• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008 edited
    So, the year is ending in a few hours. I think i've heard every major (and not only) release enough this year to decide which i liked the most and which i considered the most notable this year has to showcase. They are these 10 very good scores:

1. JAMES NEWTON HOWARD – Defiance --> In an age where quantity and easily-digested, bastardized musical amalgams are usually the rule against coherent musical works, JNH's "Defiance" comes as a breath of fresh air through the fabulous violin work and tight thematic material of this orchestral score, lazily (but accurately i believe) spotted as his "Schindler's List"

2. ALEXANDRE DESPLAT – the curious case of Benjamin Button - Desplat is not for everyone; but his music is a child of elegance, refinery and musical balance, not often met; his delicate motific and thematic elaboration is charming and the heart of each and every work he produces - no matter how small-scale or quirky (to some), is of admirable qualities.

3. JAMES NEWTON HOWARD – the happening; James Newton Howard is undeniably one of the (if not THE) most important few real artists film music has to benefit from and Shyamalan with James Newton Howard are a purely gold recipe. "Be with you" is easily the year's most outstanding single composition in the film music medium, imo.

4. JOHAN SODERQVIST – let the right one in ; JOHAN SODERQVIST's output, although limited so far, shows a very sensitive and cultivated artist at heart; This MovieScore Media release contains some of the best material i've heard in this genre, with a score balancing between classy horror and purely sweeping, emotional passages of sheer beauty.

5. ALBERTO IGLEASIAS – che; Alberto is in the same category as Desplat imo; almost every single work he produced during the last 8 or so years is narrowly accepted but of singularly musical character, personality and quality imo. Che, an amalgam of clever dissonance and the usual emotionally charged and fragile melodies of Iglesias, is easily one of the most unique - but also difficult, scores of the year.

6. JOHN POWELL – stop loss; When Powell gets serious, the results are outstanding. Granted this score suffers on CD from some long underscoring passages of average interest, still it contains some of the strongest thematic material heard this year, with the melancholic melody and passion of the main theme and pieces like "The Greatest Tragedy" standing out in front of a vast portion of anything written in the medium this year.

7. DANNY ELFMAN – Wanted; When big boys come around the corner to show to the young and inexperienced fancy boys with their fancy toys how proper film music is being done. Some boys are simply bigger than others.

8. CARTER BURWELL – In Bruges; Along with BURN AFTER READING (not mentioning the careless and particularly inferior exception that is TWILIGHT), Burwell once again showed how unique and esoteric his musical voice is. In Bruges contains some of the most beautiful piano music ever to be found in modern film music.

9. PINO DONAGGIO – Oorlogswinter ; old-fashioned, sweeping and emotionally passionate orchestral score with a largely memorable main theme. For some it might sound as too melodramatic or over the top, but if you're fond of unrestrained energy in your music and arrangements / sound that send to past eras, this is for you.

-10a. ADRIAN JOHNSTON – brideshead revisited; elegant and classy, this lyrical score is a very notable collection of deeply thematic and melodic period music that - like the majority of Johnston's output, has some very strong to say.

-10b. PAUL CANTELON - the other Boleyn girl; very similar in essence and in philosophy with the above, only the former is done better; still, especially coming from a new name in the field and for a very mediocre movie which it DID elevate largely, this score is very notable as it contains some of the boldest (thematic-wise) melodies heard this year.

Honorable mentions:

BRIAN TYLER - Eagle Eye; excellent dynamics, unstoppable energy, technically brilliant, bold and adrenaline-pumped. If it had more character and personality (like it seems to be the wider problem with Tyler's music), this would be the best score of the year.

JAMES HORNER - boy with the stripped pyjamas; fragile and led by tender piano, smooth and melodic. But it's a tremendously long experience on the album and very one-dimensional as far as thematic approach is concerned. Still, easily above the mediocre majority of the year.

