would have been that person with the master orchestrator Hugo.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Some people might think LOTR work is one of the greater compositions ever written but come on. It doesn't hold a candle to Ring.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't think anyone in his right mind would liken a film score to Wagner's ring cycle.
    Both are music, and there's something to do with a ring...and that's where any meaningful comparison ends.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I don't think anyone in his right mind would liken a film score to Wagner's ring cycle.
    Both are music, and there's something to do with a ring...and that's where any meaningful comparison ends.

Indeed, a very unfair comparison.

One's a work of pure genius.

The other is Wagner's Ring cycle.

wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Martijn wrote

Well, shall we say then that very few of the Shore acolytes around (mostly Tolkien fans with a new subject of adoration) are not in their right mind? And that Shore himself and the PR department of Reprise Records are having a lend of themselves? wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think SHore is way too level-headed to have suggested anything of the kind in other than an ironic or jocular fashion. Obviously the fact that both works involve rings makes any comparison enticing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2008
    NP: Forwards - The Egg
    Slightly estranging psychedelic rock-tronic dance-funk... It's very good, very relaxing and very enjoyable, but maybe not the kind of music best fitted to already feeling a little out of sorts.
    Let's see if I can find summat a little bit more uplifting.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Slightly estranging psychedelic rock-tronic dance-funk... It's very good, very relaxing and very enjoyable, but maybe not the kind of music best fitted to already feeling a little out of sorts.

I didn't know you had this album too Martijn? It's an excellent album though I agree it's not for when you are "a little out of sorts".

I've seen them play on numerous times, they often do 'back stage' gigs and site crew parties at Glastonbury Fest ( one of many perks for being crew cool ), really nice bunch of people too.

If you ever get a chance to see them live please do so! A much more frantic hard edge and nothing like the more 'chilled' vibe of the album, these guys can play like motherfuckers and can cook up a storm.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: Enchantment: Beyond the Horizon (Silk Road Ensemble)

Kayhan Kalhor's 'Mountains are far away', his interpretation of 'Tarang (currents)', and Zhao Jiping's two compositions - 'Distant Valleys are Green' and 'Sacred Cloud Music' are the standouts of this wonderful album from the deservedly-acclaimed ensemble.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008
    NP: Flowers of the Forest...Richard Rodney Bennett
    Performed by Foden's Richardson Band it really exposes the talent of Bennett.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

I didn't know you had this album too Martijn? It's an excellent album though I agree it's not for when you are "a little out of sorts".

I've seen them play on numerous times, they often do 'back stage' gigs and site crew parties at Glastonbury Fest ( one of many perks for being crew cool ), really nice bunch of people too.

If you ever get a chance to see them live please do so! A much more frantic hard edge and nothing like the more 'chilled' vibe of the album, these guys can play like motherfuckers and can cook up a storm.

NP : FORWARDS - The Egg

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    psychedelic rock-tronic dance funk? Your kidding of course
    thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

NP : FORWARDS - The Egg

cool

Martijn, ever heard any OZRIC TENTACLES?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2008
    John Tavener's CHANTICLEER: Lamentations and Praises

What an absolutely captivating and solemn blend of Buzantine music and chants with Western musical culture. Magnificent.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    OSVALDO GOLIJOV - Ainadamar: Fountain of Tears

First listen ... shocked
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    OSVALDO GOLIJOV - Ainadamar: Fountain of Tears

First listen ... shocked

I haven't heard this one - good? Apparently he gets Dawn Upshaw singing in registers she's never really explored before.

Of his formal compositions, my favourites are the Three Songs, The Dreams and Prayers of Isaac the Blind and the cello piece 'Mariel'. I'm hoping his Yo Yo Ma piece 'Azul' will get a release soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Very good, quite excellent vocals performances, expanded sound canvas and prominent spanish influences, lots of musical dramaturgy and colorful melodies. Quite a modern take on opera, up to date, fresh and vibrant and certainly not tiring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2008
    NP: EPOCH: AN AMERICAN DANCE SYMPHONY...George Frederick McKay

This is my next selection for review.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2008 edited
    NP : POMP and CIRCUMSTANCE MARCHES #'s 1 - 5 - Edward Elgar

Music don't come more stirring and patriotic than this.

I believe it was Elgar's wish that the first march, better known to the public as Land of Hope and Glory, never become the British National Anthem, a shame really as 'God Save The Queen' is a miserable old dirge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2008
    NP: The Sensual World - Kate Bush

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    NP: The Sensual World - Kate Bush

cool

You sir have great taste, Kate Bush is genius!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    You sir speak the truth.

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2008 edited
    Yeah, indeed; the validity of what you're saying here is outrightly undisputed
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    You sir have great taste...

I was referring mainly to this bit.

wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2008 edited
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote
    You sir have great taste...

I was referring mainly to this bit.

wink

Indeed! beer What else could I have been referring to?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, indeed; the validity of what you're saying here is outrightly undisputed

Well, if you will let your girlfriend take pictures D !? wink

you were asking for that one, no offence intended to you or your beloved smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2008
    Hahah good one but the point here is how Kate Bush actually sucks tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hahah good one but the point here is how Kate Bush actually sucks tongue

She does!? biggrin lick

well, 20 years ago maybe
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Right now I'm listening to The Only Moment We Were Alone by Explosions In the Sky. Nice relaxing bit, good for studying.