• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2008
    NP: Symphony No. 5 - Ludwig van Beethoven

We're playing this in youth orchestra. Very good, famous work. The first and fourth movements are by far my favorites.
  1. TATATATAAAAA

Yeah, it's a really great work. My favorite Beethoven cue is actually the Egmont overture, rather overlooked, I think.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    TATATATAAAAA

rolleyes biggrin
  2. What? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What? biggrin

Nothing, nothing at all... biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    William wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What? biggrin

Nothing, nothing at all... biggrin

I thought it was funny! Keep it up, it could be turned into a play? smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    William: What do you wanna do tonight, Pawel?
    Pawel: I dunno, William, TA TA TA TAAAA

Hmmm... Chayefsky meets Ionesco...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Chambao - Pokito A Poko

Flamenco meets JazzFusion with a bit of acid funk.
    Heh. I DO love eclectic stuff like this. biggrin

Apparently Chambao are totally the in and happening thing in the south of Spain with their very infectious folk-fusion music...and I can well see why! It's great seeing an already great musical tradition being carried forward into the 21st century. Would love to see them live one day.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Martijn wrote

Hmmm... Chayefsky meets Ionesco...

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Chambao - Pokito A Poko

Flamenco meets JazzFusion with a bit of acid funk.
    Heh. I DO love eclectic stuff like this. biggrin

Apparently Chambao are totally the in and happening thing in the south of Spain with their very infectious folk-fusion music...and I can well see why! It's great seeing an already great musical tradition being carried forward into the 21st century. Would love to see them live one day.

I like the sound of this ( not litterally....I haven't heard it wink ), I must check it out.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAND UP (Jethro Tull)

Folk-prog doesn't come much better than this! Awesome cover too!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Martijn wrote

lol
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2008
    NP : SYMPHONY # 6 - Ralph Vaughan Williams

I must remember to write this one up in Steven's 'Classical Music' thread, for now I intend to turn the computer off and savour true genius without any interruptions.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2008 edited
    NP : IF THIS BASS COULD TALK - Stanley Clarke

Superbly melodic jazz album played brilliantly by some of the worlds greatest musicians cool

Includes a really good version of Mingus's Goodbye Pork Pie Hat done in a very 'Weather Report' style arrangement.

Heard this Tom? I'd highly recommend it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2008
    NP: EPOCH: AN AMERICAN DANCE SYMPHONY...George Frederick McKay

This is a world premiere recording of a 70 year+ forgotten work. I was quite impressed with the University of Kentucky Symphony Orchestra and the women choir.

Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : Stevie Wonder

A compilation I made of all his good stuff...pre 1980. The man's a genius!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'll have to look into it
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2008
    NP: FLOWERS OF THE FOREST: REFLECTIONS ON A SCOTTISH FOLK SONGRichard Rodney Bennett

Bennett is quite the all around composer. This recording was by Foden's Richardson Band and recorded on the NMC label.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2008 edited
    NP : SOFT ON THE INSIDE - Andy Shepperd

Swinging big band jazz, very modern but also melodic, in the Miles Davis sense of the word Andy Shepperd is a sax playing motherfucker!

Sublime to the nth degree this album is kicking! punk

EDIT: the first track is 14 minutes of pure nirvana, Shepperd's sax playing would make David Sanborn weep and throw his instrument away in the waste bin.
  4. NP: 'Ambush from Ten Sides' - NEW IMPOSSIBILITIES - Silk Road Ensemble

This work for orchestra and selected soloists (cello, pipa) is a fantastic piece of program music. The height of the ambush beats most attempts film composers have made to do the 'epic Chinese action cue'.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2008
    Not familiar with Silk Road Ensemble.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : English, Irish, Welsh, Scottish etc Dances - Malcolm Arnold

One of my favourite works by Arnold, a lot of short folk pieces for orchestra, wonderful, life affirming music that has always brought me much joy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've also heard some of his Scottish Dances and find them most pleasant.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SPITFIRE PRELUDE & FUGUE - Sir William Walton

Adapted from his film score The First of The Few, fabulous music with a real urgency to it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2008
    NP : ETERNAL ECHOES - John Barry

Very underrated imo, this is a lovely album, maybe not as good as 'Beyondness' but still better than most of the crap out there now.
  5. 'Elegy' is probably the best track on that album.
    Apparently his demo theme for Neil Jordan's film THE END OF THE AFFAIR is presented somewhere on the album - I've long been curious which track it was.

NP: The 'RING' without words (Lorin Maazel, Berlin Philharmoniker)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    'Elegy' is probably the best track on that album.
    Apparently his demo theme for Neil Jordan's film THE END OF THE AFFAIR is presented somewhere on the album - I've long been curious which track it was.

I've heard that too but I've no idea what track it could be either? Though there's a few you could safely rule out.

The 'RING' witout words?????? Exactly what it says I presume? wink
  6. Yes, that's what it is! The highlight is of course the closing minutes of 'Immolation', which are masterful.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2008
    NP : LA MER - Claude Debussy

Just so damn brilliantly orchestrated, I've been on a Debussy kick for some weeks now and it's very fulfilling.
  7. franz_conrad wrote

Oh man, listening to this again, I'm just overwhelmed by the power of Wagner's music. I now and then wonder what it would have been like if someone more likely to take a leaf from Wagner's orchestration book had written the music of the LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy. (Shore's maze of motifs is impressive, but when you wipe out the melodic parts, you're often left with the left hand part of a piece written on piano.)