DANNY ELFMAN - standard operating procedure - Very, very good score but a little too Philip Glass influenced. In Hellboy II and some bits of WANTED, this influence is done way more cleverly and indirectly. I don't think a composer of the magnitude of Elfman really needs to plagiarize anyone.

MICHAEL GIACCHINO - roar; this piece is how PROPER film music should be done. But since there are strong debates or whether it actually IS film music or not, i am not placing it in my top-10 (something i originally considered doing).

ATLI ORVARSSON - Babylon A.D.- the Requiem material circling around the choral core and the main theme are some of the most brilliant isolated highlights of the year. Sadly, on CD it gets suffocated by the hordes of impersonal underscore.

PHILIPPE ROMBI - Bienvenue Chez les Ch'tis; As always with Rombi, this is unattainably romantic and sweeping, but coming after such a gem as ANGEL, it can't help but to appear as significantly smaller. Still, it's very, very enjoyable and feel-good romance.

HANS ZIMMER and JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - the dark knight; despite the large tendency against it, i truly think that this is an example of a purely excellent (in essence of the term and programme music in general) modern film score, one which tremendously elevates an already brilliant modern film. Kudos to the team, more space for JNH to actually insert his musical character next time.

MAX RICHTER - Waltz with Bashir; Although deeply demanding, Richter's music is some of the most introvert examples of film* music (*not with the strictest meaning) and certainly the year's most original album, imo.

[edited to add]

ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Largo Winch; Desplat's BOND. A step beyond his other action scores from the past, FIREWALL and HOSTAGE, with even more mature arrangements, rich orchestration and surprisingly melodic material. Far worthier than the Quantum of Solace score by Arnold, imo.

MICHAEL GIACCHINO - Turning point: fall of liberty. Raw, big, evil, loud and technically impressive, Giacchino once again gives lessons of proper orchestral arrangements and adequate use of instrumentation in order to create a primal archetype of aggressive orchestral music that knows where to stop and how to keep the right musical balance. A game score that is beyond a large number of film scores out there today.

Knut Avenstroup Haugen - Age of Conan: the hyborian adventures; Whilst on a completely different musical venues than the above, Knut has too produced an outstanding score that goes beyond and "game score" labels. It's a very charming amalgam of western music and instrumentation crossed with properly done and imaginative middle-eastern instrumental ensembles. Despite how cliched and tired the later sub-genre might come across in the film music outcome of late, still Knut managed to resurrect it via a varicolored and thematically-heavy score that shines amidst the best of year.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So, comments? What are yours? Please no title-only lists! wave beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008
    I'm WAY too behind to have any clue on this topic (not to mention lots of confusion about what came out this year and what came out in, say, 2006 or 2007).

But from your list, STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE is the real stand-out here. Slick, smooth, minimalist with a twist, elegant, melodic. I know that Timmer doesn't really like Elfman, but I'm quite positive that he would like this.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I save my Best of 2008 until February of 2009 just to make sure that all the 2008 scores have been released and that I can take a month (January) to re-evaluate everything.

However, Demetris, I'm absolutely SHOCKED to see Boleyn Girl on your list especially after our heated argument on the subject which includes you saying ""this sounds like the most generic period stuff I've heard in ages."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know, i don't have a problem admitting a complete change of view, after i've watched the movie and especially in comparison with 2008's outcome, a rather lukewarm one i'd say. It happened twice 'till now, one was this and the other was with THE PAINTED VEIL, in similar fashion. But still, when i play it, i skip more than half the cues out of the CD, unlike Brideshead revisited.

Fair enough about the postponing of your list 'till later, but any comments? beer wave
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I love the fact you included two of my most favourite scores of 2008; Pino Donaggio's Oorlogswinter and Johan Söderqvist's Låt den Rätte Komma In. But, where's Armand Amar?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Not particularly fond of his outcome of late my friend. I don't like it that he's turned all Philip Glass-y.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Not particularly fond of his outcome of late my friend. I don't like it that he's turned all Philip Glass-y.

