• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2009
    BluntedBoyWonder wrote
    Will listen to John Frizzell - VR.5 next, a television score from 1995 I've never heard before.

I seem to remember that's pretty good, actually.

NP: an almost forgotten one, gatehring dust in my cupboard: The Field - Elmer Bernstein
    Lovely celtic overtones (the story is set in Ireland) and a soft melodic touch make thjis a very pleasurable latterday Bernstein outing.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote

THE CLAIM | mychael nyman

The dark and depressive mood continues, but this is a stronger score.

Absolutely love it. Wanted more of this Nyman, but i guess apart GATACCA and The Libertine he hasn't really done it again?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2009 edited
    Augh! I had to turn off Et Après (Afterwards). A slow moving snore fest. I don't see the appeal of Desplat at all. He has talent... no doubt about that... but I'm just left absolutely dumbfounded how anyone can stay awake listening to something like this.

Time to wake up...

NP: Beowulf - Alan Silvestri

Why not? Still the weakest Zemeckis/Silvestri score but I really play it to listen to Dennis Sands' fooking awesome recording!!! And that "The Seduction" cue is splendid!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Augh! I had to turn off Et Après (Afterwards). A slow moving snore fest. I don't see the appeal of Desplat at all. He has talent... no doubt about that... but I'm just left absolutely dumbfounded how anyone can stay awake listening to something like this.

I kind of agree there. I mean I can hear the man has bucket loads of talent, and he's got something pretty special going on... but most of his scores really end up being 'background' music for me. His score to Largo Winch, as addictive as those themes are, lacks the energy that a score like that I think should have. I have much more fun with a score like Bolt. THAT has energy!
  1. NP: John Frizzell - VR.5

Well, it's pretty good for a Frizzell score. Man, he has done a lot of crap. How can someone do something as brilliant as "Alien: Resurrection" and also do something as stinky as "Stay Alive"??

I liked the diverse composing in "VR.5" and he showed a broad musical talent here, but overall it didn't really grab my attention. Might have something to do with Martijn's shouting, too moon

Up next: John Debney - The Relic (Promo)! Great bombastic, uncomplicated horror score here. Me like 'em smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BluntedBoyWonder wrote
    Up next: John Debney - The Relic (Promo)! Great bombastic, uncomplicated horror score here. Me like 'em smile

Killer string music in that score as well.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Get Smart - Trevor Rabin

I always like Rabin. He's got this rock 'n' roll attitude going on which I really appreciate: big power chords and major over the top orchestration. Not for all seasons, to be sure, but now and again I find I really like that. And this is not a bad example at all! Very infectious!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FIRST KNIGHT - Jerry Goldsmith

punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

punk

Which version though?? (The official one I take it?)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

punk

No! The one YOU did for me! rolleyes wink beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - John Williams

Love this one! smile
  2. NP: Brian Tyler - Fast And The Furious: Tokyo Drift

Gotta love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

Why not? Still the weakest Zemeckis/Silvestri score but I really play it to listen to Dennis Sands' fooking awesome recording!!! And that "The Seduction" cue is splendid!

-Erik-

I don't think it's all that good, but worse than Romancing the Stone or Death Becomes Her? Really?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Pane e Liberta - Ennio Morricone

Oh Ennio, how great thou art. The main theme may be Novecento II, but that doesn't mean it's not great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Timmer wrote

I met Caroline a few years ago too and totally agree with you, a very warm and friendly person and still damned good looking, I don't know how old she is but it must be between 50-60?

Where did you meet her Eric? I met her at the Birmingham NEC at a Memorabilia show with lots of other stars of Cult TV and Sci-Fi.

Hey Timmer , I've met Caroline in Holland at a record & movie fair , can't remember the actual name of the fair though . You're totally right , she still looks lovely . She's 59 now ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote
    NP: L'Enquête Corse - Alexandre Desplat
    Another "seventies secret agent film" pastiche score: basically it's Austin Powers meets Johnny English meets The Incredibles.
    Not bad (quite good, actually), but not brimming with originality.
    A most pleasant listen, though.

