• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2008
    sdtom wrote
    NP: Symphony #4 in F Minor--Vaughan Williams

My version is with the N.Y. Philharmonic conducted by Leonard Bernstein. While his Sinfonia Antarctica will forever remain one of my all time favorite works this symphony like his others are all excellent.

It's an incredible work Tom, and with such a violent begining that might shock anyone who was only used to his more 'pastoral' works.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    NP : TUBULAR BELLS - Mike Oldfield

If memory serves, Oldfield was 19 years old when he did this. Astonishing! shocked

The original and still brilliant! cool

Wow! 19 years.

Heard this once. Very nice.

He uses that same pattern a bit in Music of the Spheres, or is that just me?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : TUBULAR BELLS - Mike Oldfield

If memory serves, Oldfield was 19 years old when he did this. Astonishing! shocked

The original and still brilliant! cool

Wow! 19 years.

Heard this once. Very nice.

He uses that same pattern a bit in Music of the Spheres, or is that just me?

Definitely uses a similar rhythm and pattern in Spheres!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Symphony No. 7 "Sinfonia Antarctica"--Vaughan Williams

For any readers who don't know this was the music used in the film Scott of the Antarctic and is my top ten scores of all time. This is one that I could take to the desert island and listen to on a daily basis and never get tired of it. This work, at least in my opinion, takes a ranking with some of the great classical works of all time also.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    NP: Symphony No. 7 "Sinfonia Antarctica"--Vaughan Williams

For any readers who don't know this was the music used in the film Scott of the Antarctic and is my top ten scores of all time. This is one that I could take to the desert island and listen to on a daily basis and never get tired of it. This work, at least in my opinion, takes a ranking with some of the great classical works of all time also.

beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Heard last night: DA PACEM - Arvo Pärt

Even though I'm not very fond of the sound of the organ when used this way, I loved the experience. The choir sounds amazing, the texts are sacred (literally) and the composition is like they are ages old. Perfectly peaceful.
  1. Tim, you must give us something to go on with this new Mike Oldfield album. If you have to compare it to the orchestral writing of any film composer?

BobdH wrote
    Heard last night: DA PACEM - Arvo Pärt

Even though I'm not very fond of the sound of the organ when used this way, I loved the experience. The choir sounds amazing, the texts are sacred (literally) and the composition is like they are ages old. Perfectly peaceful.

I believe this is the piece Zimmer quotes very obviously at the opening of THE THIN RED LINE. (Is it also known as "Pace in Pace"?)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    I believe this is the piece Zimmer quotes very obviously at the opening of THE THIN RED LINE. (Is it also known as "Pace in Pace"?)

As fas as I know, The Thin Red Line opens with Ave Maria from Schubert. Arvo Pärt's Annum per Annum is also featured in the very first moments, if I recall correctly, but that's not on the Da Pacem CD. Or do you mean the opening of the soundtrack? As far as I know, this isn't Pace in Pace... wasn't that another composition of him?
  2. Actually, I'm thinking of ANNUM PER ANNUM, not PACE IN PACE, which is (I think) another composition, but possibly not by Part.

The film of THE THIN RED LINE does open with the quote from ANNUM PER ANNUM though, same as the soundtrack. It's the shot of the crocodile. It then shifts to some harp-and-string-based piece by Zimmer, before a segue into Gabriel Faure's REQUIEM.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2008
    Yeah... In Paradisum... that's what I meant shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2008
    MIKE OLDFIELD - music of the spheres

"Harbinger"........ shocked shocked
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Say more! Solid comparisons are sought.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2008 edited
    It's got a driving main theme which is very melodic and has a song-like quality, and goes through various renditions throughout the whole album, bonding everything together. The whole work is particularly string-driven, festive, deeply melodic with catchy themes and instantly memorable motifs and simple. Evokes ADIEMUS and KARL JENKINS at places but it's even simpler and more approachable, also contains choir, sopranos, trumpets, percussion, lots of piano, synths, acoustic guitar, bells.

