• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2008
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: "The Final Countdown" (Europe)

punk

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!! shocked

Oh come on! It's FUN!

No! It's not! shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I really like it though it took a few listens to really sink in, I hope he doesn't take as long as the space between this and his first solo album before he releases something new?

I agree, but he does in fact have THREE solo albums out. The self-titled one from 1978, ABOUT FACE from 1984 and then ON AN ISLAND from 2006.

ooops! shame

Have all of em......that's what happens when LP's have been years in storage spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : APOLLO ATMOSPHERES AND SOUNDTRACKS - Brian Eno

Not sure if this was ever a score to something but I've heard tracks used in various progs, documentaries etc. Incredibly spacial and very relaxing. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorjedizim
    Been listening to Good to Be Bad by Whitesnake. New album for them, and I am loving it!!!!
    punk
    ---- Well, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't a no holds barred, adrenaline fueled thrill ride. But, there is no way you can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    jedizim wrote
    Been listening to Good to Be Bad by Whitesnake. New album for them, and I am loving it!!!!
    punk

Good to see it's not just me n' Thor filling this thread! smile wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Music of the Spheres - Mike Oldfield

Love it!

cool

Has anyone heard the live recording on iTunes? Any opinions?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jim Ware wrote
    Music of the Spheres - Mike Oldfield

Love it!

cool

Has anyone heard the live recording on iTunes? Any opinions?

Such an excellent album and far far better than most recent scores, it's like film music but it's got THEMES full of great melodic structure . cool

Didn't know about the live recording?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjedizim
    Timmer wrote
    jedizim wrote
    punk

Heh heh...I don't listen to movie scores ALL the time. 80% of the time maybe...but I enjoy lots of different music.
    ---- Well, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't a no holds barred, adrenaline fueled thrill ride. But, there is no way you can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2008
    Symphony No. 1----Chris Walden

For a first symphony (published and played) this is a noble effort and one that is worth exploring. I am working on my review of it.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2008
    sdtom wrote
    Symphony No. 1----Chris Walden

For a first symphony (published and played) this is a noble effort and one that is worth exploring. I am working on my review of it.

Never heard of him Tom but I'll look forward to your review. Is this on NAXOS?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2008 edited
    jedizim wrote
    Timmer wrote
    jedizim wrote
    punk

Heh heh...I don't listen to movie scores ALL the time. 80% of the time maybe...but I enjoy lots of different music.

cool

NP : THE EARLY YEARS - Roxy Music

Very good compilation includes old favourites like Do The Strand and Street Life and my favourite In Every Dream Home A Heartache which has ermmmm very interesting lyrics wink , and for anyone who likes overblown electric guitar solos ( like me! ) the last few minutes of the track are absolutely killer and will "blow your mind"! cool
  1. NP: My Father Knew Charles Ives (John Adams)

Now John Adams is someone who really knows what an orchestra can do. He can write to its limits, and those limits are considerable. (One might say this is a contrast to ... hmmm... Mike Oldfield? wink ) Here he evokes the music of Ives (through similar techniques and quasi-quotation) while retaining his own stylistic traits.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: My Father Knew Charles Ives (John Adams)

Now John Adams is someone who really knows what an orchestra can do. He can write to its limits, and those limits are considerable. (One might say this is a contrast to ... hmmm... Mike Oldfield? wink ) Here he evokes the music of Ives (through similar techniques and quasi-quotation) while retaining his own stylistic traits.

Karl Jenkins did Oldfield's orchestration. I'd seriously doubt Adams is anywhere near Oldfield's skills with multiple instruments, some of which he's more than a 'jack of all trades' in.

There was no need for your little dig at Mike Oldfield here.
  2. Among the excellent CDs you sent me - Hovanhess, Ifukube and Oldfield - it was Oldfield unfortunately who stood out for the wrong reasons. I mention it because I'm surprised - even on this page of this thread - how much people have loved Music of the Spheres, which struck me as more in the class of Yanni than a classical-level work. I didn't know Karl Jenkins (who I've heard of, but whose work I don't know) did the orchestrations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    the label is origin classical #OC33002. Walden conducts the Hollywood Studio Symphony Orchestra so I'm guessing he had a decent budget including a bit of backing.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Among the excellent CDs you sent me - Hovanhess, Ifukube and Oldfield - it was Oldfield unfortunately who stood out for the wrong reasons. I mention it because I'm surprised - even on this page of this thread - how much people have loved Music of the Spheres, which struck me as more in the class of Yanni than a classical-level work. I didn't know Karl Jenkins (who I've heard of, but whose work I don't know) did the orchestrations.

Apart from having heard his name I know nothing and have heard nothing by Yanni so I've no idea what you mean.

What was the Oldfield work I sent you Michael?
  3. Ah, wait, it wasn't you who sent me Music of the Spheres - it was someone else! shame

(I did really like that Ifukube disk, incidentally.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Ah, wait, it wasn't you who sent me Music of the Spheres - it was someone else! shame

cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Ah, wait, it wasn't you who sent me Music of the Spheres - it was someone else! shame

Me?
  4. Names will be withheld to protect the guilty. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Names will be withheld to protect the guilty. wink

Nothing to be guilty of!
  5. Cough cough - the method of delivery - cough cough.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Cough cough - the method of delivery - cough cough.

Ah! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STRANGE DAYS - The Doors

I love the Doors cool
  6. Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope

Barely anyone knows of this singer. Whatever anti-folk is, the music is really amazing and so are the lyrics. The way she plays the piano is very good and she is a VERY original voice. And, due to her Jewish-Russian heritage and over 10 years in New York, a very original accent. Recommended.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2008
    NP : AH-UM - Charles Mingus

Lovely! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : INCANTATIONS - Mike Oldfield

Exceptional! cool
  7. And underrated! An Oldfield fan I know was completely hating Incantations, calling it overly long and plain boring (because of the minimalistic main motivic idea probably) and when I heard it I actually found it very good. Possibly. because I am a big fan of the alternate major-minor key motif in first part (don't remember if it appears in the second one) of Ommadawn.

I must admit though that I can't warm up to Tubular Bells somehow. Possibly, because I find it a bit too raw for my taste and I have problems with the fact it constantly tries to fight for my attention, so it turns me off after the first (amazing) part.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    And underrated! An Oldfield fan I know was completely hating Incantations, calling it overly long and plain boring (because of the minimalistic main motivic idea probably) and when I heard it I actually found it very good. Possibly. because I am a big fan of the alternate major-minor key motif in first part (don't remember if it appears in the second one) of Ommadawn.

I must admit though that I can't warm up to Tubular Bells somehow. Possibly, because I find it a bit too raw for my taste and I have problems with the fact it constantly tries to fight for my attention, so it turns me off after the first (amazing) part.

Have you ever heard The Orchestral Tubular Bells Pawel? It's orchestrated by David Bedford who's worked on a few of the early Oldfield albums including Incantations.

I love the original Tubular Bells and that "rawness" is part of what I like cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2008
    NP: MEDDLE (Pink Floyd)

Continuing my journey through my PF collection. This is probably Timmer's favourite PF album, and it's high up there for me too. Truly epic at times.
    I am extremely serious.