*Throws 100 Bollywood song cds at Demetris*

Ah c'mon! Armand Amar has been doing that kind of 'minimalism' for quite some time now. It's just that his other scores had a bigger presence of the ethnic-influenced ideas which are perhaps the kind you seek.

I do like Sagan and Le Jeune Fille et Les Loups but he's done much better.

Nice list! I think you covered a lot of my favorites. Can't think of anything else to add besides Wall-E. I will have to check that Soderqvist on SST.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2008
    Maybe; i don't care if he's been doing it before my friend, it still is Philip Glass / Nyman territory. A lot of people are doing it and i like it, i really do, but not when it goes very prominent smile I am not saying it's not good and obviously he has a lot more fans now than 3-4 years back, but personally, when i hear Amar, i want to listen to the Amar of Bab'Aziz, Va, vis et deviens, La Terre vue du ciel and Amen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote
    ...but personally, when i hear Amar, i want to listen to the Amar of Bab'Aziz, Va, vis et deviens, La Terre vue du ciel and Amen.

Agreed! smile
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Maybe; i don't care if he's been doing it before my friend, it still is Philip Glass / Nyman territory. A lot of people are doing it and i like it, i really do, but not when it goes very prominent smile I am not saying it's not good and obviously he has a lot more fans now than 3-4 years back, but personally, when i hear Amar, i want to listen to the Amar of Bab'Aziz, Va, vis et deviens, La Terre vue du ciel and Amen.

Now that's ironic. One of the reasons I loved LA TERRE, which was the first thing I heard from him, was its pretty extensive borrowings from Philip Glass! wink (Except when it was borrowing from world music albums wholesale.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I'm WAY too behind to have any clue on this topic (not to mention lots of confusion about what came out this year and what came out in, say, 2006 or 2007).

But from your list, STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE is the real stand-out here. Slick, smooth, minimalist with a twist, elegant, melodic. I know that Timmer doesn't really like Elfman, but I'm quite positive that he would like this.

Yes, I've heard a few possitive remarks from non Elf-fans on this, I look forward to hearing it.

You're right that I don't like a lot of Elfman's music but I do have the utmost respect for him as a composer and musician.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well I doubt I'm going to hear anything better between now and 2009 which begins in a little under 15 hours.

10. Quantum Of Solace - David Arnold

While it didn't seem to be everyones cup of tea, and it's arguably one of his weaker Bond scores, what it lacked in consistency it made up for in loud, aggressive action music and interesting use of the vamp.

09. Turning Point: Fall Of Liberty - Michael Giacchino

Giacchino is known to write some rather violent music, but this is the epitome of violent music. You'll come out with bruises.

08. Horton Hears A Who! - John Powell

After waiting for I've-no-idea-how-long, we finally get a Powell score that I'm proud to call a Powell score. While a little light on the side of thematic development, Powell outdid himself with crazy orchestrations. I still want to see the 30ft water machine.

07. Largo Winch - Alexandre Desplat

As D has pointed out, this is a much better Bond score than this years Bond score! Maybe a little light on action, but those themes are so addictive!

06. Cloverfield - Michael Giacchino

I don't care if it isn't used in a specific scene. I don't care if it was written for a film that specifically went unscored. It's used in a film, written by a film composer. It's film music - proper film music.

05. Eagle Eye - Brian Tyler

My speakers have exploded. That's all that needs to be said. Epic stuff.

04. Wanted - Danny Elfman

Elfman goes half Powell and half Giacchino for the years best action score. Not only that, he writes a damn good song too!

03. The Dark Knight - Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard

I'm not usually a big fan of Zimmer. And I'll be the first to say I wasn't expecting much from this score. But what it might not fulfil in big thematic material it sure makes up for in use of synths and recording methods. A lesson in sound design.

02. Afrika - Wataru Hokoyama

The years ultimate in big orchestral fun. Great themes, great orchestrations, great performance! Bravo!