I'm not a huge fan of it. Very repetitive is how I would describe it.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Et Après (Afterwards) - Alexandre Desplat

First listen... first track... is it just me or it the theme a bastardized version of John Williams' Monica's Theme from A.I.?! uhm

It's a lot closer to 'Wong Chia Chi's' theme from LUST, CAUTION. Same rhythm, same orchestration, even a couple of intervals in the opening phrase.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2009
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I don't think it's all that good, but worse than Romancing the Stone or Death Becomes Her? Really?

Yup! I think Romancing The Stone worked very well in the movie and as dated as it is works very well in the 1980's styled Indiana Jonesesque adventure comedy.

Death Becomes Her is a delight. Witty, fun, old school, dark and down right silly. Silvestri hadn't written score like that before or since. Very fresh... which is something Beowulf is lacking.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Et Après (Afterwards) - Alexandre Desplat

First listen... first track... is it just me or it the theme a bastardized version of John Williams' Monica's Theme from A.I.?! uhm

It's a lot closer to 'Wong Chia Chi's' theme from LUST, CAUTION. Same rhythm, same orchestration, even a couple of intervals in the opening phrase.

I'm talking about the melody.

-Erik-
  4. Both composers do channel Debussy quite a bit, if you're comparing the way both melodies head off at the end. (Williams going up, Desplat going down.)

NP: 'Kind of Red' - Afterwards (Desplat)

I love this kind of stuff. I love a composer who can make the moments where nothing is happening alive with detail. I know it's not for everyone, but it's rare voices like this one that keep me interested in this genre.
  5. Dumbo by Frank Churchill and Oliver Wallace

Casey Junior, Pink Elephants on Parade, Song of the Roustabouts, When I See An Elelphant Fly... just a true classic that deserved more nominations.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

punk

I did!? Wow. I really don't remember that at all! dizzy

I wish the film was as good as the score. I remember when I first heard it thinking "Christ, this must be a great film!?" Alas, no.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

punk

I wish the film was as good as the score. I remember when I first heard it thinking "Christ, this must be a great film!?" Alas, no.

Ah yes... the life of a Goldsmith fan. Sad, really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    "The Best of Ennio Morricone" - a home-made compilation

This guy's a one-off. A genius.
    • CommentAuthormirdle
    Bregt wrote
    NP: ENIGMA | john barry

A bit monotonous sometimes, but the Barry sound all over it. It's a dark and quite depressing score, with a more uplifting main theme (well, in the first half). Was this his last score then?

I really like this score. One of my most oft-played Barry's. Maybe it's because I liked the movie too.
  6. NP: The Third Man (Anton Karas)

I hate Silva's re-recording of this score. The playing of the zither seems to completely lack the spark of the OST, and the concert-style recording of the sound is just wrong for what should be a busker-type sound. I would prefer my dialogue-and-FX-riddled copy of the original soundtrack recording. It may be dirty, but at least the music sounds alive. (Which is a shame, as this is the only dialogue-and-FX-free copy of the whole score. Unlike what a lot of people think, there's a lot more than 2 themes here. It's a solid and original effort.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    mirdle wrote
    Bregt wrote
    NP: ENIGMA | john barry

A bit monotonous sometimes, but the Barry sound all over it. It's a dark and quite depressing score, with a more uplifting main theme (well, in the first half). Was this his last score then?

I really like this score. One of my most oft-played Barry's. Maybe it's because I liked the movie too.

Good for you Mirdle. As a massive Barry fan I would put Enigma very low down the ranks of the composers work but hot damn it's still a fine listen. Even on an off day Barry is wayyyyyy beyond the majority of 'so called' composers working now.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

punk

No probs Steven, I have a lot of CDR's where I can't remember who sent me them, you can take that as a compliment that I remembered beer

As for the film, I've not seen it and I have no intention to.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    "The Best of Ennio Morricone" - a home-made compilation

This guy's a one-off. A genius.

Yes he is!

Now if only people would stop bandying around that word "genius" for far lesser mortals.
  7. NP: Michel Legrand ~ Il Était Une Fois... La Vie

I just found this and man-- if you're European and somewhere between 25 - 40 and you didn't see this as a kid, you had a rotten, dour childhood. Ok- so maybe I am exaggarating (but only just a little.)

If you don't recognise this from the title alone, you might just experience some major flashback action seconds after you clicked here smile