Nothing particularly mind-blowing or ground-breaking at all but it is a well-spirited easy-listen, feel-good and melodic orchestral music, an enjoyable listening experience.

Look over at the facebook group for more wink

I am not sure you'll like it though, it's too simple in comparison with what you usually like to listen to.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2008
    NP : PLAYING BY HEART - John Barry

Sweet! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP:--The Red Poppy--Gliere

Look for a review of this work on my site in the next couple of days. I think many of you would find it interesting with its penatonic tunes and wonderful melodies. Written in 27 it is almost the complete opposite of Rite of Spring and Firebird.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

Sweet! cool

But, isn't it a film score? (I know some of it wasn't used... but some of it was!)

In any case, it's one of my favourite Barry albums, and the finale cue (which did survive in the film) is a magnificent piece of film scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPat
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2008
    Taking the first (short) break from film scores in a long time, and this with:

Carmen - Georges Bizet

Bliss cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Sweet! cool

But, isn't it a film score? (I know some of it wasn't used... but some of it was!)

In any case, it's one of my favourite Barry albums, and the finale cue (which did survive in the film) is a magnificent piece of film scoring.

I reckon so < Clint Eastwood mode

Either way it's a fantastic late night chill out album, works perfectly with the Chet Baker tracks too cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2008
    NP : THERE & BACK - Jeff Beck

A purely instrumental album, and my favourite purely instrumental rock album ever! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2008 edited
    NP : THE CAT - Jimmy Smith

Martijn, you heard this one? I hope so, it's fooking brill! punk cool

p.s. I wanted to keep the album you sent me till Christmas but my mate saw it so I've GOT to play it next time he calls....he's a big jazz fan but has never heard it! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2008
    NP : PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION - Modest Mussorgsky

Magnificent work.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2008
    NP : SYMPHONY # 3 'PASTORAL' - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Utterly sublime work, if you're not moved by the trumpet solo in the second movement then you must be dead.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2008
    NP : SYMPHONY # 5 - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Sublime!
  4. NP: Music for 18 Musicians (Steve Reich)

Good music to work to.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Music for 18 Musicians (Steve Reich)

Good music to work to.

It's great! You should enthuse about it to Martijn as he'd absolutely adore it biggrin

NP : LOW - David Bowie

Another album from my distant past, it also includes a collaboration with Brian Eno and was later turned into the "classical work" as the 'Low Symphony' by Philip Glass.

Bowie is one of the greatest popular and influentia music artists ever IMO.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2008
    NP : CHRISTUS APOLLO - Jerry Goldsmith

Thank the gods Goldsmith became a film composer and not a "serious" composer, this is awful and I'm not sure how much more I can endure?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've had enough of that! ^

NP : ON THE LAST FRONTIER - Einojuhani Rautavaara

A big dark choral / orchestral forboding work that IMO is gorgeous though it's not an easy listen.

I love it! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SYMPHONY # 7 'ANTARTICA' - Ralph Vaughan Williams

This version is by Bernard Haitink and the LSO.

Awesome! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What a wonderful work Tim!!!!!! But you spell it antarctica.

NP: Poem of Ecstasy (Symphony No. 4)---Scriabian

My recording is a LP transfer to cassette tape, an RCA recording featuring Ormandy and the Philadelphia with Gilbert Johnson as the featured trumpet.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote
    What a wonderful work Tim!!!!!! But you spell it antarctica.

NP: Poem of Ecstasy (Symphony No. 4)---Scriabian

My recording is a LP transfer to cassette tape, an RCA recording featuring Ormandy and the Philadelphia with Gilbert Johnson as the featured trumpet.

I don't know why Tom, but on ALL the versions I have it's spelt 'A-N-T-A-R-T-I-C-A ? no extra C

No idea why? On the film score it is, indeed SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC.

Can anyone explain? confused