01. Lost (Season 4) - Michael Giacchino

It might have the advantage of being four seasons in, but Giacchino's TV music outdoes any film music written this year. Spectacular new themes for the Freighter and the Oceanic Six and more clever usage of all the previous material. I beg for a release!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony's list reminded me of 2 huge omissions in the honorable mentions' list, 2 game scores that outshine a lot of film scores out there today. First one is Giacchino's TURNING POINT FALL OF LIBERTY which i was going to include but strangely i thought it was a 2007 release confused And of course the outstanding Age of Conan: the hyborian adventures by Knut Avenstroup Haugen.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Also Mercenaries 2: World In Flames - but that's my #11. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Howabout scores that were released on CD this year?

I'm sure others here will remember some that I've forgotten but here's a few off the top of my head....

HEAVY METAL - ELMER BERNSTEIN....easily THE release of the year...past or present!

MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS - JOHN BARRY

QUEST FOR FIRE - PHILIPPE SARDE

6 CD GEORGES DELERUE BOX
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Gotta go with the Indy boxset as my favourite release of 2008.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    MICHAEL GIACCHINO - Turning point: fall of liberty. Raw, big, evil, loud and technically impressive, Giacchino once again gives lessons of proper orchestral arrangements and adequate use of instrumentation in order to create a primal archetype of aggressive orchestral music that knows where to stop and how to keep the right musical balance. A game score that is beyond a large number of film scores out there today.

Is this available in any form to buy?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Which I've yet to get.
  3. Steven wrote

There's been some excellent boxed set releases this year. As well as the Indie release there's the Bernstein boxed set, the Superman set and (for the order ones among us) the Department S and Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) releases. (Though, the latter two are let down by the 200+ cues per box format).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's available in the special edition version of the game.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    If I had to go for best releases, #1 would have to be Lost season 3, #2 would be the Indy set and #3 would be El Cid.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I still go with Bernstein's HEAVY METAL simply because it had never been released on CD before....and it's such a bloody fantastic score!
  4. Anthony wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's available in the special edition version of the game.

Any particular format?
  5. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I still go with Bernstein's HEAVY METAL simply because it had never been released on CD before....and it's such a bloody fantastic score!

And it got you out of providing me with track titles to the version you sent me some time ago. wink
  6. I don't know if these belong in the 'best of' category. But IMO certainly belong to the 'most fun' category:

Hancock and Kung Fu Panda

Especially for the last couple of months, these two gets the most playtime from me.

Oh, and best release? Definitely El Cid. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

And it got you out of providing me with track titles to the version you sent me some time ago. wink

I just couldn't quite work it out, listening to the legit release I think one or two tracks on the boot were just the score minus choir?
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    To me the ten best scores of year were:

1. Pino Donaggio 's Oorlogswinter
    2. Johan Söderqvist - Låt den Rätte Komma In
    3. Zbigniew Preisner - Anomya
    4. Armand Amar - La Jeune Fille et les Loups
    5. Het Paleis van Boem - TBS
    6. Christian Henson - Zomerhitte
    7. Craig Armstrong - The Incredible Hulk
    8. Jan A.P. Kaczmarek - The Visitor
    9. Het Paleis van Boem - Skin
    10. Alexandre Desplat - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    I don't know if these belong in the 'best of' category. But IMO certainly belong to the 'most fun' category:

Hancock and Kung Fu Panda

[Parts of] Hancock and [all of] Kung Fu Panda are firmly in my best-of list, that's for sure.

There seems to be some negative opinions towards Kung Fu Panda unfortunately. I think the problem is those who like it LOVE it, and those that don't get fed up with its hype. Also, the subject matter it was composed for, perhaps even the name 'Kung Fu Panda', may play some part in people's opinions and instill some sort of negativity towards it, as though deeming it unworthy of such praise? Personally, I think the film is an extremely well-made piece of animation with real heart and hilarious jokes and physical gags. The score simply matches the awesomeness of the film!